WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates (Page 30): The Jungle Book - 60.8M (96M OS) | The Huntsman: Winter's War - 20.1M | Barbershop 3 - 10.8M | Zootopia - 6.6M | BvS - 5.5M

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So The Huntsman will make less in total than what Snow White and the Huntsman made in its opening weekend.

You know, I didn't exactly like Snow White and the Huntsman (but didn't hate it either), but I almost contemplated seeing this just because that cast is so damn good. Once the horrible reviews came in, though, that was enough to turn us away and just not bother. And I wouldn't be shocked if other people felt the same way.

That's the real shame about this movie, isn't it? If the movie was even taken a little bit seriously it had so much potential with that cast.

If they had taken that cast, that budget and made something else with them, I bet it would have grossed more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Top 4 DOM for Jan-Apr is looking strong...

1. Deadpool: $360 million
  2. Zootopia: $340 million
  3. The Jungle Book: $335 million
  4. Batman vs. Superman: $330 million

Add in Civil War, X-Men, Dory, ID42, Pets, and SS - 2016's top 10 could feasibly be made up of all $225 million+ DOM grossers. With Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Moana ,Rogue One and Sing remaining for late 2016.

Forget 225. What's the record for most $300M movies in a year?

Nevermind, just looked it up, the record used to be 5 movies in 2012, but then 2015 just broke it with 6 last year.

What do you guys think? I say 2016 could shatter the old record. I want to see 10 movies hit $300M this year!

Who's with me? 10th place movie over $300M this year?

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Assuming BVS has a 70% increase today and 38% decrease tomorrow:

1.5M Friday

2.6M Saturday

1.6M Sunday

5.7M Weekend

It needed a hold like this, but I don't know what's in store for next weekend.

I'd think a mid 40% drop next weekend (as this one is a recovery weekend for it), and 55-65% drop after that when Civil War brings down the thunder.

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

Top 4 DOM for Jan-Apr is looking strong...

1. Deadpool: $360 million
  2. Zootopia: $340 million 
  3. The Jungle Book: $335 million 
  4. Batman vs. Superman: $330 million 

Add in Civil War, X-Men, Dory, ID42, Pets, and SS - 2016's top 10 could feasibly be made up of all $225 million+ DOM grossers. With Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts, Moana ,Rogue One and Sing remaining for late 2016.

I'm no box office expert, but I'd put Passengers above some of those, based on the reaction to the footage at CinemaCon. http://variety.com/2016/film/news/cinemacon-buzzmeter-whats-hot-and-cold-in-las-vegas-1201752133/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/passengers/jennifer-lawrence-chris-pratt-cinemacon-footage/

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kitik said:

Forget 225. What's the record for most $300M movies in a year?

Nevermind, just looked it up, the record used to be 5 movies in 2012, but then 2015 just broke it with 6 last year.

What do you guys think? I say 2016 could shatter the old record. I want to see 10 movies hit $300M this year!

Who's with me? 10th place movie over $300M this year?

2016 will definitely tie the record, as it's already up 3 w/Deadpool, Zootopia and BVS, and will feature 3 other locks in The Jungle Book, Civil War and Rogue One. You add the inevitable Finding Dory as well, and yes, record will undoubtedly be broken. 

10 300M movies is a bit of a stretch, though. Suicide Squad has potential should it break out GOTG style (and since I expect it to have a 100M+ debut, the 1st one in August history, plus no competition - similar story to Jungle Book - I think it can do it), then you got Moana which could always reach it, assuming that it captures the hearts of people the way Frozen and Zootopia did. A 3rd one is tougher.... maybe Independence Day? Hype is surging after the last trailer, movie's definitely got four quadrant appeal and it could be the Jurassic World-ish nostalgiarific spectacle of 2016. It's possible, but I wouldn't really bet on it happening.

Maybe this could be a club, though.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Barbershop performs like last weekend sans previews:

3.1M Friday

3.8M Saturday

2.3M Sunday

9.2M Weekend

Not a good hold when everything else is doing sub 50 drops.

Should be 3.5x Friday like ride along

10.5-11m

I can see, that'd be 10 300m films.

Star Wars: Rogue One - 550m

Finding Dory - 500m

Captain America: Civil War - 450m

Deadpool - 360m

Moana - 350m

Zootopia - 335m

The Jungle Book - 330m

Batman v Superman - 325m

Suicide Squad - 315m

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 300m / Some other major breakout

• Like 5

wow Huntsman is just bombing. It might be the biggest bomb this year yet. They should have asked Kristen Stewart back. I am positive a sequel with her since the first one was basically about her would have done way way better than this disaster. Good holds for BvS and Zoo. JB says itself

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

wow Huntsman is just bombing. It might be the biggest bomb this year yet. They should have asked Kristen Stewart back. I am positive a sequel with her since the first one was basically about her would have done way way better than this disaster. Good holds for BvS and Zoo. JB says itself

She didn't want to come back and no it wouldn't have. This was the definition of a sequel (or a prequel, or a whatever it is) that no one wanted.

Looks like Zootopia could have a bigger eighth weekend than TFA ($6,973,316) and consequently, a better eighth weekend than any movie released in 2014 or 2015. In fact, based on BOM's list, it has a little chance of cracking the Top 20 (needs to beat The King's Speech's $7,230,790 weekend). This bunny has great legs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

A 3rd one is tougher.... maybe Independence Day? Hype is surging after the last trailer, movie's definitely got four quadrant appeal and it could be the Jurassic World-ish nostalgiarific spectacle of 2016. It's possible, but I wouldn't really bet on it happening.

Is it really though?