CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

H so Civil War is going to have about a fifty-million-dollar Friday or what the force awakens did in previews. :P

i feel like silence is gonna get underrated. folks just want goodfellas again and again with scorsese. his subtler/restrained stuff like last temptation, innocence (aka his best stuff) always end up underrated.

I love that once Rth updated, all the other numbers from other sites become irrelevant and not worth being in the title anymore. 

I have to be honest, I am disappointed with the estimates. Really thought with excellent reviews and good will from Cap 2 as well as addition of Iron Man, Spiderman and Black Panther would take it to atleast 210 million on opening weekend.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

How's this for edge? The Shining isn't remotely frightening and is actually kinda boring. Same goes for the first Alien, now that I think about it.

It's tough for a director to keep the fright level high while also hinting to the audience that he actually faked the moon landing on a set outside of Tucson. 

FWIW, the studio prediction itself was 175M. I think the box office sites like BO.com understandably reasoned that fantastic reviews + pseudo-Avengers film but in name = higher OW. In the end, should it land in the 180-190M range, that's great. It's making twice TWS' opening -- that is fantastic.

Expectations once again got carried away but that's not new.

• Like 1

I think Disney made an interesting choice to leave money on the table by not titling this Avengers: Civil War, which they clearly would have been justified in doing.  I think there's no question the brand alone would have increased the opening weekend.  By how much, I'm not sure.  But it also allows three years between "real" Avengers movies, which I guess also has some value.

Maybe they should have split the difference: Captain America: Avengers at War.  

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Normally that's what is meant by Friday business... Or at least what I mean by that. :)

Well, right now the consensus is that they're going to be about equal in terms of Friday excluding Thursday previews. Are you going to be shocked then?

16 minutes ago, Rth said:

Tied up atm quick stop by couple hrs ago had it in 74-77 range which similar to others, if presales aren't that huge there could be upside ,want it to be preforming a the very least like AOU,  ie not like BvS (the # would come down). Fantastic number no matter where it winds up.

74-77 is great #. Hopefully it goes up later, but if it doesn't it is still a great start for the OW!

• Like 3