CJohn

Weekend Thread | RTH pg 197...Mother's Day not kind to CW but very kind to JB and MD CW 42, JB 9,7, MDD 6.1,Hunts 1.48...puts CW at about 178M

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We’re hearing thatDisney’s/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War cashed in a $60M Saturday, the fifth highest ever, beating Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $56.5M last year. This points Civil War in the $180M vicinity, which would make it the fifth highest opening of all-time. By EOD tomorrow, Civil War is poised to hit $700M worldwide, and is on its way to profit in its theatrical run after a $250M production cost, and an estimated global P&A near Ultron’s $180M.

On ComScore Postrak which continually polls moviegoers throughout the weekend, Civil War has moved up to a total positive score of 88% and a 75% definite recommend to friends. That’s a tad under Ultron‘s 90% positive and 79% recommend, which isn’t a bad place to be. Audience make-up of Civil War per ComScore is 66% guys to 34% females, with 51% over 25.  Ultron was more female at 38% and younger at 55% under 25. Ethnicity breakdown for Civil War was 48% Caucasians, 19% Hispanic, 18% African American and 16% Asian/other according to ComScore.

So we do not know for sure yet if the WOM is better than AoU? 

Not to sound like a broken record, but just because TFA pulled in ~$248 mill on OW, doesn't mean that $250 mill is the new normal for good blockbusters. Every so often, a film comes out that raises the OW bar substantially. Then it usually takes around 3 years for that to be matched.

For example, The Avengers set a new bar with a $207 million OW. Then it took 3 years and one month for another film to match it (JW). The Avengers beat the previous record by $38 mill. Then JW took the record. Then TFA beat JWs record by $40 mill. It's going to be awhile before something comes along to beat TFA's record.

Even $200 million OW is not the new normal yet. Maybe next year it will be. I hope maybe people will not get so disappointed when the newest big blockbuster doesn't hit $200 mill. It's not a failure. This is just par for the course when it comes to OW growth. I still remember when The Lost World's $72 million OW made headlines for how ridiculously huge it was. That was 19 years ago. And it took another 4 years for that record to get broken by Harry Potter. Everybody, chill. :)

Edited by Intergalactic Ping Pong
  • Like 2

Just now, Intergalactic Ping Pong said:

Not to sound like a broken record, but just because TFA pulled in ~$248 mill on OW, doesn't mean that $200 mill is the new normal for good blockbusters. Every so often, a film comes out that raises the OW bar substantially. Then it usually takes around 3 years for that to be matched.

For example, The Avengers set a new bar with a $207 million OW. Then it took 3 years and one month for another film to match it (JW). The Avengers beat the previous record by $38 mill. Then JW took the record. Then TFA beat JWs record by $40 mill. It's going to be awhile before something comes along to beat TFA's record.

Even $200 million OW is not the new normal yet. Maybe next year it will be. I hope maybe people will not get so disappointed when the newest big blockbuster doesn't hit $200 mill. It's not a failure. This is just par for the course when it comes to OW growth. I still remember when The Lost World's $72 million OW made headlines for how ridiculously huge it was. That was 19 years ago. And it took another 4 years for that record to get broken by Harry Potter. Everybody, chill. :)

For real. This site makes me feel as ancient as Tele.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Episode 8 is going to be massive.  If the drop from VII to Episode VIII is proportional to the drop from I to II, you're looking at a $675M domestic haul.

TFA is much better received the TPM was.  $675M really has to be viewed as a very low-end prediction for this film.  

CW's weekend is fantastic.

Not saying it's not. I think it will be massive too but I think it will also be majorly over predicted.

13 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

For openings?  Possibly.  

Overall I think Dory has a shot at beating it.  

Either way, the Mouse cleans house this year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

I never thought about it, but you've got a point.  Adjusted for inflation, Finding Nemo sits at $528M.  CW will probably end up around $450M.  It should be a good race.

I think it depends greatly on how well the film's received. If it's classic Pixar there's no reason it can't match the original's adjusted gross, which I think is actually around $480 mil discounting the 2012 rerelease

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

We’re hearing thatDisney’s/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War cashed in a $60M Saturday, the fifth highest ever, beating Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s $56.5M last year. This points Civil War in the $180M vicinity, which would make it the fifth highest opening of all-time. By EOD tomorrow, Civil War is poised to hit $700M worldwide, and is on its way to profit in its theatrical run after a $250M production cost, and an estimated global P&A near Ultron’s $180M.

On ComScore Postrak which continually polls moviegoers throughout the weekend, Civil War has moved up to a total positive score of 88% and a 75% definite recommend to friends. That’s a tad under Ultron‘s 90% positive and 79% recommend, which isn’t a bad place to be. Audience make-up of Civil War per ComScore is 66% guys to 34% females, with 51% over 25.  Ultron was more female at 38% and younger at 55% under 25. Ethnicity breakdown for Civil War was 48% Caucasians, 19% Hispanic, 18% African American and 16% Asian/other according to ComScore.

Diverse demographic, wonder how much true Asians, did it get a bump from AfAms from Black Panther? 

Not only is this a massive hit with a $180m+ opening, but it successfully introduced Black Panther and Spider-Man as well as made Ant-Man even more popular.  Not only does this smash the previous Captain America movies (opening weekend is bigger than entire gross of CA: First Avenger and will beat the hugely popular Winter Soldier by roughly $150m+), but it also gives a boost to those 3  characters individual movies.  

• Like 3

Finding Nemo had a novelty factor, it was the most beautiful CGI movie of its time.

13 years on, we are bombarded with CGI everywhere in CGI movies, action-SCI Fi-Fantasy-Superhero blockbusters, video games, commercials , very different landscape.

There is a reason the Finding Dory trailers don't woah anybody.

Edited by The Futurist

I think some of you guys are overestimating Finding Dory.

We'll see with it. This is coming from someone who saw Finding Nemo in theaters.

The nostalgia will be there but will the movie be as powerful as say Toy Story 3? That's the next one everyone will be looking too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

but it also gives a boost to those 3  characters individual movies.  

I think that "individual movies" will become something of a rarity now, what's with Thor 3 having Hulk, Spider-Man having Tony Stark, and probably more we aren't aware of right now ;)