Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

3 hours ago, nthanh61 said:

I like this review. I think its a fair assessment of Mel and the movie. No Spoiler.

http://theweek.com/articles/657709/mel-gibson-just-made-most-violent-american-film-year-sublime

I don't agree with some of the criticisms:

Gibson's religious convictions are as deeply entrenched as the soldiers burrowed into dirt troughs, and his depiction of the non-Christian Japanese as hellspawn savages is, to say the least, upsetting.

You can read it as Gibson taking the perspective of the American soldiers, who spew ignorant hatred casually, but that might be a generosity too far.

Exactly. I don't really see how you could read it any other way, unless you're deliberately trying to bring controversy into the matter. The movie is presented through the eyes of Doss and his fellow soldiers. We experience what they experience. It's not a gods-eye-view of the battle. It's not about presenting nuance from every angle: the simple presentation is that war is utter hell and misery, and that was where this man chose to put his life in repeated danger to save others.

edit: I'm hardly any sort of expert, but I've read a fair amount about WWII (and the Pacific Theater), and especially during the later stages of the war, the Japanese troops were basically in kamikaze mode. From enlisted men up through generals, they were indoctrinated and pushed into literally "there is no other choice except to die, just kill as many as you can before it happens". Okinawa in particular was this hideous gruesome mess of a campaign, just ugly and horrific in every regard. I don't think Gibson did anything remotely off-base in his presentation of it.

Hacksaw Ridge claims to be "A true story," but it's more like a story of truthiness, keeping with the spirit of Gibson's other historical epics.

I don't think this is fair to the movie at all. From everything I've read, it seems like a fairly close telling of the various things that happened. There's some condensing of the various actions Doss takes during the battle(s), but that's very understandable. If anything, his real-life actions were even more incredible than what's shown. It's not remotely close to BRAVEHEART in terms of historical accuracy.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

I don't agree with some of the criticisms:

Exactly. I don't really see how you could read it any other way, unless you're deliberately trying to bring controversy into the matter. The movie is presented through the eyes of Doss and his fellow soldiers. We experience what they experience. It's not a gods-eye-view of the battle. It's not about presenting nuance from every angle: the simple presentation is that war is utter hell and misery, and that was where this man chose to put his life in repeated danger to save others.

edit: I'm hardly any sort of expert, but I've read a fair amount about WWII (and the Pacific Theater), and especially during the later stages of the war, the Japanese troops were basically in kamikaze mode. From enlisted men up through generals, they were indoctrinated and pushed into literally "there is no other choice except to die, just kill as many as you can before it happens". Okinawa in particular was this hideous gruesome mess of a campaign, just ugly and horrific in every regard. I don't think Gibson did anything remotely off-base in his presentation of it.

I don't think this is fair to the movie at all. From everything I've read, it seems like a fairly close telling of the various things that happened. There's some condensing of the various actions Doss takes during the battle(s), but that's very understandable. If anything, his real-life actions were even more incredible than what's shown. It's not remotely close to BRAVEHEART in terms of historical accuracy.

Letters from Iwo Jima is a fantastic movie that illustrates the late war desperation.

• Like 5

Just now, The Futurist said:

Is this violence really necessary ?

Do I need to see various complete intestines to understand that war is bad and the Savior is righteous ?

That's not really it. The point of the violence is to give you a real, visceral sense of what he was choosing to do.

• Like 5

One of the trades has done an interview with Mel about his past indescrestions and yep, he's still a disgusting human being alright. This is one comeback I'm kinda dreading, even though I will still definitely see this and very much look forward to doing so.