Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

On 10/18/2016 at 8:27 PM, UrosepsisFace said:

Mel Gibson can say whatever he wants. Braveheart was absolutely awesome and I'm so looking forward to this movie. 

Say what you want, but he's proved to me...he's a great director.

Day 1 on this movie.  Ok fine, if it works out maybe earlier.

3 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

November looks good for movies

Moonlight (maybe last weekend for October for me depends if it is released here next week)

Hacksaw Ridge

Loving

Arrival

Fantastic Beast

Nocturnal Animals

Manchester By the Sea

Lion

The Edge of Seventeen is also getting rave reviews as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

@Nutella of Arabia just watched this today and downright raved about it on Whatsapp. Looks like this will be doing well through the end of the year including awards time.

@Water Bottle and I had the chance to see it at a PGA screening. Yep, excellent stuff, though the first two-thirds play like a fairly conventional "trials at home" story. When they finally get to Okinawa, it's goes from sedate to SPR in about a half-second, haha. 

Great at stuff from everyone: the cast all does great work, Gibson's directing (while not subtle) is fantastic, and there are moments that seem almost so unbelievable and (sometimes) corny it's a revelation to find out they really happened. 

There was a brief Q&A with Gibson and the producers Bill Mechanic and David Permut. It's pretty amazing what they were able to pull off in 42 shooting days with a $42m budget (numbers directly said by Mechanic.) There's one sequence in particular where they revealed they had to shoot it in three and a half hours. 

And I think it's worth pointing out that Gibson was well-received by the crowd. Mechanic and Permut also went out of their way to give him kudos. This is gonna be an awards contender, and so is he. 

• Like 22

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

@Water Bottle and I had the chance to see it at a PGA screening. Yep, excellent stuff, though the first two-thirds play like a fairly conventional "trials at home" story. When they finally get to Okinawa, it's goes from sedate to SPR in about a half-second, haha. 

Great at stuff from everyone: the cast all does great work, Gibson's directing (while not subtle) is fantastic, and there are moments that seem almost so unbelievable and (sometimes) corny it's a revelation to find out they really happened. 

There was a brief Q&A with Gibson and the producers Bill Mechanic and David Permut. It's pretty amazing what they were able to pull off in 42 shooting days with a $42m budget (numbers directly said by Mechanic.) There's one sequence in particular where they revealed they had to shoot it in three and a half hours. 

And I think it's worth pointing out that Gibson was well-received by the crowd. Mechanic and Permut also went out of their way to give him kudos. This is gonna be an awards contender, and so is he. 

I agree with pretty much all of this (although the "trials at home" story was pretty compelling nonetheless).

I will say that any movie that makes me laugh and tear up gets an automatic A from me and thus this film got an A.

• Like 7