Blankments

Hacksaw Ridge | Nov 4 2016 | Lionsgate | WWII movie directed by Mel Gibson. Starring Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, Luke Bracey, Teresa Palmer. The movie gets the BOZ/Tele/WB seal of approval.

Mel Gibson sure knows hot to direct a bloody r-rated film.

So one month to go.

Where is the second trailer?

I find it very hard to predict the BO for Hacksaw Ridge at the moment.

Reading the reviews so far, it seems to be a fantastic film.

Edited by MrHardapple

On 6.10.2016 at 2:28 AM, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

This might get buried the weekend it comes out.  Going up against Marvel and Fox Animation.  

Maybe. But WOM will be insane. This is the sort of movie that gets the 'must see' reactions  and will spread between communities, friends and family real quick. I can already imagine people in church talking about it. Long-long time since we had a good movie with christian elements. I really think this will make over $150m in the US.

Edited by YSLDC

On 10/5/2016 at 4:28 PM, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

This might get buried the weekend it comes out.  Going up against Marvel and Fox Animation.  

Could be, but there are those who are markets neither for Marvel nor animation.  It might be good grown up counter-programming.  I'll have to see some reviews or hear some feedback, myself, but I am definitely interested, and I can see more than one movie.

2 hours ago, YSLDC said:

Maybe. But WOM will be insane. This is the sort of movie that gets the 'must see' reactions  and will spread between communities, friends and family real quick. I can already imagine people in church talking about it. Long-long time since we had a good movie with christian elements. I really think this will make over $150m in the US.

I kinda, no really, want you to be right.

Though...not seeing it.  Think it will do well though.  But 150m is a tall order.  I'll buy you a drink if you're right though (disclaimer: if you don't live in Los Angleles I'm not buying you a drink).

• Like 1

This movie is so hard to predict.

The word of mouth will be great for sure, so will critics reviews be.

But will it get any media attention starting next to Dr. Strange?

And will it be able to generate enough interest within the christian crowd to get them to buy a ticket?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrHardapple said:

This movie is so hard to predict.

The word of mouth will be great for sure, so will critics reviews be.

But will it get any media attention starting next to Dr. Strange?

And will it be able to generate enough interest within the christian crowd to get them to buy a ticket?

We will see clearer over the next weeks but to me too this is impossible to predict at the moment. Surprise opening or only fine legs? I think it will have good legs but the rest? Perhaps it has a better second weekend or an incredible hold?
And is there any competition from another faith-based movie in November or till November? I didn't see anything so I think this could work.
A film directed by Mel Gibson (still well known for The Passion and Braveheart) plus faith plus an American hero (Sniper, Survivor, Act of Valor,...many successful movies) plus very good reviews and very good WOM has so much potential to cross the 100M mark but as you said perhaps it gets (initially) just not the attention it probably deserves and only over a long-term run. Somehow I have the feeling it will do very well but this can also be wishful thinking so far.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 1

Saw an early screening of it. In my opinion, If you enjoy war movies, you'll love this movie. 

Everything was perfect. Garfield played his role superbly. Vaughn and Worthington also played their roles pretty well. Music was lovely. Movie is pretty graphic, the brutality of the war was a eyeopener.  Also the war scenes were really well directed, maybe some of the the best I've seen in a war movie. 

All hail Desmond. Gibson knocks it out of the park and I'd say its definitely a contender for Oscar. My favorite movie of the year. 

A+

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Saw an early screening of it. In my opinion, If you enjoy war movies, you'll love this movie. 

Everything was perfect. Garfield played his role superbly. Vaughn and Worthington also played their roles pretty well. Music was lovely. Movie is pretty graphic, the brutality of the war was a eyeopener.  Also the war scenes were really well directed, maybe some of the the best I've seen in a war movie. 

All hail Desmond. Gibson knocks it out of the park and I'd say its definitely a contender for Oscar. My favorite movie of the year. 

A+

There's one big topic of discussion here at work.  How was the performance of Benedict Hardie as Captain Daniels, the defence lawyer?

MV5BMjc3MTQzNTEzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTg0

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

There's one big topic of discussion here at work.  How was the performance of Benedict Hardie as Captain Daniels, the defence lawyer?

Hardie was fine. Everyone in the movie was top notch honestly. Had no issues with anyone. Vaughn playing that sarge was noteworthy for example. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

A+

Thank you for your review - this sounds great!

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

I still feel like Fury numbers are the absolute maximum for this.

Fury didn't get a 10 minute standing ovation or had people writing such enthusiastically about it. Hacksaw Ridge is poised to do more. At least i hope so. I also feel like Gibson makes movies that the mainstream can enjoy, i doubt we'll have a situation where it's a critical darling but attracts no interest from the general crowd. Braveheart adjusted sounds good ($150m).

Edited by Elessar

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Fury didn't get a 10 minute standing ovation or had people writing such enthusiastically about it. Hacksaw Ridge is poised to do more. At least i hope so. I also feel like Gibson makes movies that the mainstream can enjoy, i doubt we'll have a situation where it's a critical darling but attracts no interest from the general crowd. Braveheart adjusted sounds good ($150m).

Fury had a big draw in Brad Pitt. I love Andrew Garfield, but he's no draw yet (even with that short-lived Spider-Man stint).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Fury had a big draw in Brad Pitt. I love Andrew Garfield, but he's no draw yet (even with that short-lived Spider-Man stint).

Being a draw is not as important as it used to be. The movie looks inspirational in the ads and it has an interesting hook, i believe it's something that could attract the general audience. As long as the studio doesn't totally fuck up marketing to the point that nobody knows it's coming it could have a decent opening and WOM might do the rest.

Edited by Elessar