kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

Interesting expert perspective on the media-led hate campaign against Cats:

It can be very pleasurable as a critic to really get your claws into something, but the landslide of snide that met the Cats movie didn’t tally with the film I saw. In fact, I was baffled by the mass freakout. Again and again, critics were confounded by the idea of humans dressed up as cats. But what were they expecting? Had anyone seen the musical?!

Perhaps Cats just didn’t click with film critics because it’s a show in love with the myths and magic of theatre: the velvet drapes and faded glamour, the names in lights, the stars and the gutter; the band of misfits united in pursuit of the perfect number; the spotlight as saviour. And then there’s the most essential theatrical element of all: suspension of disbelief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

I agree with this take, the criticism of the film is completely overblown and exaggerated. I was severely bored and it is a competitor for worst-of-the-year but the CGI being "disgusting" or "horrifying" etc is just nonsense

Edited by Avatree

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Pretty much my thought too. 

I’m not saying everyone who enjoys the musical liked the film, I’m sure some hated it. 

But I’d bet that a lot of those critics hadn’t ever seen the show, never mind enjoying it. 

This is apparent when they make remarks about the plot, story style (character introductions), jellicle ball, heviside lair etc. which are all identical to the stage version. 

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Pretty much my thought too. 

I’m not saying everyone who enjoys the musical liked the film, I’m sure some hated it. 

But I’d bet that a lot of those critics hadn’t ever seen the show, never mind enjoying it. 

This is apparent when they make remarks about the plot, story style (character introductions), jellicle ball, heviside lair etc. which are all identical to the stage version. 

Is that not legitimate criticism, though...?

Just because something has a fan following and popular, doesn't mean you have to think it is good.

Michael Bay's Transformers have an audience who enjoys them, does that mean I can't say they are awful?

I acknowledge that the Cats film is the same as the musical; so I suspect that I as I think the film is crap, I think the musical is crap. 

The songs are awful, the way they introduce 1 character and move on, does not work at all, for me. I have no doubt I'd feel that way whether I watched the film or the stage musical.

30 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I acknowledge that the Cats film is the same as the musical; so I suspect that I as I think the film is crap, I think the musical is crap. 

The songs are awful, the way they introduce 1 character and move on, does not work at all, for me. I have no doubt I'd feel that way whether I watched the film or the stage musical.

They can still criticise the film of course.

I’m just saying that it’s easy to tell which critics aren’t familiar with the stage show the film is an adaptation of. 

People familiar with the show will know the songs (and enjoy them if they’re going to see it again), understand the story and be familiar with the fact that it plays in character introductions one after the other. 

I can imagine the film is more popular with people who know and like the show. I’d imagine that’s the same with most adaptations. This is an extremely faithful one too. 

If you’d seen the play and thought the story and songs were crap, I’m sure you wouldn’t bother watching the film adaptation of the same thing. 

49 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

If you’d seen the play and thought the story and songs were crap, I’m sure you wouldn’t bother watching the film adaptation of the same thing. 

You may not bother to, but that doesn't change whether it is good or bad. I don't really know what you're trying to get at kris.

I mean it's certainly true that if you already like the musical, you will probably enjoy this adaptation. 

But "that's the same with most adaptations" except that most musicals which get adapted to film are ones that general audiences would actually enjoy in the first place, unlike Cats.

30 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You may not bother to, but that doesn't change whether it is good or bad. I don't really know what you're trying to get at kris.

I mean it's certainly true that if you already like the musical, you will probably enjoy this adaptation. 

But "that's the same with most adaptations" except that most musicals which get adapted to film are ones that general audiences would actually enjoy in the first place, unlike Cats.

What I’m getting at is that it’s surprising to see critics saying “there’s no story, it’s introduction after introduction” and commenting on the songs. When none of it has changed. That is Cats. 

Your last comment says that Cats wasn’t enjoyed by general audiences in the first place, but it’s one of the longest running stage shows of all time. 

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What I’m getting at is that it’s surprising to see critics saying “there’s no story, it’s introduction after introduction” and commenting on the songs. When none of it has changed. That is Cats. 

Your last comment says that Cats wasn’t enjoyed by general audiences in the first place, but it’s one of the longest running stage shows of all time. 

I realise it has not changed. I think critics probably realise that. It's still bad. Whether critic saw it as a movie, or a stage show, or an album, or a TV show - regardless of format, these are legitimate complaints / criticisms.

And yes, its like 4th longest running stage show. Like I said, I think the general audience does not like Cats. It is more of a niche thing, because of the style/subject etc.

Equally, Les Mis is just as long running, but lends itself to a general audience.

And in contrast, Rocky Horror Show goes for 40 years or whatever, doesn't mean it is appealing to general audience.

Every year I watch The Room in the cinema. It's been in cinemas for 17 years. Doesn't mean that general audience loves it, it means there is a fandom / cult following that likes it.

Edited by Avatree

43 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I realise it has not changed. I think critics probably realise that. It's still bad. Whether critic saw it as a movie, or a stage show, or an album, or a TV show - regardless of format, these are legitimate complaints / criticisms.

And yes, its like 4th longest running stage show. Like I said, I think the general audience does not like Cats. It is more of a niche thing, because of the style/subject etc.

Equally, Les Mis is just as long running, but lends itself to a general audience.

And in contrast, Rocky Horror Show goes for 40 years or whatever, doesn't mean it is appealing to general audience.

Every year I watch The Room in the cinema. It's been in cinemas for 17 years. Doesn't mean that general audience loves it, it means there is a fandom / cult following that likes it.

I think Cats grossed $2.8 billion from the stage. It’s hard to describe it as cult or niche. Maybe the film version is, and will end up a cult film. 

You say “it’s still bad”. That’s just subjective. I originally rated it a 3/5 but haven’t been able to get it out of my head. Was going to go again on Sunday but had something else to do. Will go this weekend and I expect I’ll enjoy it even more this time. 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think Cats grossed $2.8 billion from the stage. It’s hard to describe it as cult or niche. Maybe the film version is, and will end up a cult film. 

You say “it’s still bad”. That’s just subjective. I originally rated it a 3/5 but haven’t been able to get it out of my head. Was going to go again on Sunday but had something else to do. Will go this weekend and I expect I’ll enjoy it even more this time. 

Yes ofc its subjective. I'm saying in their opinion it is still bad.

Good for you that you enjoyed it.

The popularity of its stage musical is nothing to do with what I am saying. Never mind.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

The popularity of its stage musical is nothing to do with what I am saying. Never mind.

Sorry, I got confused by these two comments 

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Like I said, I think the general audience does not like Cats. It is more of a niche thing, because of the style/subject etc.

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Was at work, maybe not reading properly. 

Hooper's biggest flaw in this movie is that he failed to understand that, while the non-plot structure may have worked on the stage, he definitely needed to write, you know... A STORY to sustain a fucking movie.

I'm a big sucker for musicals, even the bad ones, but Cats was abysmal, I couldn't believe they didn't even try to tell a story, it isn't even a movie, just a bunch of mini music videos, with almost no connection between them.

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Hooper's biggest flaw in this movie is that he failed to understand that, while the non-plot structure may have worked on the stage, he definitely needed to write, you know... A STORY to sustain a fucking movie.

I'm a big sucker for musicals, even the bad ones, but Cats was abysmal, I couldn't believe they didn't even try to tell a story, it isn't even a movie, just a bunch of mini music videos, with almost no connection between them.

Not every film is plot driven, some are more about mood or atmosphere or a slice of life. Still, this is not some Linklater drama, the premise of Cats is kind of out there and moviegoers likely needed something more to appeal to them, than the experience of cat people dancing around.

Ever since Hooper was announced, I felt he was a strange choice to direct something as weird as Cats when his sensibilities as a director (so far) had been more on the "grounded in reality" side of things.  I guess it's good Hoooer wanted to branch out, but a Cats movie seems more like Baz Luhrmann's speed, or maybe, IDK, Ryan Murphy (even if his film efforts are more grounded than you might expect).

22 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Not every film is plot driven, some are more about mood or atmosphere or a slice of life. Still, this is not some Linklater drama, the premise of Cats is kind of out there and moviegoers likely needed something more to appeal to them, than the experience of cat people dancing around.

Ever since Hooper was announced, I felt he was a strange choice to direct something as weird as Cats when his sensibilities as a director (so far) had been more on the "grounded in reality" side of things.  I guess it's good Hoooer wanted to branch out, but a Cats movie seems more like Baz Luhrmann's speed, or maybe, IDK, Ryan Murphy (even if his film efforts are more grounded than you might expect).

If anybody could have brought this off on screen; it would have been Luhrmann.

I have to keep repeating, people dressed and made up as Cats works find on stage where you don't have to worry about closeups and medium shots of the facial makeup, but was always doomed on film. Only way this might have worked was to animated for the film.

• Like 1