kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm seeing a lot of 'this was the most fun I had at the cinema in ages' takes. Feels like a Showgirls-type legacy in the making.

Can anyone who's actually seen it confirm: is this so bad it's good, or is it just plain ol' bad?

Probably like The Joker, plain ol' bad.

Edited by The Futurist

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm seeing a lot of 'this was the most fun I had at the cinema in ages' takes. Feels like a Showgirls-type legacy in the making.

Can anyone who's actually seen it confirm: is this so bad it's good, or is it just plain ol' bad?

I think it’s quirky and something’s a bit off, but I enjoyed it and can’t wait to buy it to watch it again. 

6 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Definitely so bad it’s good. It’s as if Hooper listened to every single criticism about his lack of imagination and risk-taking and tried to rectify it while still bafflingly maintaining the self-serious tone of his previous work. I wasn’t the only one in the auditorium snickering through most of the run time.

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Definitely so bad it’s good. It’s as if Hooper listened to every single criticism about his lack of imagination and risk-taking and tried to rectify it while still bafflingly maintaining the self-serious tone of his previous work. I wasn’t the only one in the auditorium snickering through most of the run time.

Some friends of mine who were fans of the stage show were not impressed at all with the movie version.

Bottom line: Having people dressed up as cats works fine on stage, where you don't have to worry about close up and medium shots of the cat's faces, and you can go abstract and suggestive, instead of ultra real, on the face make up, but simply does not work on film.

Edited by dudalb

Taylor Swift’s movie CATs was a box office bomb and critically panned. But Taylor Swift’s cats were in the critically and financially successful movie Deadpool 2. 

The irony of her cats having a more successful movie career than her after she starred in a movie titled Cats :ph34r:

Edited by Nova
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Taylor Swift’s movie CATs was a box office bomb and critically panned. But Taylor Swift’s cats were in the critically and financially successful movie Deadpool 2. 

The irony of her cats having a more successful movie career than her after she starred in a movie titled Cats :ph34r:

just another example of audiences rewarding real representation, not human-washing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nova said:

I think some of the Taylor Swift fanboyism displayed in this thead was ridiculous;but I think to blame her for the Cats bombing is unfair. It would have been just as big a bomb if Swift was not in it.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Variety and THR updated their articles and guesses to say $50m-75m. 

Which still means Cats will lose the studio money.

Not a great deal, but still a failure.

So much for the theory expressed here that all you need to do is release a big musical during the Holiday season to have a hit. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think some of the Taylor Swift fanboyism displayed in this thead was ridiculous;but I think to blame her for the Cats bombing is unfair. It would have been just as big a bomb if Swift was not in it.

Oh my post was a joke! Lol 

This movie was a bomb in the making from the second it was announced. It’s not like Taylor (who isn’t even a movie star) was the only star in it. There were several stars in it but that wasn’t going to save this movie. 

So my mom went to go see this with a guy she's been seeing. I warned her ahead of time that, while I didn't want to spoil it for them, that the film was a universal flop with the critics. the audience. at the box office; everywhere. She said thanks but we're going to go ahead and see it.

Tells me today that she fell asleep on the guy. Said it was awful. My mom's the sweetest. most diplomatic person I know so I really feel bad for this movie that it got that treatment from her of all people.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think, but can’t be sure, that Cats is having a better reception here in the UK than anywhere else. 

The family members of mine who have seen it, liked it even more than I did. I go back to work on Monday so will see what folks are saying. 

TBF it's a British creation so it was always going to do a bit better here and also the tastes of the British public are very eclectic to say the least.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

TBF it's a British creation so it was always going to do a bit better here and also the tastes of the British public are very eclectic to say the least.  

Last time I looked, "Cats" was just as big a hit on stage in the US as it was in the UK.

And it's STILL a big fail in the UK, just slightly not as big as in the US.

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Booked to see it again on Sunday. Interestingly it’s been moved into the biggest room, on its 3rd weekend lol. 

First film of the new decade 🤪

Hate to tell you this;but it will be remembered only as a joke.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And it's STILL a big fail in the UK, just slightly not as big as in the US.

It’s actually not been a big fail here in the UK. It’s looking at ~£11-12m, which would expected of a $110m grossing film domestically. Industry use a 10% gauge. 

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Hate to tell you this;but it will be remembered only as a joke.

You can’t know that. People said that about Rocky Horror. You never know what’ll happen.