kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

I'm a huge fan of musicals and I went to watch this today.

Even though there's some good things about this movie, I can't exactly recommend this to anyone because it's terrible.

It doesn't actually have a plot, it's just one song after the other, and most songs don't work and all of the musical numbers are uninspiring (I can't believe that it was directed by the same guy who did Les Mis).

It gets boring after the 4th song and it's such a drag, even for musical lovers.

I think the main problem is they forgot that a movie must have a script to keep audiences interested. It looks like they just made a copy of the play, but lacking the good dancing and energy.

And yes, Jennifer Hudson singing Memory is incredible and Francesca Hayward was not that bad, but it doesn't take away the fact that, in general, it's a horrible movie.

• Thanks 1

Feel bad for everyone involved with this. I know we're having a good laugh out of this - and that is okay - but it's never a good thing when a movie bombs like this. Hopefully everyone is able to move on from this relatively unscathed.

Don't know how many more movies Taylor Swift will get a chance in though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

Feel bad for everyone involved with this. I know we're having a good laugh out of this - and that is okay - but it's never a good thing when a movie bombs like this. Hopefully everyone is able to move on from this relatively unscathed.

Don't know how many more movies Taylor Swift will get a chance in though.

We don't have to worry about Taylor Swift. It's just a side project for her and she actually did well. She also got to work with Andrew Lloyd Webber. 

I think Tom Hooper needs to choose his next project wisely. Another bomb like this and his career will be in big trouble.

• Like 6

it's just poor choices on her part really. she's only been in shitty movies but she's not actually the problem in any of these movies. on paper i get choosing to do this. oscar winning director whose last musical was a big hit adapting an insanely popular broadway show. but yeah next time any actor is asked to play a CG character maybe insist to see a demo of what it will look like first.

tom hooper i think will go back to TV next. i know he did a couple episodes of that his dark materials this year too. still, he'll do another attempt at a John Adams to get everyone on his side again.

• Like 1

I read so many people praise the Swift's performance on this, as the bright moment of the movie, and she only sang one song? Like imagine if she was bad at performing a song.

I don't think any actor was actually bad (minus Idris Elba because.... my eyes!) and i could understand the vision but yes the movie was a mess. Its wasn't even fun mess, just mess.

Edited by Hermia
  • Like 1

I just saw it. I LOVE musical, but this, was something else. It was so creepy and had this cult-like weirdness, I don't know. I was just so weirded out. It's also boring as heck. I enjoyed maybe 1 or 2 songs, but that's it. Jennifer Hudson was great singing Memory, I love the song, and I was supposed to be amazed. But I just could not look past that awful CGI'd face. And they had boobs? And butts? Like, why?

And I wasn't the only one. 30 minutes in, people started whining, and then chatting. Usually I would shush them, but this time I understood lol. Then they started walking out. I had never seen so many people walking out of a movie like that. Just when people here in Indonesia are starting to appreciate musicals, thanks to La La Land, The Greatest Showman, especially Aladdin and Frozen 2 this year.

Edited by catlover

The flu prevented me from keeping a promise and going to see this with my mom yesterday. Looks like I dodged a bullet, though I already knew that. I told her it was ultimately her who dodged a bullet, given she was going in expecting to have a great time. Bless people's hearts for thinking this would translate just fine to screen.