WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 67): Captain Pirate: Piracy War 72.6M | Jungle Book 17.1M | Money Monster 14.8M | The Darkness 5M | Mother's Day 3.3M

Civil War is like the ultimate Marvel sequel in a way. Mostly Cap 3, with some Iron Man 4 and Avengers 2.5 thrown into the mix.

Its drop is pretty expected and it's still on pace to land between IM3 and AoU.

The other thing about this film that is being ignored is that its a 250 million dollar trailer for the next Spiderman. I can assure u this film just got a whole lot of people excited for the next Spiderman film....myself included. So regardless what this film makes it has done exactly what Disney hoped it would.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

The other thing about this film that is being ignored is that its a 250 million dollar trailer for the next Spiderman. I can assure u this film just got a whole lot of people excited for the next Spiderman film....myself included. So regardless what this film makes it has done exactly what Disney hoped it would.

Spider-Man was great in the movie. Plus this film is also giving bigger exposure to Ant-Man and Black Panther. The next solo movies featuring those two should both benefit.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

So now 1b is disappointing? We are (d)evolving fast.

The fanboy press anointing everything either "Best movie ever" or "Worst movie ever" and the pass/fail tomato meter really don't help things anymore. The Internet has killed nuance. Crazy raves from fan blogs causes people to up their predicts to crazy levels, not just fans mind you even people within the industry

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Spider-Man was great in the movie. Plus this film is also giving bigger exposure to Ant-Man and Black Panther. The next solo movies featuring those two should both benefit.

Ant-Man sequel will increase BECAUSE of this film, mark my words.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The fanboy press anointing everything either "Best movie ever" or "Worst movie ever" and the pass/fail tomato meter really don't help things anymore. The Internet has killed nuance. Crazy raves from fan blogs causes people to up their predicts to crazy levels, not just fans mind you even people within the industry

Very well said. Completely agree.

My projections for next week based on the weekend estimates.

Captain America: Civil War

Monday: $5.62M (-73.3%)

Tuesday: $5.94M (+5.69%)

Wednesday: $4.69M (-21%)

Thursday: $4.1M (-12.5%)

SECOND WEEK TOTAL: $92.9M (-58.4%)

Friday: $8.8M (+115%)

Saturday: $20.1M (+129%)

Sunday: $9.95M (-50.6%)

THIRD WEEKEND TOTAL: $38.9M (-46.4%)

PROJECTED TEN-WEEK DOMESTIC TOTAL: $463M (2.58x)

Money Monster

Monday: $1.45M (-63%)

Tuesday: $1.46M (+0.922%)

Wednesday: $1.23M (-15.9%)

Thursday: $1.16M (-5.82%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $20.3M

Friday: $2.3M (+98.1%)

Saturday: $2.99M (+30.4%)

Sunday: $2.13M (-28.8%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $7.42M (-50.5%)

PROJECTED FOUR-WEEK DOMESTIC TOTAL: $38.2M (2.54x)

The Darkness

Monday: $332k (-72.4%)

Tuesday: $292k (-11.8%)

Wednesday: $265k (-9.35%)

Thursday: $280k (+5.57%)

OPENING WEEK TOTAL: $6.35M

Friday: $956k (+242%)

Saturday: $1.23M (+29.1%)

Sunday: $742k (-39.9%)

SECOND WEEKEND TOTAL: $2.93M (-43.4%)

PROJECTED SIX-WEEK DOMESTIC TOTAL: $12.6M (2.44x)

• Like 1

Weekend Thoughts:

Civil War's drop is slightly higher than expected but I think it'll see a lighter drop next weekend given that the competition is Angry Birds and two R-rated comedies.

Solid opening for Money Monster. Starpower ain't dead.

The Jungle Book is a beast. Yay!

On a snarky note, it's funny to see Batman v Superman and My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 so close in weekend grosses when the latter debuted to 1/10 of the former on the same weekend.

Terrific starts for The Lobster and Love & Friendship. I think the latter will expand well given its 100% RT score and stick around for a while.

1 hour ago, nilephelan said:

Weren't you the same guy only a few days ago saying that The Jungle Book wouldn't reach $300m and multiple people had to point out to you that it was a mathematical certainty and you said "we shall see"?  Then we laid out the week by week numbers and you still didn't believe it?  

Yeah, that was you, so forgive if I am laughing that you are now doing the same weird song and dance with Civil War.  

Let me help you though again even though I shouldn't.....

- Deadpool is at $362m

- Civil War is at $295m after today.  It will make about $15m this week and $35m next weekend giving it $345m.  It will do $7m and $18m the following week and weekend giving it $370m.  

Is that a good enough answer for you?  

On December 27, after it was estimated to make $149m second weekend and was sitting at $540m, he still didn't think TFA was going to pass Avatar.  

54 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'll decline, because I do think it will pass Deadpool DOM. I'm not 100% sure, maybe 70% sure, but that's enough to make that a bad bet.

We have showed you multiple times how this is a 100% certainty.  How can you still not believe it?  Can you give us a break-down of how this could miss it?

The Zootopia and Jungle Book drops are equally impressive. Zootopia for dropping 12% in its eleventh week and Jungle Book for dropping 28% after Mother's Day inflated its drop last week. Holy shit, Disney.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

I'll decline, because I do think it will pass Deadpool DOM. I'm not 100% sure, maybe 70% sure, but that's enough to make that a bad bet.

Same bet for 400 mill then

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, a2knet said:

So now 1b is disappointing? We are (d)evolving fast.

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I just don't get it, since when has 1.1+B WW ever become a disappointment? The only people it's disappointing are the fanboys who all believe that their movies DESERVE to break records.

Its like you guys almost simply refuse to get it so you can jab at others, make jokes or start arguments (you both are usually good guys so don't take this personally, but still). Its subjective! I just said this and I'll repeat - 

4 hours ago, Infernus said:

The 'hugeness' of grosses is subjective, just like everything else in the world. Nothing is absolute and thus the scenario/situation/context/setting of everything needs to be considered before applying generalization onto it. Read this here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anekantavada.

1B totally can be disappointing. Is it in this case? Not at all. I think 1B+ for this particular film is indeed a success. But your posts weren't referring to this but simply the numbers themselves. 1B or any number does not signify a success in and of itself. One has to consider everything. 1B for Zootopia is HUGE, 1B for Civil War is expected, 800m+ for BvS is so disappointing, 1B for Avatar 2 will be bullshit, 1B for SW 8 will suck, 1B for AOU would have been utterly disappointing, 1B for Revenant would have been out of this world. The number, any number, does not signify anything by itself, other things have to be considered. There were so many discussions about this last year with Ultron too. I know this is mostly just a waste of time since people almost always simply refuse to change their minds, beliefs or opinions over any non-factual matter but I had to say this.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 4