The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 36

The Lion King (1994)

51 Points (20 Votes, Avg Score 39.25)

lion_king_ver1.jpg

"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it."

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (5, -31), 2013 (21, -15), 2012 (12, -24)

Tomatometer: 91%

Box Office: 312.86m (640.28m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: A young lion Prince is cast out of his pride by his cruel uncle, who claims he killed his father. While the uncle rules with an iron paw, the prince grows up beyond the Savannah, living by a philosophy: No worries for the rest of your days. But when his past comes to haunt him, the young Prince must decide his fate: will he remain an outcast, or face his demons and become what he needs to be?

Critic Opinion: "The dark and daring tone of The Lion King lightens with the now-grown Simba enjoying some escapades in exile with Pumba, a flatulent warthog, and a meerkat named Timon. His fun-filled exile provides just the right bridge in the film for his return to reclaim his realm and restore the land after Scar's disastrous reign.  There are, to be sure, more morals couched in The Lion King than you will find in a batch of Aesop's fables. And, after The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, it's also galling to watch the female characters regress to bystanders. Girls will have to be satisfied this time with Simba's future queen goading him into being worthy of his heritage.  But The Lion King, complete with jaunty songs by Elton John and Tim Rice, is undeniably and fully worthy of its glorious Disney heritage. It is a gorgeous triumph - one lion in which the studio can take justified pride." - Desmond Ryan

User Opinion: "My mom had a cat named Simba after seeing this film :PAnyway love this film and the music and voices are great. Seems like after this film the next few animated films were not that good, but I think it was because they had so much pressure after this." - Impact

Personal Comment: Animation strike hot twice in a row, this time with a Disney classic, The Lion King.  The Lion King is the third Disney movie to make the list, and the 9th animation so far.  It is also the 15th movie from the 90s to make the list, increasing the 90s lead on our decade contest.  While many of Disney's movies are based off of fables, the Lion King is bold in that it's based off Hamlet, and it does a good job conveying some of its ideas in a family friendly and accessible manner.  The movie is bold, heart-felt, and epic to the core, while also managing to put in a few fun musical numbers while its at it.  One of my favorite animations from nostalgia alone, The Lion King has made itself a true classic.

• Like 13

Number 35

Jurassic Park (1993)

52 Points (19 Votes, Avg Score 38.4444)

enhanced-14020-1407861668-13.jpg

"God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs."

Top 5 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (9, -26), 2013 (27, -8), 2012 (38, +3)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 357.1m (739.65m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Huge advancements in scientific technology have enabled a mogul to create an island full of living dinosaurs. John Hammond has invited four individuals, along with his two grandchildren, to join him at Jurassic Park. But will everything go according to plan? A park employee attempts to steal dinosaur embryos, critical security systems are shut down and it now becomes a race for survival with dinosaurs roaming freely over the island.

Critic Opinion: "“Jurassic Park” remains an essential piece of my childhood, serving as a reminder that film criticism doesn’t always have to be cynical or sardonic. Good or bad, movies are fun. A celebration of life itself. Most fans of film – whether they be filmmakers, film writers, or just fans – have that one special, life-affirming film that reminds them why they feel so strongly about the medium. “Jurassic Park” is that film for me, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. When you hear someone use the term “movie magic,” this is what they’re talking about." - J. Olson

User Opinion: "Fantastic film.Saw it a few days after it was released back in 1993, the first time I saw the dinosaurs, I had tears of joy, it was one of those moments that I've yet to see repeated with any other film since then.However, the movie is not about dinosaurs or even human beings, it even ask the question how can human beings live in the technological nightmare worlds they have constructed for themselves? We see many moments of this where Neill's character is annoyed with how he can't get along with technology, or when the leading characters argue about the import of Jurassic Park, or even another character amazed over a can of shaving foam which is really a secret storage container for smuggling embryosPlenty of times in the movie the heroes themselves are dealing with technological hazards then dinosaurs. The car falling out of the tree, the perimeter fence turned on, how the characters at the main base are unable to get anything working. Educated, intelligent people are helpless before failed or refusing to work technology (Phones aren't working!), which is as helpless as when faced with a T. Rex or a Raptor. This is where the brilliance of the film lies. The real meaning is dinosaurs are technology too, as highlighted when a velociraptor in a brilliant shot, is bathed in the light of a computer monitor, and suddenly appears as a collection of computer data constructions. They aren't real animals.The acting is excellent by all the characters, Laura Dern and the young actress who plays the granddaughter both deliver especially noteworthy performances. The movie is very fast paced and never lets up. Some great camera shots like the T.Rex car chase (You think they'll have that on the tour?), the birds viewed from the window of the chopper at the end of the movie, a reminder of how dinosaurs are still with us; Dern attempting to stare down a velociraptor, every muscle in her body straining, and of course when the T.Rex itself emerges from the enclosure in the middle of a rainstorm. Despite the predictable ending and chase scenes, the dinosaurs themselves have a splendor that is impossible to resist.Highly recommended" - BoxOfficeZ

Personal Comment: Did you think my "Jurassic" comment was alluding to a different Jurassic film than this one?  Think again, no Jurassic World was not close to making the list (and @Telemachos can breathe a sigh of relief).  Spielberg hits the list again with his big blockbuster on one of the biggest years of his career, Jurassic Park.  Jurassic Park is the 16th movie from the 90s decade, giving the decade even more leg room over the 2010s decade which is currently in second.  Spielberg himself though proves himself as one of the most beloved directors of all-time as he hits the list for a third time, and will hit quite a few more times.  In the end, Spielberg will be ahead of Hitchcock in being the director with the most movies on our countdown.  Jurassic Park itself is a visual wonder, and it manages to be a perfect popcorn, summer blockbuster, delivering with thrills and all.

• Like 15

^_^ JP is amazing - i am just thankful that JW somehow didn't slide onto this list *relief*

I have after 2 decades become accustomed to the inferior (not by much) Lion King being the king of the Disney Renaissance - it will always amaze me though that the film that was considered second tier is actually one of the all time greatest and the one assumed to be the best is one of the worst (Pocahontas) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

RotS is the worst Star Wars movie. Just saying

ROTS is the best SW movie. It actually has some interesting character development for a change. Plus some awesome battles compared to the lame show in TFA

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 39

Fight Club (1999)

51 Points (16 Votes, Avg Score 38.625)

fight_club-poster.jpg

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

Top 10 Placements: 4 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (26, -13), 2013 (18, -21), 2012 (18, -21)

Tomatometer: 79%

Box Office: 37.03m (62.47m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 1 Oscar

IMDb Synopsis: A ticking-time-bomb insomniac and a slippery soap salesman channel primal male aggression into a shocking new form of therapy. Their concept catches on, with underground "fight clubs" forming in every town, until an eccentric gets in the way and ignites an out-of-control spiral toward oblivion.

Critic Opinion: "Indeed, in today’s gloomy, Palin obsessed media-cracy, a planet where information overload takes the place of rationality or true thought, Fight Club is more of a distant voice that a shouting street preacher. It still resonates in ways Palahnuik and Fincher can only imagine and truly helped redefine a demo in peril. But now, even in a fully fleshed out home video primer, it remains a lesson to be studied and learned, a series of lunatic lectures you either buy into, or berate as being out of touch and troubling. At its core, it can seem like sinew and sweat, testosterone and ‘roid rage rebellion. But inside of each one of these little boys lost is someone who has seen the systematic re-sensitizing of the father figure turn the powerful into the pathetic. As Tyler Durden says during one of the movie’s most memorable scenes, “If our father is our basis for God, and our fathers abandoned us, then what does that tell you about God?” In Fincher’s effective masterpiece, the answer is on every single frame. It’s up to you to find it." - Bill Gibron

User Opinion: "One of the best movies ever made and definitely Top 5 all time for me. Thrilling, engaging, mesmerising and fearless. That's pretty much what Fight Club is. And you can't help but notice how some of the ideas the film revolves around are just as fitting for today's society as they were back then. Maybe even more so.

It also displays one of the, if not the most memorable character ever created by Hollywood. Pitt's Tyler Durden is complex and charming and irresistible in that way that you cheer for him as hard as you can even if he's supposedly the bad guy at some point.

And then the movie ends and it leaves you wonder: What if...?" - James 

Personal Comment: I'll say, any pre-2000 movie (even if only by a single year) that manages to make James like it (as well as Lisa at that), and you know have something somewhat special, and Fight Club pulls off that something special.  Fight Club is the 13th movie from the 90s, tying the decade with the 2010s for the most movies of any decade on our countdown.  David Fincher's final appearance on our list is something of a fan favorite.  Fight Club never hit it big with the critics, nor did it score well with rewards, or did it make much more than a few bucks at the box office, but it has still somehow landed itself a place among talk about cinematic masterpieces and movies that stand the test of time.  The film manages to be poignant about the future, and it manages to be endlessly quotable, but have quotes that make you sit back for a moment and think.  Fight Club is the pure definition of a cult classic.

Fuck yeah! Gosh, I love this movie!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Number 35

Jurassic Park (1993)

52 Points (19 Votes, Avg Score 38.4444)

enhanced-14020-1407861668-13.jpg

"God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs."

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (9, -26), 2013 (27, -8), 2012 (38, +3)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 357.1m (739.65m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: Huge advancements in scientific technology have enabled a mogul to create an island full of living dinosaurs. John Hammond has invited four individuals, along with his two grandchildren, to join him at Jurassic Park. But will everything go according to plan? A park employee attempts to steal dinosaur embryos, critical security systems are shut down and it now becomes a race for survival with dinosaurs roaming freely over the island.

Critic Opinion: "“Jurassic Park” remains an essential piece of my childhood, serving as a reminder that film criticism doesn’t always have to be cynical or sardonic. Good or bad, movies are fun. A celebration of life itself. Most fans of film – whether they be filmmakers, film writers, or just fans – have that one special, life-affirming film that reminds them why they feel so strongly about the medium. “Jurassic Park” is that film for me, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. When you hear someone use the term “movie magic,” this is what they’re talking about." - J. Olson

User Opinion: "Fantastic film.Saw it a few days after it was released back in 1993, the first time I saw the dinosaurs, I had tears of joy, it was one of those moments that I've yet to see repeated with any other film since then.However, the movie is not about dinosaurs or even human beings, it even ask the question how can human beings live in the technological nightmare worlds they have constructed for themselves? We see many moments of this where Neill's character is annoyed with how he can't get along with technology, or when the leading characters argue about the import of Jurassic Park, or even another character amazed over a can of shaving foam which is really a secret storage container for smuggling embryosPlenty of times in the movie the heroes themselves are dealing with technological hazards then dinosaurs. The car falling out of the tree, the perimeter fence turned on, how the characters at the main base are unable to get anything working. Educated, intelligent people are helpless before failed or refusing to work technology (Phones aren't working!), which is as helpless as when faced with a T. Rex or a Raptor. This is where the brilliance of the film lies. The real meaning is dinosaurs are technology too, as highlighted when a velociraptor in a brilliant shot, is bathed in the light of a computer monitor, and suddenly appears as a collection of computer data constructions. They aren't real animals.The acting is excellent by all the characters, Laura Dern and the young actress who plays the granddaughter both deliver especially noteworthy performances. The movie is very fast paced and never lets up. Some great camera shots like the T.Rex car chase (You think they'll have that on the tour?), the birds viewed from the window of the chopper at the end of the movie, a reminder of how dinosaurs are still with us; Dern attempting to stare down a velociraptor, every muscle in her body straining, and of course when the T.Rex itself emerges from the enclosure in the middle of a rainstorm. Despite the predictable ending and chase scenes, the dinosaurs themselves have a splendor that is impossible to resist.Highly recommended" - BoxOfficeZ

Personal Comment: Did you think my "Jurassic" comment was alluding to a different Jurassic film than this one?  Think again, no Jurassic World was not close to making the list (and @Telemachos can breathe a sigh of relief).  Spielberg hits the list again with his big blockbuster on one of the biggest years of his career, Jurassic Park.  Jurassic Park is the 16th movie from the 90s decade, giving the decade even more leg room over the 2010s decade which is currently in second.  Spielberg himself though proves himself as one of the most beloved directors of all-time as he hits the list for a third time, and will hit quite a few more times.  In the end, Spielberg will be ahead of Hitchcock in being the director with the most movies on our countdown.  Jurassic Park itself is a visual wonder, and it manages to be a perfect popcorn, summer blockbuster, delivering with thrills and all.

Jurassic World is better and I don't even like Pratt as an actor.

Ok, so my #3 movie never made it on the list, but that is because it is so damn unknown. 

Scenic_Route_film.jpg

The idea of the movie is so damn simple, but the execution is just brilliant. I mean, the whole movie is carried by it's dialogue which in and by itself is amazing. The guy who wrote this deserves a prize for his work. So some of you guys should check it out.;)

13 minutes ago, James said:

Ok, so my #3 movie never made it on the list, but that is because it is so damn unknown. 

Scenic_Route_film.jpg

The idea of the movie is so damn simple, but the execution is just brilliant. I mean, the whole movie is carried by it's dialogue which in and by itself is amazing. The guy who wrote this deserves a prize for his work. So some of you guys should check it out.;)

Sorry I do not like old movies. 

• Like 5

Beauty & The Beast is my absolute favorite Disney film. Just wonderful!

Toy Story was the first film I ever saw in the theaters, and as such it really shaped my cinema experience and love. It's an absolute classic, and it made me a Pixar fan, which I still am to this day.

Toy Story 2 is still probably one of my absolute favorite cinema experiences ever. As a kid I was waiting in anticipation, and when that epic logo appeared, I just lost it, and was so excited.  The film is a true masterpiece of animation, and to this day still remains one of my favorite animated films, and favorite films in general.

Inside Out is also excellent, of course.

The rest of the film the list are either fantastic or very good, with Eternal Sunshine being one of my absolute favorite movies.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The Panda said:

I can't remember and don't have my laptop with me to check, so did you send in a list?  

No I didn't, because I didn't even notice this until yesterday :P Well, by "notice", I mean paying legit attention, cause I'm an asshole like that :ph34r:

Anybody that says Jurassic World is better than Jurassic Park needs to grow up, btw. Opinions are opinions, but COME THE FUCK ON.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

Whoa, the quality of the films is really getting best-level high now. Inside Out, Fight Club, Toy Story, Eternal Sunshine, The Lion King. Each one a masterpiece. Really excited to see what the top 10 holds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JohnnY said:

So far, 20 movies I still haven't seen

100    The Big Lebowski    1998
95    Ghostbusters    1984
91    Raging Bull    1980
83    Saving Private Ryan    1998
79    Aliens    1986
77    Heat    1995
76    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade    1989
69    Rocky    1975
59    Die Hard    1988
49    The Truman Show    1998
48    Se7en    1995

Make yourself a favor and watch them NOW.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 38

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

51 Points (18 Votes, Avg Score 39.38)

#38 and it didn't even need my help. If I had voted this would have been my #1. This film just gets more and more appreciated over time. :wub:

• Like 2