The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

9 hours ago, The Panda said:

Hopefully I put this in the right thread this time

Number 47

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

45 Points (20 Votes, Avg Score 47.45)

Beautybeastposter.jpg

"For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

Top 5 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (44, -3), 2013 (68, +21), 2012 (77, +30)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 145.86m (300.01m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars and first Animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: Belle is a girl who is dissatisfied with life in a small provincial French town, constantly trying to fend off the misplaced "affections" of conceited Gaston. The Beast is a prince who was placed under a spell because he could not love. A wrong turn taken by Maurice, Belle's father, causes the two to meet.

Critic Opinion: "It’s difficult to over-appreciate this classic film, which features a wonderful message about seeing the true beauty in people. The love story is wonderfully-told and the main characters are fully realized. Aside from that, the film’s vibrant colors are wonderful to behold, and the 3-D only adds to that. The new effects are more subtle than the typical 3-D effects where objects come flying off the screen.

The music remains one of the film’s main selling points. The soundtrack is phenomenal. From the exciting lyrics of “Be Our Guest” to the calm melodies of the title track, this film captures many of the reasons why Disney films are often a magical experience. Listening to the title song in the middle of the film actually gave me goosebumps.

“Beauty and the Beast” remains a Disney classic for many reasons. It may be a simple story that children can understand, but its themes and its presentation are magical. It’s no wonder that this film remains a modern-day classic." - John Hanlon

User Opinion: "One of the best Disney Animation Classics. Everything's really just perfect, and the best aspect of the movie for me is characterizations. Every characters, especially the leads and the villain, are so well crafted with layers and back stories. 

Gaston is such a great villain, whereas other villains of Disney are purely evil, cruel, ruthless,etc... Gaston is absolutely despicable in many ways. I don't know why, but I always find that type of antagonist very interesting. 

Belle is one of my favorite Disney female protagonists, good and aspiring character." - Sam

Personal Comment: Beauty and the Beast comes in as the second movie from Walt Disney, the 5th animation so far, and the 10th movie from the 90s tying the decade with the 80s and 2000s for second place in the decade contest.  There's few movies out there that are able to play out as true of a classic as Beauty and the Beast can.  The animation in the movie is gorgeous to watch, the songs stick to the memory, and the film is cut to being flawless in its form and how it flows.  The movie is an example of a film being absolutely everything it could have been and playing it perfectly.

My favorite animated film ever. :D

• Like 2

TFA is so close to being the best Star Wars film.  For me it's right up there with Empire.  And when I give it a few years to settle in, it might make my top 10 films of all time.  It's that good, imo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blank Panther said:

I'm definitely aware of that, which is why Coogler's adaptation would be fascinating to me

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to see cinematic depictions of songs like "Satisfied," "Yorktown," "Non-Stop,"  "The Room Where it Happens," and "The World Was Wide Enough," among others. But they're songs that are very hard to do cinematically compared to the way you can easily shift between characters, locations, and times on stage.

• Like 2

it's weird because lmm keeps saying he made it with a movie adaptation very much in mind. i don't even get that from the soundtrack since it's very "explaining everything the characters are doing in the moment" much moreso than any other musical i've seen, and that wouldn't really be necessary for a film.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's weird because lmm keeps saying he made it with a movie adaptation very much in mind. i don't even get that from the soundtrack since it's very "explaining everything the characters are doing in the moment" much moreso than any other musical i've seen, and that wouldn't really be necessary for a film.

Yeah. I just saw it last night (after having listened to the soundtrack) and there's really way more narration than your typical musical. Really hard to incorporate that filmwise unless it's done kinda meta, like the film being sort of a docudrama with the main narrator (Burr) sort of existing outside time and space and narrating/interacting with the characters/events simultaneously while also talking to the audience.

10 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Alien, Fargo (the Coens' best, and that's saying something): :bravo:

The Force Awakens: :huh:

Ditto.

TFA is a pretty good movie for one built on nostalgia and rehashing.  Not near my top 1000 but it's far better than the prequels (though that's not saying much) but it made me appreciate the visuals and inventiveness from the prequels more if not the abysmal storytelling, dialog and acting. It's #4 on my SW list but only the first 2 should be anywhere near this list.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnnY said:

rear window so fucking loowwwww

plus i didn't expect kurosawa to appear so high in this list, which is high for kurosawa but still low for Rear Window

This is my first year here, and I put Seven Samurai in the top 10. I guess you should thank me or something.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Can any of you EVIL AND PESKY friendly people tell me the list so far? Too lazy to ditch up all of the entries.

What? At least I'm honest... :ph34r:

position film year
100 The Big Lebowski 1998
99 No Country For Old Men 2007
98 Magnolia 1999
97 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 2011
96 Captain America: Winters Soldier 2014
95 Ghostbusters 1984
94 Do The Right Thing 1989
93 Her 2013
92 Captain America: Civil War 2016
91 Raging Bull 1980