The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The bland, normal-lookin' ones are the kinkiest. 

Well if he likes em I suppose this means I still have a shot of giving Nolan a golden shower? :kitschjob:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, James said:

Loooooooooooooooool. 

Intertellar had deep characters, a deep story, great acting (and directing) and amazing FX. They are not even close.

Even if all of that were true....and itso not...it also had an incredibly dumb script so that negates everything positive u just said.

• Like 2

Number 3

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

131 Points (34 Votes, Avg Score 33.18)

latest?cb=20150203041055

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Number 1 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 6 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (7, +4), 2013 (5, +2), 2012 (2, -1)

Tomatometer: 91%

Box Office: 313.36m (467.35m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

Critic Opinion: "Unlike so many big budget productions, the first movie instalment of JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth trilogy doesn't condescend to a teenage audience, but creates a sophisticated universe which abides by its own laws: a primordial world older than history and legend, back in the realm of myth. Here young hobbit Frodo Baggins (Wood) comes into possession of the ring of power - a talisman of evil so potent it corrupts everyone who touches it. Under the guidance of the wizard Gandalf (McKellen), Frodo escapes the clutches of the fearsome ring wraiths along with his faithful friend Sam (Astin), and heads for the kingdom of the elves, where they hope to thwart the encroaching forces of doom. Mostly, the film makes light work of Tolkien's richly Celtic imagination. You don't so much admire its virtuoso camerawork as lose yourself in the grandeur of the Gothic design, the bucolic Shire and mountain ranges riddled with mines and fire pits. Granted, there's a sermonising element which invites parody, but it never wants for menace (parents should probably steer young children clear). In unveiling the Holy Grail for action-fantasy aficionados, director and co-writer Peter Jackson has begun a series to rival Star Wars in the pantheon." - Tom Charity

User Opinion: "I'm so struck with how perfect this movie is. The acting, the storytelling, the world that after all this time is just as stunningly beautiful. Also, the greatest soundtrack ever made for a movie. Howard Shore is pure genius. 
The Lothlorien scenes were my favourite part of the movie. I love Tolkien's Elves. And the ending scenes... so many memories." - James

Personal Comment: The Lord of the Rings makes a final appearance on our countdown with the first movie from the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring.  The Fellowship of the Ring is the 18th movie from the 2000s decade to make our list, and the final movie from the 21st century to do so.  There is much to love about this movie, just like all three of the trilogy, simply being that they work as one cohesive film that it really feels silly ranking them all at different places on the list.  The movie marks the beginning of the epic journey, and in a sense is the lightest in tone of the trilogy.  There is much excitement about the start, and it's something that helps give this movie a mark of distinction from the other two.  The film also has one of the best moments of the entire trilogy in the Mines of Moria which warrants its placement at the top of the list, it was a gutsy move by the original author (Tolkien) who unfortunately kind of retconned it later on (however it doesn't remove the impact it has when it happens.  However if there was one thing I could change about the series as a whole it'd be to have more permanence to Tolkien's initial decision).  The Lord of the Rings is a special trilogy that no fantasy series has been able to match, at least on the big screen.

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I wonder what James would think of something like Kramer vs Kramer or Bullitt. :lol:

You ever watch that Game of Thrones episode?

'Too old'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Number 4

The Godfather (1972)

116 Points (23 Votes, Avg Score 20.43)

TheGodfather-MoviePoster.jpg

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."

Number 1 Placements: 2 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 7 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 10 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (6, +2), 2013 (16, +12), 2012 (4, --)

Tomatometer: 99%

Box Office: 133.67m (674.79m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars, Including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: When the aging head of a famous crime family decides to transfer his position to one of his subalterns, a series of unfortunate events start happening to the family, and a war begins between all the well-known families leading to insolence, deportation, murder and revenge, and ends with the favorable successor being finally chosen

Critic Opinion: "After the first hurrahs for The Godfather, critical reaction to the movie has snagged on a few key questions. Does it revel in Hollywood gangster melodrama? Does it sentimentalize the Mafia? Does it present the Mob as a metaphor for all business or politics? One of TIME's cinema critics gives his assessment:

"I believe in America."

Those opening words, heard over a black screen, are a testament and a plea—not so much a pledge of allegiance to an adopted country as an obeisance to a shadow government of profound power." - Jay Cocks

User Opinion: "My favorite of all time. Got the restoration blu-ray set for Christmas.I can discuss this movie all day long. The acting is just so superb. One of my favorite of all time scenes that doesn't discussed much is the scene where Vito gets shot and poor Fredo is so inept he can't even get the gun right to shoot back. The acting from John Cazale and the pain and guilt he feels because he couldn't do anything to help his father really gets to me. It's a small thing and would get un noticed but that's just how great the story and acting is from all the players." - ecstasy

Personal Comment: Coming ahead of its sequel, The Godfather makes its appearance at number 4 on our list, the first time it has been in the top 5 since 2012.  The Godfather is also the 10th movie from the 1970s to make out countdown, moving the decade up in the rankings.  This is also the only franchise in history to score not just one, but two best picture wins, making it one for the record books (along with its massive box office take).  The Godfather is the most brilliant mob movie of our time, and there have been many of them, so its place so high on the countdown is quite revealing at that matter.  There are so many iconic moments buried throughout the films, as well as a score that dwells within your mind for the rest of your life.  Everything within this movie is a class act, from the performances, to the writing, and to the directing.  The Godfather is one of the most powerful movies ever made.

• Like 2

Just now, Baumer said:

Thrilled that FOTR is this high....but wait....is TTT still to come? I hope not.

It was already on the list.  It was the first LOTR movie to show up

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 3

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

131 Points (34 Votes, Avg Score 33.18)

latest?cb=20150203041055

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Number 1 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 5 Placements: 6 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (7, +4), 2013 (5, +2), 2012 (2, -1)

Tomatometer: 91%

Box Office: 313.36m (467.35m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 4 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

Critic Opinion: "Unlike so many big budget productions, the first movie instalment of JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth trilogy doesn't condescend to a teenage audience, but creates a sophisticated universe which abides by its own laws: a primordial world older than history and legend, back in the realm of myth. Here young hobbit Frodo Baggins (Wood) comes into possession of the ring of power - a talisman of evil so potent it corrupts everyone who touches it. Under the guidance of the wizard Gandalf (McKellen), Frodo escapes the clutches of the fearsome ring wraiths along with his faithful friend Sam (Astin), and heads for the kingdom of the elves, where they hope to thwart the encroaching forces of doom. Mostly, the film makes light work of Tolkien's richly Celtic imagination. You don't so much admire its virtuoso camerawork as lose yourself in the grandeur of the Gothic design, the bucolic Shire and mountain ranges riddled with mines and fire pits. Granted, there's a sermonising element which invites parody, but it never wants for menace (parents should probably steer young children clear). In unveiling the Holy Grail for action-fantasy aficionados, director and co-writer Peter Jackson has begun a series to rival Star Wars in the pantheon." - Tom Charity

User Opinion: "I'm so struck with how perfect this movie is. The acting, the storytelling, the world that after all this time is just as stunningly beautiful. Also, the greatest soundtrack ever made for a movie. Howard Shore is pure genius. 
The Lothlorien scenes were my favourite part of the movie. I love Tolkien's Elves. And the ending scenes... so many memories." - James

Personal Comment: The Lord of the Rings makes a final appearance on our countdown with the first movie from the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Ring.  The Fellowship of the Ring is the 18th movie from the 2000s decade to make our list, and the final movie from the 21st century to do so.  There is much to love about this movie, just like all three of the trilogy, simply being that they work as one cohesive film that it really feels silly ranking them all at different places on the list.  The movie marks the beginning of the epic journey, and in a sense is the lightest in tone of the trilogy.  There is much excitement about the start, and it's something that helps give this movie a mark of distinction from the other two.  The film also has one of the best moments of the entire trilogy in the Mines of Moria which warrants its placement at the top of the list, it was a gutsy move by the original author (Tolkien) who unfortunately kind of retconned it later on (however it doesn't remove the impact it has when it happens.  However if there was one thing I could change about the series as a whole it'd be to have more permanence to Tolkien's initial decision).  The Lord of the Rings is a special trilogy that no fantasy series has been able to match, at least on the big screen.

This and the first Matrix were the best theatrical experiences I've ever had.

• Like 1

FOTR is actually my least favorite of three (all are fantastic, and have the almost exact rating from me, though), but I'm fine by it's placement regardless.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2