WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

beating im3 is not a lock for infinity wars part 1 imo.

considering ca3 was marketed as half avengers i don' think ta3's ow will rise over it by much.

crossing 409m would take 182m ow/2.25x.

with aou doing 192/2.40x after ta's 207/3x, and ca3 doing 179/~2.3x, 182m/2.25x or slightly less is not unreasonable for infinity wars 1.

I think the big wild card in that is going to be Chris Pratt and GOTGII.  If that one breaks out and suddenly Pratt is turning into the kind of MCU draw that RDJ is, playing up Infinity War I as Star Lord meets the Avengers for the first time might give it that needed novelty factor.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think the big wild card in that is going to be Chris Pratt and GOTGII.  If that one breaks out and suddenly Pratt is turning into the kind of MCU draw that RDJ is, playing up Infinity War I as Star Lord meets the Avengers for the first time might give it that needed novelty factor.

true. one can imagine star lord meeting the avengers causing a lot of buzz just like spiderman meeting them did. boils down to gotg2's reception. on the flip side, handling so many characters in the same movie is tricky.

Edited by a2knet

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

true. one can imagine star lord meeting the avengers causing a lot of buzz just like spiderman meeting them did. boils down to gotg2's reception. on the flip side, handling so many characters in the same movie is tricky.

That's true...  I think the Russo Brothers mentioned that there will be 66 or 67 characters in the Infinity War movies earlier this year. 

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 1

FINALLY! An UPDATE!

http://deadline.com/2016/05/angry-birds-neighbors-2-the-nice-guys-weekend-box-office-1201760146/

5TH UPDATE, Late Saturday Night:

If Sony/Rovio’s The Angry Birds Movie is going to crack $40M, it will be because of Sunday. The feature adaptation of the long-running app game saw an average 52% jump over Friday’s $10.9M for $16.6M which puts it’s opening between $38.8M and $39.5M. That’s still the third best opening for a toon from the Culver City lot after Hotel Transylvania 2 ($48.5M) and Hotel Transylvania ($42.5M).

Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War is set to decline 54% in its third sesh from a week ago. Though that’s a bit steeper than Iron Man 3 and Avengers: Age of Ultron‘s -50% hold at the same point in time, it’s still great with $33.1M in second and a running cume of $347.4M.

Universal’s Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising fell 11% last night for $7.85M, which comes as no surprise to those box office analysts tracking it. The Nicholas Stoller sequel is now poised to open in third at $21.75M, which is 56% off from the opening of the 2014 title.

9 minutes ago, ProtoMan said:

That's true...  I think the Russo Brothers mentioned that there will be 66 or 67 characters in the Infinity War movies earlier this year. 

Imagine if that were true, some new troll would show up on the forum and whine that they all didn't get equal screen time :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

The Nice Guys after drawing in 52% males per PostTrak is looking at an opening of $11.3M,which gets it into fourth place above Disney’s The Jungle Book which is eyeing $10.85M in its sixth frame with a running total of $327.3M. 

Went to see the Nice Guys today. The 5pm showing was already close to sold out when I tried to book the ticket in the morning. My friend and I have to sit in the front. It's a great movie. I hope more people will go see it. The ending clearly leaves space for a sequel and I want that to happen.

I like Ed Douglas and his weekend warrior columns, but this is literally not the reason why Neighbors 2 flopped. 

The movie just looked like a carbon copy of the first and didn't exactly offer anything new to the audiences. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I like Ed Douglas and his weekend warrior columns, but this is literally not the reason why Neighbors 2 flopped. 

The movie just looked like a carbon copy of the first and didn't exactly offer anything new to the audiences. 

It's a decent comedy and the feminist slant is kinda cool, but it's not as funny as the first movie, and Moretz and her friends aren't nearly as good at comedy as Efron and Franco were in the first movie. 

What's up w/the constant overestimations this weekend? Everytime a number is predicted, BAM, it goes under. Was Deadline on some full-on hype mode for whatever reason, or did the west coast simply not give much of a shit about movies this weekend?

Meh, whatever. It's starting to look like that 1st Quarter was an excellent OW, and now the year is showing how frontloaded it was w/some not so spectacular legs.

So glad that Civil War is such a massive disappointment. I hope it's a sign that people are getting sick of this superhero crap; and yes I hated BVS as well. Civil War was crap and it's failure at the box office reflects that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This plus comedy sequels are always awful and pointless.

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

All superhero movies are made for the fans, ALL OF THEM.. And you honest to God thought CIVIL WAR lacked the epic large scale action pieces when the damn movie's plot centered it on being Global??? Between you and Baumer, I don't think you 2 watched this movie at all or have a severe case of ADD cause this is absurd once again...

I agree that it had epic large scale battle but it certainly didn't have an interesting film from start to finish.

• Like 2

I completely disagree with you @grim22.  Comedy sequels always look like rehashes of the original.  They're supposed to.  You don't reinvent the wheel when something works the first time.  Grown Ups 2, Hangover 2, 22 Jump Street, American Pie 2, and you can go on and on.  If Neighbors 2 had a completely different plot and it failed then people would be saying that if it aint broke don't fix it.  

The truth is imo, you don't always know why some sequels work and others don't.  But when you have a film that makes 150 million dollars, chances are there's going to be a sequel.  It not working has nothing to do with the story looking recycled.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pieman said:

So glad that Civil War is such a massive disappointment. I hope it's a sign that people are getting sick of this superhero crap; and yes I hated BVS as well. Civil War was crap and it's failure at the box office reflects that.

yeah a film that is easily going to crack a billion WW will def. get studios to stop making them lmao.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Domestic OW and total, yes; every AP film improved over its predecessor.

Worldwide total, however, Austin Powers 3 declined from AP2.

Oh yes. My bad, did't notice that.