CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

Dang, I didn’t realize Maleficent 2 got THAT panned by critics and that loved by audience on RT. 39% vs 95%, that’s gotta be one of the all time critic/audience RT discrepancy gaps? Both are definitely way too extreme. Like I said, the movie was shockingly mildly entertaining when it really didn’t have any right to be, but also tons of big flaws still. 

The discussions of this film have become toxic, to no one surpirse.You have the right wing racist on the one hand, and those who say any critjcism of the film is racist on the other.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I think the lack of starpower is hurting this one. There's no one on the level of Emma Watson or pre-slap Will smith to draw audiences in.

Have'nt seen the projections, have you?

Your troll act is getting old.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jedijake said:

Worse than what we've seen here in the US with "those" groups?

"Those" group in US seems to be treated as villain, and be drowned on internet by the other group. Not sure if they're really minority. In Asia they aren't villain nor minority, so maybe, worse.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

US racists are white supremacists. Asian racists* are walking talking studies of inferiority complexes who project their self-hate on other non-white races to feel better about themselves, hoping they are second best to the whites. It's actually a far sadder, more pathetic situation.

*Emphasis on Asian racists like those attacking minority actors like Halle, not a generalization of all Asian people ofc. And also the last thing I'll say on this subject coz it's icky but someone needed to say it out loud. 

What the heck are you talking about???

Edited by EmeraldWitch
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

I think the lack of starpower is hurting this one. There's no one on the level of Emma Watson or pre-slap Will smith to draw audiences in.

This is on track to open to 125 to 140 million this weekend. How is it hurting again?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

The fact that Aladdin is rotten while Mulan is fresh is baffling to me. They aren’t even CLOSE in terms of quality.

I’m with the critics on that one too. 

I thought Aladdin was abysmal lol. 

I’m going to have to wait til Sunday for Little Mermaid, as the IMAX evening showtimes are non existent. Fast X is unfortunately keeping those. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just realized we all apparently forgot about lady and the tramp lmao. Did anyone actually see it? 

I saw it lol but totally forgot, same with Pinocchio. Would say those are the worst ones by far, haven't seen Peter Pan and Wendy

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

US racists are white supremacists. Asian racists* are walking talking studies of inferiority complexes who project their self-hate on other non-white races to feel better about themselves, hoping they are second best to the whites. It's actually a far sadder, more pathetic situation.

*Emphasis on Asian racists like those attacking minority actors like Halle, not a generalization of all Asian people ofc. And also the last thing I'll say on this subject coz it's icky but someone needed to say it out loud. 

Exactly this.

I mean, China is the country that in some warped and dangerous logic were blaming Africans for a covid outbreak (and racially attacked them) and created that horrible racist advertisement where a black man was put into a washing machine by a Chinese girl  and was "washed" into a Chinese man for her acceptance. The latter was so bad that even folks in China had to protest that racist nonsense. Disney wouldn't have reduced Finn's image on the Star Wars poster in China for no reason. South Korea is such a weird case because some of them seem to worship "whiteness" and reject everything black to the point that they seem to be plagiarizing and appropriating African-American music (and imagery) without ever giving credit to them.  Seriously, there's someone that looks like a Korean 50 Cent and Omarion. There is research that has shown how much some East Asians worship whiteness and define whiteness as the pinnacle of "beauty". It is what it is.

To bring it closer to topic, this isn't really general racism as much as it is targeted anti-blackness which is a separate thing unto itself. That's why the term "BIPOC" is a thing in the US because racism unfortunately isn't a one size fits all phenomenon.  Everyone living in North America knows how much the Indigenous and Black people on the continent have and still suffer from generations of racism, economic redlining, system inequality and just downright disdain. The attacks on TLM is targeted anti-blackness which has risen steadily since Obama became President and Trump came after him. I can't imagine how anyone can look at Halle Bailey and ignore her talent and her beauty all because they feel "MerMiAdS mUSt Be WhItE!!".  I can tell you that a lot of minorities in the US were stunned at the racist reaction towards TLM because mermaids aren't real and neither is Ariel.

Now, I am not saying that everyone in these countries (i.e China and S.Korea) is racist but they do have a thing of wide-spread anti-blackness (especially in China) and often times repeat white supremacist talking points. There really should be a discussion amongst themselves about why some of them seem to worship whiteness and have disdain for people that have darker skin. 

I know this all comes across as harsh but sometimes, the truth just needs to be said.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Exactly this.

I mean, China is the country that in some warped and dangerous logic were blaming Africans for a covid outbreak (and racially attacked them) and created that horrible racist advertisement where a black man was put into a washing machine by a Chinese girl  and was "washed" into a Chinese man for her acceptance. The latter was so bad that even folks in China had to protest that racist nonsense. Disney wouldn't have reduced Finn's image on the Star Wars poster in China for no reason. South Korea is such a weird case because some of them seem to worship "whiteness" and reject everything black to the point that they seem to be plagiarizing and appropriating African-American music (and imagery) without ever giving credit to them.  Seriously, there's someone that looks like a Korean 50 Cent and Omarion. There is research that has shown how much some East Asians worship whiteness and define whiteness as the pinnacle of "beauty". It is what it is.

To bring it closer to topic, this isn't really general racism as much as it is targeted anti-blackness which is a separate thing unto itself. That's why the term "BIPOC" is a thing in the US because racism unfortunately isn't a one size fits all phenomenon.  Everyone living in North America knows how much the Indigenous and Black people on the continent have and still suffer from generations of racism, economic redlining, system inequality and just downright disdain. The attacks on TLM is targeted anti-blackness which has risen steadily since Obama became President and Trump came after him. I can't imagine how anyone can look at Halle Bailey and ignore her talent and her beauty all because they feel "MerMiAdS mUSt Be WhItE!!".  I can tell you that a lot of minorities in the US were stunned at the racist reaction towards TLM because mermaids aren't real and neither is Ariel.

Now, I am not saying that everyone in these countries (i.e China and S.Korea) is racist but they do have a thing of wide-spread anti-blackness (especially in China) and often times repeat white supremacist talking points. There really should be a discussion amongst themselves about why some of them seem to worship whiteness and have disdain for people that have darker skin. 

I know this all comes across as harsh but sometimes, the truth just needs to be said.

"Fair skin" is a pretty popular canon beauty in Asian countries, especially between women (although men aren't free of this). 

To be clear, the "fair skin" canon beauty isn't related to white people. It's a pretty old canon beauty that started before they have a lot of contact with white people.

When Asian people says they like "white skin", they don't mean white people. They likely mean "fair skin" in Asian people.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, TMP said:

Looks like this might be going certified fresh, since it jumped from 69 to 74 in a few days. Rare Rob Marshall W

Tbf, that's around the same RT range as his last 3 Disney musicals (which all sucked tho).

Edited by lorddemaxus

Funny enough, I didn't really care enough about this movie until it became part of the culture war nonsense. I only want to see it succeed to shut those guys up.

All this being said, I'm glad to see it get good reviews, the Disney live-action remakes haven't been my thing at all. Then again, I am not the target audience, so there's that.

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Tbf, that's around the same RT range as his last 3 Disney musicals (which all sucked tho).

I wanna know if people are actually fans of him as a director, or if they just love the properties he adapts so much they're willing to overcome his shortcomings as a film-maker. He kind of stopped trying to be a serious film-maker at all after his Day-Lewis nine mega-bombed

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TMP said:

I wanna know if people are actually fans of him as a director, or if they just love the properties he adapts so much they're willing to overcome his shortcomings as a film-maker. He kind of stopped trying to be a serious film-maker at all after his Day-Lewis nine mega-bombed

I feel its the latter. I think its why Chicago won Best Picture eventhough it sucks ass (never seen the original musical but I assume it's a faithful adaptation)