La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The summers aren't that bad really, similar number of hits, it's just that studios are farting out 150M movies every week and wondering why they don't compete with the big titles

And greenlighting sequels to every piece of shit that barely succeeds

are you telling me if you were a studio executive, you wouldn't have greenlit sequels to widely successful films like TMNT, Alice, and NYSM? 

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

are you telling me if you were a studio executive, you wouldn't have greenlit sequels to widely successful films like TMNT, Alice, and NYSM

Movies with twist endings traditionally don't get sequels no matter how much they make. :P

Just now, John Marston said:

are you telling me if you were a studio executive, you wouldn't have greenlit sequels to widely successful films like TMNT, Alice, and NYSM? 

I would not have greenlit sequels to NYSM or Snow White and the Huntsman

Alice 2's existence is understandable, TMNT's as well

• Like 5

Just now, Chewy said:

I would not have greenlit sequels to NYSM or Snow White and the Huntsman

Alice 2's existence is understandable, TMNT's as well

Snow White and the Huntsman sequel was definitely a bad idea since the first wasn't THAT successful

Now You See Me though made 340m worldwide on a 75m budget. If the sequel was also made on a reasonable budget, it probably is a good idea. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rentaro1989 said:

The COnjuring 52 Million..HAHAHAHAHAHA..by the way it oppened in SOuth KOrea with an insane 17k dollars openning.LOL

From 1 screen. Plus it looks like a mistake. The release week is "-1". 

NYSM is understandable. On a creative side maybe it doesn't make sense (although the end of the first one clearly set up a sequel), but it made a ton of money and had super good legs, people liked it very much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wonder Woman will perform fine. It had a budget of 100 million, according to the news.

It won't flop by any means. I loved her character in BVS. Batman was also excellent, Affleck really surprised me. 

I think that Variety video was as in "over $100m". Cause we've seen $150m somewhere else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, department store basement said:

Seriously, if Allegiant were released right now instead of in March it probably could have topped the box office.

4 hours ago, a2knet said:

Now we can say that but when they scheduled ALLEGIANT last year, look at what potential the weekend had,

TMNT2 55M

ALICE2 28M (following a 60m 3-day)*

APOC 26M (following an 80m 3-day)*

top 3 gross = 109M

* before 3 CBMs doing 330M+ and TJB & ZOOTP doing 340M+, and before meh reception, both APOC and ALICE2 were predicted even higher that my numbers.

Instead of,

TMNT2 32M

APOC 21.5M

ALICE2 10.5M

top 3 gross = 64M

I am doubtful Allegiant would have done any better being released in June.  In fact, there could have been the opposite possibility too: it may have done even worse than what it did back being released in March.  It still would have had that very low RT score around the time of its release.  And Ascendant is currently scheduled for June 2017.  And speaking of that:

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol Ascendant is not getting made. Not at this point.

So when should we hear the news about this if that's the case?  I did not hear anything from that Lionsgate conference call a couple of weeks ago that Ascendant would be cancelled.

3 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

So when should we hear the news about this if that's the case?  I did not hear anything from that Lionsgate conference call a couple of weeks ago that Ascendant would be cancelled.

They'll just quietly pull it from the release schedule once this one has ended its run officially and we'll never hear about it again. Same thing happened with that Mortal Instruments sequel, which had begun casting and was ready to shoot a month after the movie opened but was stalled after the film bombed and never resumed production.

Edited by filmlover

Personally, I think Pirates 5 is going to see a huge drop, especially domestic.

It's a sequel starring Not-A-Draw-Anymore Depp, arriving a few years too late for a movie no one liked all that much.

Sounds familiar.

Edited by JennaJ

17 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The summers aren't that bad really, similar number of hits, it's just that studios are farting out 150M movies every week and wondering why they don't compete with the big titles

And greenlighting sequels to every piece of shit that barely succeeds

I'm also worried about next summer for similar reason. Not one week exists without some kind of big tentpole, and the noteworthy victories of American Sniper, Deadpool, and Zootopia will spread the nightmare love all over the year. When everyone tries to bring something big to the table, it collapses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I'm also worried about next summer for similar reason. Not one week exists without some kind of big tentpole, and the noteworthy victories of American Sniper, Deadpool, and Zootopia will spread the nightmare love all over the year. When everyone tries to bring something big to the table, it collapses. 

I don't think too many "would be tentpoles" make everything collapse, I just think most of them don't become actual tentpoles.

Some of them - the good ones, the crowd pleasing ones, should still find success.

This summer I don't think any movie that disappointed was one I was excited to watch (not on the tentpole level, at least). The sub-par ones are having sub-par results.

Yes, it's crowded, but I can't really say the results are surprising when taking the reviews and WOM into account.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Finnick said:

Deadpool earned almost 9M OS / Total 772M and it is on course to 800M WW. Incredible!!!

DP is almost done Dom. It's 28m away from 800m WW. Do you think OS has that much left? I don't know what markets are remaining.