La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

41 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wonder Woman will perform fine. It had a budget of 100 million, according to the news.

It won't flop by any means. I loved her character in BVS. Batman was also excellent, Affleck really surprised me. 

It's $150m. The $100m thing was just the headline that it would be the first female directed movie with an OVER $100m budget. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Can we take a time to interiorize that Deadpool is on the path to break 800M (just 70M shy of BVS, when everyone expected a 500-600M or more difference), and Zootopia has just done a billion?

giphy.gif

It's going to have to hold on pretty well to make it past $800. Keep your fingers crossed for Japan.

Part of being a good executive in business is knowing how to quit when you're ahead. You're supposed to be able to read the tea leaves and weigh cost/benefit analysis. So if I'm greenlighting a movie that is significantly more expensive and seems liable to do alot less money, then I am a bad executive. So no, I would not at all greenlight NYSM2, Alice 2, Neighbors 2, or any other sequel that seems very likely to cost alot more and do alot less at the box office. That's kind of the whole point of the decision making process. Would have greenlit TMNT2 for sure though- and they'll make a profit off of merch/auxillary streams with kids too. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4

All I want next summer is for Apes to be as good as Dawn and increase further in grosses. And, okay, for Dunkirk to make bank, if only because that's refreshing subject matter to spend a ton of money on and I don't want that kind of movie to disappear entirely.

• Like 8

Nutty that the only non-sequel to make $75M+ this year but not reach $300M so far is The Angry Birds Movie. I'd like to think the year will start producing some midrange hits soon, but we're in June now so maybe it really is the year of feast or famine.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

It's $150m. The $100m thing was just the headline that it would be the first female directed movie with an OVER $100m budget. 

Oh, that's fine. It's still a reasonable budget for this kind of movie.

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Part of being a good executive in business is knowing how to quit when you're ahead. You're supposed to be able to read the tea leaves and weigh cost/benefit analysis. So if I'm greenlighting a movie that is significantly more expensive and seems liable to do alot less money, then I am a bad executive. So no, I would not at all greenlight NYSM2, Alice 2, Neighbors 2, or any other sequel that seems very likely to cost alot more and do alot less at the box office. That's kind of the whole point of the decision making process. Would have greenlit TMNT2 for sure though- and they'll make a profit off of merch/auxillary streams with kids too. 

Alice 2 would've been a fine idea if they released it 2 years after the first. After that many years had passed through, better to just leave it on the shelf. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Greenlighting movies because a small but vocal minority keeps asking for them is even crazier. The "We want Dredd 2" crowd is the weirdest one, no one watched the first movie and the people demanding Dredd 2 are the same ones who will pirate it.

The Vampire Academy producers were smart - they asked the fans to put their money where their mouth is and the fans didn't respond, so they were able to point at them and say "No movie because you let us down"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/09/10/dredd-2-vampire-academy-2-and-sequels-to-flop-originals-that-will-probably-never-be/#339fa4243cbb

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nutty that the only non-sequel to make $75M+ this year but not reach $300M so far is The Angry Birds Movie. I'd like to think the year will start producing some midrange hits soon, but we're in June now so maybe it really is the year of feast or famine.

ghostbusters and central intelligence

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Greenlighting movies because a small but vocal minority keeps asking for them is even crazier. The "We want Dredd 2" crowd is the weirdest one, no one watched the first movie and the people demanding Dredd 2 are the same ones who will pirate it

I'd watch it theatres!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm starting to believe Ghostbusters is gonna be massive. The curiosity factor is through the roof and it actually looks distinctive, especially when compared to the majority of this summer's tentpoles.

Just now, tribefan695 said:

Like that year looks so much better

That's what happens when you release tentpoles all year long. Makes the schedule look less exciting. Not that I expect studios will learn from that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Like that year looks so much better

The new business model in Hollywood seems to be "Anticipation". People enjoy looking forward to the next big thimg than actually watching the current movies.

• Like 1