WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

4 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Comparable preview numbers for Conjuring 2:

The Conjuring - 3.3 M

Insidious Chapter 2 - 1.5 M

The Purge 2 - 2.6 M

Annabelle - 2.1 M

Poltergeist - 1.4 M

Insidious Chapter 3 - 1.6 M

Paranormal Activity 2 - 6.4M

Paranormal Activty 3 - 8M

:ohmyzod:

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

RIP 40M. 

The target is also 30M for this one. 

40M still a possibility depending on WOM I'd think, considering the first one got there with slightly lower numbers and great WOM, no?

• Like 7

I don't even think midnights matter as much for Conjuring. The first Conjuring and even Annabelle had a much better internal weekend (and midnights) multi than most horror flicks and especially better than PA movies. It will hit 40m.

Just now, James said:

I don't even think midnights matter as much for Conjuring. The first Conjuring and even Annabelle had a much better internal weekend (and midnights) multi than most horror flicks and especially better than PA movies. It will hit 40m.

Annabelle opened outside of summer.

Am I missing something. Those are good numbers for both C2 and WC imo.

WC previews > TMNT2 (2m)

Though WC will be pretty font-loaded.

C2 par with C1. Yes yes I know :)...even APOC was par with DOFP in previews and had much smaller OW as previews get stronger as times goes by due to more showtimes and sequel front-loading. But still, good for C2 @ ~35m after 41m for C1, looking at how some sequels recently are falling from originals.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

Not to restart an argument from last week (thought TMNT DID finish a few million over initial projections post previews), but from having family in schools in Florida, I can say for us that today is the last day of school, and IIRC it's the same for North Carolina too. I kinda assume it is the same throughout the South, and since the schools start after LD in the Northeast, I figure they get out even later. Point is, even if it is not a significant number, there is still a decent amount of high schoolers studying for exams/end of school partying, and that's big for a horror movie's previews. The last Conjuring was smack in the middle of July, so that wasn't even a minor issue then. 

Friday AM Update: Leading the charge Thursday evening, Warner's The Conjuring 2 brought in $3.4 million, a number that matches The Purge, which opened in early June 2013 and went on to haul in $34 million in its opening weekend. It's also $100,000 more than the original film brought in when it opened, leading to a $41.8 million opening. Warcraft jumped off to a strong start on Thursday evening, hauling in $3.1 million in late night shows in 2,632 theaters, which began at 7:00 PM. It's a number that immediately causes some second guessing based on early estimates as San Andreas brought in the same amount on Thursday evening last May and opened with $54.5 million. Also, Pacific Rim brought in $3.6 million in July of 2013 and opened with $37.2 million. Of course, given the buzz, a better comparison may actually be last year's Fantastic Four, which brought in $2.7 million from Thursday showings, ultimately opening with $25.6 million. The big question is whether this is a sign of things to come or just hardcore fans showing up to see the film the first chance they get. Friday estimates tomorrow morning will flesh the story out much more.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4195&p=.htm

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Annabelle opened outside of summer.

So did PA2. And that made almost 1/6 of it's OW from midnights alone. Annabelle only made 1/18 from it's OW from midnights. I just want to say that the franchise itself is not very frontloaded when it comes to horror movies. At least not when it comes to midnight/weekend ratio.

• Like 1

Just now, ThatOneGuy said:

I'm trying to find comparable movies for NYSM2 that actually have preview numbers for them.

I came up with NYSM, Red 2, and the two Expendables sequels.  No preview numbers I can find for any of them :lol: 

54 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Since they are coming, here are some comparable preview numbers: 

Now You See Me - 1.5M

TMNT2 - 2.0M

Grown Ups 2 - 2.3M

White House Down - 1.4M

Think Like a Man 2 - 1.8M

Ted 2 - 2.6M

Magic Mike XXL - 2.4M

Allegiant - 2.4M

• Like 1