WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

CONJURING1 released in middle of July. Don't know if that skews previews in some way compared to 2nd weekend of June. Assuming more students are out of schools in mid-July opposed to early June, CONJURING2's 3.4m matching the predecessors 3.3m could lead to a better than expected weekend.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Warcraft is doing fine given the awful reviews.

NYSM2 and Conjuring 2 are doing fine given the sequel glut.

Nothing is doing spectacular, but hey, this weekend looks to definitely be an improvement.

Next weekend will be the savior

5 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

There's no way Conjuring 2 has a worse OW than Annabelle.

Warcraft is not having a similar OW to F4, especially after preview numbers on par with San Andreas.

NYSM2 seems about right to me though (although I'm about a million higher).

I expect massive fan-boy front-loading for WC. But my 25m could be a low and ~30m is possible.

I agree about CJ2. Just saw ANNABELLE's numbers. For some reason I thought it did 27m instead of 37m.

CJ2 should go above or at least match it.

I'm gonna be real honest- I feel zero buzz for Independence Day. No one seems to be talking about this movie, and the empirical metrics ain't great either. It'll still move numbers, but yea. Pretty pessimistic. Next weekend will have the biggest movie and the biggest breakout of the summer, though. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

Warcraft jumped off to a strong start on Thursday evening, hauling in $3.1 million in late night shows in 2,632 theaters, which began at 7:00 PM. It's a number that immediately causes some second guessing based on early estimates as San Andreas brought in the same amount on Thursday evening last May and opened with $54.5 million. Also, Pacific Rimbrought in $3.6 million in July of 2013 and opened with $37.2 million. Of course, given the buzz, a better comparison may actually be last year's Fantastic Four

Deadline throwing shade... :lol: 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I expect massive fan-boy front-loading for WC. But my 25m could be a low and ~30m is possible.

I agree about CJ2. Just saw ANNABELLE's numbers. For some reason I thought it did 27m instead of 37m.

CJ2 should go above or at least match it.

What are you talking about?  Warcraft doesn't have fanboys!  Just casual audience members like me who love a fantastic fantasy movie!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Yep.  Allegiant had very weak legs.  The first NYSM had strong legs, so I think that should continue for this one.

Ride Along was a very leggy hit and that didn't help Ride Along 2's legs.

With Ride Along 2's legs (2.57 multiplier) and a 25m opening NYSM2 will make 64.4m, just below Allegiant.

Edited by department store basement

I believe that Dory, Independence Day, Purge, and Tarzan will be huge and save the box office. Dory is a sequel to a beloved animated film, Independence Day is a sequel to a huge alien film, nostalgia and the big destruction sets will help it. Purge will be helped by the great marketing campaign, and Tarzan will be helped the CGI animals/jungle, and the epic battles in it.

3 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I believe that Dory, Independence Day, Purge, and Tarzan will be huge and save the box office. Dory is a sequel to a beloved animated film, Independence Day is a sequel to a huge alien film, nostalgia and the big destruction sets will help it. Purge will be helped by the great marketing campaign, and Tarzan will be helped the CGI animals/jungle, and the epic battles in it.

and Suicide Squad

• Like 1

Tarzan isn't breaking out :lol: 

• Like 2

Now there's a movie I'm feeling zero buzz for. I honestly haven't seen a single ad on TV.

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Glad I'm not alone in thinking Purge 3 will do well.

The first Purge movie had horrendous legs and was completely forgotten after its run, so Universal decided to market the second film the exact same way as the first. And it worked. Now they're doing the same thing again for the third time and I'm confident it's going to work again.

I heavily disagree with you on Tarzan though, I think it'll be the worst performer of the 4 new wide releases that weekend (worse than Purge 3, BFG, and Shallows).

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

Ride Along was a very leggy hit and that didn't help Ride Along 2's legs.

With Ride Along 2's legs (2.57 multiplier) NYSM2 will make 64.4m, just below Allegiant.

The difference is...

Ride Along 1's multiplier - 3.25 (with a boost from a 4-day weekend)

Ride Along 2 - 2.57

NYSM had a 4.01x multiplier.  Much higher than Ride Along's multiplier.