WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

Just now, James said:

So did PA2. And that made almost 1/6 of it's OW from midnights alone. Annabelle only made 1/18 from it's OW from midnights. I just want to say that the franchise itself is not very frontloaded when it comes to horror movies. At least not when it comes to midnight/weekend ratio.

Comparing it to Paranormal Activity 2 is useless because that came out in an entirely different box office landscape despite it being just six years ago.

Now You See Me - 1.5M

TMNT2 - 2.0M

Grown Ups 2 - 2.3M

White House Down - 1.4M

Think Like a Man 2 - 1.8M

Ted 2 - 2.6M

Magic Mike XXL - 2.4M

Allegiant - 2.4M

The Expendables 2 - 685k

The Expendables 3 - 875k

Bumping this up so I can make comparisons without  having to flip through a couple of pages.

3 minutes ago, ThatOneGuy said:

I'm trying to find comparable movies for NYSM2 that actually have preview numbers for them.

I came up with NYSM, Red 2, and the two Expendables sequels.  No preview numbers I can find for any of them :lol: 

NYSM1 did 1.5m

ALL preview numbers in this amazing spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l98WO6oUuT0o_HRXZWZ5oOKEiAIluseRbYyBevWJY-E/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

NYSM1 is Row# 274

Now You See Me - 1.5M

TMNT2 - 2.0M

Grown Ups 2 - 2.3M

White House Down - 1.4M

Think Like a Man 2 - 1.8M

Ted 2 - 2.6M

Magic Mike XXL - 2.4M

Allegiant - 2.4M

The Expendables 2 - 685k

The Expendables 3 - 875k

Red 2 - 800k

Wanna keep this updated because for some odd reason, I'm highly anticipating NYSM2's preview numbers :lol: 

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Comparing it to Paranormal Activity 2 is useless because that came out in an entirely different box office landscape despite it being just six years ago.

It was six years ago. And the market was much more backloaded then. Which just makes it even more obvious that TC as a franchise has good internal multis. And it is a far better comparison than Deadline's idiotic comparison with the first Purge movie which 1. was an original movie 2. despite having a stronger midnight than the first Conjuring had a way weaker weekend - 34m vs. 41m). At a minimum, being a super frontloaded sequel, TC2 will open to 34m. But that won't happen. There is nothing to indicate that in this franchise so far. If Annabelle, with awful reviews and a way weaker midnight managed 37m+, I think TC2 will manage 40m.

Edited by James

Wow, according to that article ( deadline ), Warcraft needs to make 450 million worldwide, just to break even...:(

Hell, that's way too much. I mean, if domestic grosses are insanely low ( less than 100 million ), the movie will really depend on foreign grosses to get a sequel. China's numbers are dropping there.

I know the whole Legendary/Wanda deal in China, but if the producers only keep 50% ( let's imagine movie makes 300 million there, which would give them 150 million ), that's still dangerous.

They better slash that high budget for the sequel!

Think Like a Man Too is actually a pretty good comp for NYSM2, disparate as they seem. Moderately received summer sequel to a well-liked and leggy hit that people weren't dying to see again.  This had a similar release date and nearly identical previews, too. That did 29 mill, for reference. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

Wow, according to that article ( deadline ), Warcraft needs to make 450 million worldwide, just to break even...:(

Hell, that's way too much. I mean, if domestic grosses are insanely low ( less than 100 million ), the movie will really depend on foreign grosses to get a sequel. China's numbers are dropping there.

I know the whole Legendary/Wanda deal in China, but if the producers only keep 50% ( let's imagine movie makes 300 million there, which would give them 150 million ), that's still dangerous.

They better slash that high budget for the sequel!

The post theatrical run will bring a hell lot of money. And the budget is low as it is. 160m in today's blockbuster market is very resonable. All in all, this will make a boatload of cash.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Think Like a Man Too is actually a pretty good comp for NYSM2, disparate as they seem. Moderately received summer sequel to a well-liked and leggy hit that people weren't dying to see again.  This had a similar release date and nearly identical previews, too. That did 29 mill, for reference. 

The audience for TLAM2 doesn't exactly seem like the type to rush out for a Thursday preview though, hence my 25M prediction.

• Like 1