Ezen Baklattan

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give Independence Day: Resurgence?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This was quite the disappointment. I was going in already with low expectations but.... man. I love the first one, one of the best disaster films ever IMO, but this was just bad. My biggest complaint is that they kill off Vivica A. Fox AND Bill Pullman's characters. WTF. And the worst crime is that they don't do either of their deaths justice. A huge slap in the face. And the reaction from the son to Fox's death is more comical than anything, yelling "noooooo" as she falls to her death LOL. And Pullman's death is done and over within a couple minutes and absolutely NO reaction or emotional value or anything. The white sphere is so stupid. The kids driving thru the wreckage is so shoehorned in and completely unnecessary. Acting is pretty terrible, most of the side characters are annoying as hell and also completely useless. Bad attempts at comedic relief. Ending that so blatantly sets up a sequel that probably won't and shouldn't happen. Not enough distraction scenes but the ones that are in the movie are ok. I'm not one to complain about iconic buildings smashed to bits. Just don't expect the level of destruction the first one did so awesomely. The last 15 or 20 minutes when the Queen chases the bus, the tornado, and the fighters finally put a fleeting smile on my face. Overall, however the cons far outweigh the pros. And I like to love all of Emmerich's disaster fare. But not this. Even for a summer popcorn movie, this was pretty bad. Go watch The Shallows instead. Bigger. Smarter. Faster. Meaner. 

C-/D+

• Like 1

Someone on Reddit pointed this out - Emmerich likes to put kids and dogs in danger. However in this movie the young characters are too young to have kids and the old characters are too old, so Emmerich literally has kids and a dog bussed to the climax in a side story that is completely disposable and adds nothing. And since the side story is irritating as is, you don't care that the kids and the dog are in danger in the end.

Apparently in the novelization, the bus arrives just as the queen's exoskeleton is shot down by a combination of Monroe's scream and the "falling with style" ships and runs over the just about alive queen. Would have at least given that whole plotline some context.

• Like 3

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!

A Giant Alien? No suspense, no mystery, no build up, what a fucking boring slog. SO MUCH GREEN SCREEN. you can't drive to the fucking desert like the first movie, you can't find a hanger? 

Why does this exist? All they had to do was remake the fucking last movie but instead they took a one off and tried way to hard to franchise it. This fucking sucks. 

Everyone is terrible. The girl on the bus shows more emotion than anyone but damn Goldblum is a fine ass man. How does he look so young and hip? 

D

• Like 3

There's one scene where Monroe looks incredibly hot. if you feel that one scene is worth $10 then by all means go out and see the film. If not just Google Michael Monroe hot and you will save yourself $10.

• Like 1

Honestly, the movie had lost me by the time it got to the simultaneous Aliens/Godzilla third act ripoff.

To put it into perspective for anyone who may still be considering seeing the film: I'm an Emmerich apologist (to the extent that I was only "meh" to his widely-derided Godzilla remake, as opposed to hating it outright), and yet I still thought it was awful.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, Baumer said:

There's one scene where Monroe looks incredibly hot. if you feel that one scene is worth $10 then by all means go out and see the film. If not just Google Michael Monroe hot and you will save yourself $10.

lol Mae Whitman has been favoriting tweets all week that said "you dodged a bullet not being in this".

I honestly don't recall even any gratuitous shots of Monroe in this. It probably might have helped, she has nothing else going for her otherwise.

• Like 1

While I can see why some hate this movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's essentially a bigger, louder, goofier dumber version of the first but is still very enjoyable. It certainly doesn't waste anytime to deliver the goods.

My only complaints:

- The actor playing Will Smith character's son wasn't that great 

- It does feel like a chunk of it was cut out at the last minute. I noticed an awkward cut

Spoiler

during the scene the aliens invade the base where the female president and the cabinet was. Seems that scene was originally longer but was cut for time.

I enjoyed the fact that the aliens themselves had more screen-time compared to the first. You only saw them like 3 times in the original, and this time they're actually on the ground duking it out with the humans. Also liked the fact that the alien's ship seems to have some kind of ecosystem inside of it.

It's pretty much a Roland Emmerich movie, no more, no less. May not be the best film of all time, but I grew up in the 90s and 00s watching a ton of direct to video films and Syfy movies and with how bad some of those are, the reports of this being the worst movie of all time are wildly overexagerated.

Independence Day: Resurgence is a bad movie. There's no way to sugarcoat it. Every single new character is a boring archetype (although DeObia Oparei gives decent effort to an outdated stereotype). Brent Spiner is overused. Bill Pullman does an alright job, but his character is essentially the Randy Quaid of this movie, which makes absolutely no sense considering where Emmerich left him at the end of the first Independence Day. The only saving graces the film has besides the aforementioned Oparei is Jeff Goldblum and Judd Hirsch, the latter of which manages such ridiculous feats that actually have to be seen to be believed. The CGI is overdone and it's honestly confusing to watch most of the battles during the movie because of this. The film also commits the sin of being boring far too often. Thankfully, the cheese and humor Goldblum and Hirsch provide make this surprisingly watchable when they're on screen. Sadly, that's enough to make Independence Day: Resurgence a worthwhile time to both the people involved with making the film and audiences around the world. D-

The obnoxiously blunt cliffhanger ending Emmerich leaves the audience with feels more like a threat than a promise.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2016 at 0:19 AM, Webslinger said:

Everyone who saw It Follows remembers Maika Monroe... and begs everyone whose impression of her is based solely on IDR to please, please, please go back and see It Follows. ;)

or The Guest

• Like 1

a movie that should have been made between 2000-2001. Felt like i was just watching a standard movie with no real emotional connection. i also hate hive queens that are copied off the original Alien queen. Even if this one is Godzilla sized. The movie started of well....it just didnt go anywhere. So after 20 years they came along with just 1 bigger ship. How bout come along with 5 of those to really punish us humans? I dont know. This just needed to be made atleast 15 years ago. Pity. Its not awful its just .....meh

C