WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Unfortunately a lot of execs are not very bright people, or even film lovers. Many of them are promoted because they do a lot of bitch work as assistants. So people who want to be in the industry because it's "cool," not necessarily because they like or even watch movies, end up in influential positions because they put up with some douchebag boss's personal bullshit for a few years. 

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm so glad this is happening. Studio execs are already rethinking some things. Hell, they may have canceled Pitch Perfect 3 because of it. 

They'll find some other way to avoid being original, of course, but less unnecessary sequels is a good thing. 

Why on earth would PP3 be canceled. Someone call @Ethan Hunt

Edited by DAJK

Just now, Nova said:

Pitch Perfect 3 will go on. The issue is that it's not just sequels that are flopping. Original stories are too. That's why it's refreshing to see movies like Central Intelligence and The Shallows do well respective to their budgets. Maybe what Hollywood should do, is actually start creating quality films instead of garbage regardless of whether they're sequels or not. If IDR was actually a good film, I'm sure people would have went out and watched it. But it's not and people aren't stupid. 

People usually are stupid though! That's what's so crazy about it all. 

Studios green light these mediocre sequels because people usually show up in droves. 

I'm hopeful there has been a change and people really do what originality. The real proof will be in what Bayformers does next summer. 

2 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Why? What did you see from the pre release stuff that this would hit $300M.

This was back in April. I was mainly basing it off JW last year.

*youre so stupid DAJK why did you do that*

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

People usually are stupid though! That's what's so crazy about it all. 

Studios green light these mediocre sequels because people usually show up in droves. 

I'm hopeful there has been a change and people really do what originality. The real proof will be in what Bayformers does next summer. 

I think social media has changed that though. Before it would take a lot longer for WOM to spread and now a simple search on Twitter or Facebook can confirm if a movie is well liked or not. 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I think social media has changed that though. Before it would take a lot longer for WOM to spread and now a simple search on Twitter or Facebook can confirm if a movie is well liked or not. 

There's probably some truth in that. 

Let's hope that proves just as true next summer if Transformers is as bad as expected. 

Edited by wildphantom

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:
 17 seconds ago Terrific $16.7M opening wknd for moderately priced shark attack thriller . 's bankability on the rise.

Very good for a film that had its release date changed last minute. I'm guessing Sony marketed it very well to make sure people knew when it came out. Queen Blake on the rise. 

• Like 1

I hope execs take away from this summer that quality matters more and more in our social media crazed world.

If a movie sucks, doesn't take long for everyone to know about it. Used to be that OW was considered immune from negative reviews/WOM, now it seems like the word spreads quickly enough to kill even the opening.

A sequel or a reboot will still probably get more initial interest just based on audience being familiar with it, but if it sucks, that familiarity won't save it.

Basically if this leads to more emphasis on quality and less quick soulless cash grabs, I say let them bomb.

4555996.jpg

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

There's probably some truth in that. 

Let's hope that proves just as true next summer if Transformers is as bad as expected. 

Transformers will be saved from OS regardless. 

• Like 1

between the epic bombage of Alice and ID2 my summer game is definitely over.... that and the low grosses for the rest of the films I had on my top 15..... the fact that my #16 pick (Conjuring) is actually going to do what I thought ~100m is amazing.... and of course I left it off....

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Transformers will be saved from OS regardless. 

Same would have probably been said about ID:R not too long ago, though. Not sure OS can be counted on to save suck-fests as much as it once did. 

After all, being foreign doesn't impare people's ability to recognize when soemthing is aweful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Unfortunately a lot of execs are not very bright people, or even film lovers. Many of them are promoted because they do a lot of bitch work as assistants. So people who want to be in the industry because it's "cool," not necessarily because they like or even watch movies, end up in influential positions because they put up with some douchebag boss's personal bullshit for a few years. 

Sounds like the plot of a Kevin Spacey and Frank Whaley movie.

• Like 1