WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Uh, no lol.  It will come in at about 103 for the estimate.  And that's not even giving it the soft drop on Sunday like IO had.  If it does come in at 35 or higher, you can lock in 100 OW.

Yes, you are correct sir. This is why I didn't took that bet you suggested via WhatsApp :ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Dory is MUCH better than SLOP. 

That's not saying much though.  Dory was almost as shit.

I thought SLOP was pretty good. I don't understand the Looney Toons wackiness of it as something to be considered bad. It's a cartoon. I welcome the craziness that animation can provide to a movie.

On the topic of the regression/evolution of Hollywood, I did once champion animation as a legit art form, hoping a Beauty and the Beast or Wall-E could win an award, but what's frustrating is seeing animation's absolute dominance. Even the the supposed live-action movies this year were basically animation. The Jungle Book? What's really frustrating is seeing the combination of the evolution of what Hollywood is capable of mixed w/ animation taking away form it. For example, Civil War has some of the best fight-choreography and stunt-work in the history of cinema, but some of its best scenes were almost fully CGI w/ voice-acting. I feel like The Winter Soldier was the best balance, and that studio has regressed from that. Even worse is the story of the Legend of Tarzan. Here, I felt we had a movie that could really bring together the greatest elements of Hollywood and really create some magic. It was an adventure that could take us away from the familiar. For the first 2/3rds of the movie, it magically mixed everything great about cinema including the CGI, amazing set-pieces, crazy action scenes, strong acting, and set in a historical real-world premise. I was so amazed...and then the third act came and the reliance of CGI turned it into a cartoon!

Cinema has changed so much post-Shrek (and I'm putting this on Shrek more than Star Wars), so much so that the actor that will have movies making the most money this year will be Idras Elba. These are the roles that he played:

Zootopia: Cief Bogo the water buffalo chief of police

Jungle Book: Shere Khan the menacing tiger antagonist

Finding Dory: the flat fish fluke

Star Trek Beyond: Krall the alien

Cool, the dorks won, but...I don't think its so wrong to want some actual human face-to-face interaction making at least equal amount of money...

Just now, Jack Nevada said:

Yeah except The Revenant is a bad, dumb movie

Can you imagine having to be the head of a studio or someone responsible for green lighting movies?

Nobody is happy, ever.  No matter how good, successful or well reviewed anything is.  No matter how many awards, money or RT score.  There is always a segment of people just waiting for the opportunity to trash and shit on films.  Many are doing it because they actually feel that way.  Many are doing it because it sounds edgy.  

That is how it always has been though.  It is why I am never too hard on a studio.  None of them want to make a bad movie.  Many are trying to do the best they can but have to stick to formula because that is what people respond to until they don't.  It is why Jurassic World makes $1b+ but Independence Day: Resurgence makes $350m.  It is why The Revenant makes $530m and Hateful Eight makes $155m.  

• Like 13

Just now, grey ghost said:

Can SLOP beat Zootopia or Minions DOM?

I think Minions will fall and Zootopia is within reach.

• Like 2

Just now, seduh said:

i would love that number for Dory. I hope SLOP don't make over $430 as i want zootopia to remain the biggest original movie of the year

Lol, I know that's a typo, but if Pets actually made that sum, this forum would be in utter chaos by the end of August.

1 minute ago, seduh said:

i would love that number for Dory. I hope SLOP don't make over $430 as i want zootopia to remain the biggest original movie of the year

Then you better hope SLOP doesn't make 341, because that would do the trick. :)

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Did anyone predict over 100 m OW for SLOP?

Probably the biggest non-Disney box office suprise since Deadpool.

I predicted 100m OW in the derby. I looked at Fandango listings, and they looked insane.

Then I some some throwaway comment here that $100m was possible. So I made my final edit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I thought SLOP was pretty good. I don't understand the Looney Toons wackiness of it as something to be considered bad. It's a cartoon. I welcome the craziness that animation can provide to a movie.

On the topic of the regression/evolution of Hollywood, I did once champion animation as a legit art form, hoping a Beauty and the Beast or Wall-E could win an award, but what's frustrating is seeing animation's absolute dominance. Even the the supposed live-action movies this year were basically animation. The Jungle Book? What's really frustrating is seeing the combination of the evolution of what Hollywood is capable of mixed w/ animation taking away form it. For example, Civil War has some of the best fight-choreography and stunt-work in the history of cinema, but some of its best scenes were almost fully CGI w/ voice-acting. I feel like The Winter Soldier was the best balance, and that studio has regressed from that. Even worse is the story of the Legend of Tarzan. Here, I felt we had a movie that could really bring together the greatest elements of Hollywood and really create some magic. It was an adventure that could take us away from the familiar. For the first 2/3rds of the movie, it magically mixed everything great about cinema including the CGI, amazing set-pieces, crazy action scenes, strong acting, and set in a historical real-world premise. I was so amazed...and then the third act came and the reliance of CGI turned it into a cartoon!

Cinema has changed so much post-Shrek (and I'm putting this on Shrek more than Star Wars), so much so that the actor that will have movies making the most money this year will be Idras Elba. These are the roles that he played:

Zootopia: Cief Bogo the water buffalo chief of police

Jungle Book: Shere Khan the menacing tiger antagonist

Finding Dory: the flat fish fluke

Star Trek Beyond: Krall the alien

Cool, the dorks won, but...I don't think its so wrong to want some actual human face-to-face interaction making at least equal amount of money...

The biggest question is why Idris is married. With sex appeal, fame, and riches he could easily pull a DiCaprio and bang different supermodels for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

The biggest question is why Idris is married. With sex appeal, fame, and riches he could easily pull a DiCaprio and bang different supermodels for the rest of his life.

:mellow:

That would sound like such a depressing lonely life to me.

• Like 3

When I went to see Swiss Army Man tonight, the theatre was absolutely mobbed with business for Secret Life of Pets.

After all the discussion about the generic blahness of the summer movie slate, there's something hilarious about having a film about Harry Potter's farting corpse playing just a couple doors down from animated blockbusters. :lol:

• Like 8