WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Ehh it's enough of a Toy Story retread that it could count as a remake :P

Great for Illumination who financially is up there with Pixar as the animation studio to beat. Kinda shitty we can't get a breakout hit that isn't Disney or CGI (Tarzan would count at this point but holy smokes that budget!) but maybe the rest of the month can come through. 

CI counts as a breakout hit considering it's 40-50m budget but yeah nothing else much. CONJ2, PURGE3 and MBY did very well looking at their budgets.

But CI is the only 125m+ grosser which (1) did well compared to it's budget, say unlike LOT (2) is not Disney (3) is not CGI.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pets is also the biggest opening ever for a movie not based at all on pre-existing materials. Take a moment to let THAT sink in.

Universal / Illumination's aggressive marketing paid off. Even Disney / Pixar doesn't do that kind of marketing.

Can Central Intelligence be consider a win for Universal as well as WB/New Line as they're the OS distributor, granted it's not going to make as much money compared to domestic but I'm sure they're getting a nice profit from it. 

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The marketing budget was $150m+, more than twice the film budget.  It paid off.

Yeah ads were everywhere. I remember hearing from people that they got the trailer for TSLOP of pets everywhere even movies that were "kids films", which happens but to the that SLOP did. Those trailers and ads really really paid off.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The bombs of Summer 2016 so far are:

Independence Day: Resurgence, TMNT2: Out of the Shadows, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Warcraft, Popstar and The BFG.

You mean domestic bombs, right?

23 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The bombs of Summer 2016 so far are:

Independence Day: Resurgence, TMNT2: Out of the Shadows, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Warcraft, Popstar and The BFG.

IDR would not qualify as a bomb. 100-105m final dom on a 165m budget with 215m+ OS and counting is not a 'bomb'. A big disappointment surely.

PAN is a bomb. JUPITER ASCENDING is a bomb. TOMORROWLAND is a bomb.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Yeah ads were everywhere. I remember hearing from people that they got the trailer for TSLOP of pets everywhere even movies that were "kids films", which happens but to the that SLOP did. Those trailers and ads really really paid off.

Deadline says the trailer was attached to more movies than any another film.   I saw it with Civil War twice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La Binoche said:

They kinda suck. Instead of originality + good stories/characters they rely on cute characters and lazy pop culture jokes. 

Have u seen any Pixar film? They are the epitome of cute characters and saccharine laced scripts.

• Like 4

I don't understand how anyone can compare Pets to Minions in terms of potential multipliers. One is an original film while the other has a built in audience.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Deadline says the trailer was attached to more movies than any another film.   I saw it with Civil War twice.

Yup. That's pretty much aggressive marketing.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, movieboner said:

SLOP hit Dory hard this weekend. I hope SLOP drops more than 60% next weekend due to bad wom.

Insert every insane laughing GIF here.

Fat chance.

• Like 1

Opening in 18 more markets, Ice Age: Collision Course rolled to an estimated $32.2m from its 25 markets for an early $57.7m.

Brazil led the way with a $4.5m debut for the biggest opening ever for the Ice Age franchise in the market, while the animated sequel recorded the biggest Fox opening weekends in Argentina ($3.7m), Central America ($2.2m) and Colombia ($2.2m).

Mexico and Germany provided strong holdovers to add $4.2m for $16.5m and $3.9m for $9.5m, respectively. Collision Course opens in 37 markets next weekend, including the UK, Russia, Spain, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

About 600 movies are documented on BOM each year. 

Are people not finding anything in those? I live in a pretty small market and about 125-150 releases come here. 

I get it if you don't like CBMs, but it seems like the frustration is misguided. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfran43 said:

That's pretty meaningless.  The first XMen got 3mill more domestic, but its worldwide take was $296,339,527 to XA's $528,183,350.  And First Class made less domestically as well as world wide than XA with $353,624,124 WW.  Yes, studios get a lower percentage of foreign take, but over $225 M more (in the case of XMen) and over $175M more (in the case of First Class) is a far bigger deal than a loss of $3M domestic.  How very odd to phrase XA's performance in those terms.