WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

This summer on the studio level is making me feel REMARKABLY cynical. There hasn't been a single film geared towards adults that either looks halfway good or hasn't fallen flat on its face at the box office (Conjuring 2 being a sort of exception, even that declined from the original criticaly and commercially). Where are the Swiss Army Mans or Lobsters of the studio set? If I were a studio head looking at 2016 I would only want to make 4-quad family films and that's terrifying. I don't even have a problem with many of these films themselves (I'm a well spoken Zootopia fan) but we need diversity and variety in the marketplace. It can't be CGI and comic books and beat-for-beat remakes of 80s and 90s films

I really liked The Purge: Election Year.

If you like horror or thrillers it is worth checking out, it definitely isn't family friendly.

18 minutes ago, Gopher said:

This summer on the studio level is making me feel REMARKABLY cynical. There hasn't been a single film geared towards adults that either looks halfway good or hasn't fallen flat on its face at the box office (Conjuring 2 being a sort of exception, even that declined from the original criticaly and commercially). Where are the Swiss Army Mans or Lobsters of the studio set? If I were a studio head looking at 2016 I would only want to make 4-quad family films and that's terrifying. I don't even have a problem with many of these films themselves (I'm a well spoken Zootopia fan) but we need diversity and variety in the marketplace. It can't be CGI and comic books and beat-for-beat remakes of 80s and 90s films. 

You are? First I've heard this. Anyway welcome to the club.

But all of the big adult stuff always looked like it'd be coming at the end of the year. Got three war dramas, a period epic, two talky sci-fis (maybe three), and a biopic with Tom Hanks

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

You are? First I've heard this. Anyway welcome to the club.

But all of the big adult stuff always looked like it'd be coming at the end of the year. Got three war dramas, a period epic, two talky sci-fi dramas, and a biopic with Tom Hanks

Any idea whether Passengers is still coming out in Dec?

22 minutes ago, Gopher said:

This summer on the studio level is making me feel REMARKABLY cynical. There hasn't been a single film geared towards adults that either looks halfway good or hasn't fallen flat on its face at the box office (Conjuring 2 being a sort of exception, even that declined from the original criticaly and commercially). Where are the Swiss Army Mans or Lobsters of the studio set? If I were a studio head looking at 2016 I would only want to make 4-quad family films and that's terrifying. I don't even have a problem with many of these films themselves (I'm a well spoken Zootopia fan) but we need diversity and variety in the marketplace. It can't be CGI and comic books and beat-for-beat remakes of 80s and 90s films. 

I am so glad the nerds won.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Been the norm for years? Mad Maxes and Inceptions don't come around often

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Oh for sure. This is what mainstream film is now. And nothing's gonna change as long as China keeps buying that stuff. 

Today's number will be interesting.

Minions and DM2 both dropped Saturday.  Minions had a 16% Saturday drop.  My feeling is Pets will act like Minions because of the similar anticipation and marketing campaign but I'm not sure.  If it behaves like Minions then it will fall short of 100 and probably wouldn't quite reach 300.  If it doesn't drop today then 100 million and 325 might be possible.

1 hour ago, Blanks McCoy said:

The joys of MoviePass is that I only waste time, not money. The issue is finding time for both because here's my next few days

Sat - BFG

Sun - Jurassic Park

Mon - Swiss Army Man

Tues - The Purge: Election Year

Hopefully I can see The Shallows before it leaves

Would you say Movie Pass is worth it? I've been trying to look at an honest review of it but can't seem to find any. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Oh for sure. This is what mainstream film is now. And nothing's gonna change as long as China keeps buying that stuff. 

No matter how baity that shit gets we should always be thankful for Oscah season. Only reason mid-budget movies that aren't action/comedy tentpoles get funded anymore

And you still get folks complaining about how their favorite funnybook or Star Wars movie doesn't get nominated...

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

Mad max didn't release in China.inception is a big hit in China.Remake film like SW7 didn't explode in mainland.SH films never hit No.1 in China.Instead,Zootopia has  No.1 crown this year.Every country has own taste.I am sure The conjuring will be big If release in China.So pity mad max and the conjuring Can't release in China

Edited by bangbingchan

23 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Dunkirk will save us

Geared towards Tweens tho

Edited by MrPink

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

No matter how baity that shit gets we should always be thankful for Oscah season. Only reason mid-budget movies that aren't action/comedy tentpoles get funded anymore

And you still get folks complaining about how their favorite funnybook or Star Wars movie doesn't get nominated...

Yeah, I'm not even asking for Paramount to put out some avant-garde shit for the summer. Just something that, you know, would make you think or even had some kind of cinematic vision.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Nevada said:

Yeah, I'm not even asking for Paramount to put out some avant-garde for the summer. Just something that, you know, would make you think or even had some kind of cinematic vision.

Justin Lin will save us.

maxresdefault.jpg

Brad Grey needs to go though, he's running Paramount into the ground.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Would you say Movie Pass is worth it? I've been trying to look at an honest review of it but can't seem to find any. 

It depends on what you normally pay at the theaters you go to and when you normally go. If you normally do matinees, then no MP is not worth it. Also if you live outside a big city where prices are below $8 on average, then again probably not worth it. Most importantly, you can't cancel before 12 months without paying a fee (something they're VERY sneaky about advertising).

I believe the average rate most places is $35 a month for it. So that's $420 a year. If you pay on average, say $8 a movie, then you really need to be seeing near 60 movies a year or 5 movies a month to get a deal out of it. Some other issues I have with it is that the one movie a day policy is actually a one movie every 24 hours policy. As in if you see your movie at 8pm and want to go to a 7:30pm showing the next night, you're SOL. Gotta wait the FULL 24 hours. This has proved way more problematic for me then I imagined, since if I'm going to see a movie in a group where I can't necessarily dictate the time, it can be hard to end up using it if I saw a movie the day before.

Also no repeats of movies. Though there's a pretty easy cheat for that one, since you can just pick a movie you know you're not gonna see and "sneak" into the theater for the movie you want to see again (i.e. same as the teenager R rated sneak method). Finally, if you see a lot of indies mainly at local non-chain theaters, that theater probably isn't on MP and that could be the dealbreaker for you.

So yeah, just consider all those things. I'm almost done with my year's subscription and I think it was mildly worth it for me, but there were a lot more negatives than I had anticipated. 

• Like 4