grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

2 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

CinemaScore is trash. Wish we could bleep it out when anyone mentions it on here other than to dump on it.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You know it's bad when CS is probably the most accurate reflection of public opinion on a film for once. 

Yeah normally I'd agree about CS but with this movie that is true. The other results are so badly skewed from both sides.

It was also dead on with BVS.

And oh the Cinemascore just got released? Cool! That means I can feel special again.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm referring to how she looks in that damn picture at the Cafe Society premiere for basing my decision. Both Cafe Society premieres actually. Otherwise I'd agree with you. 

She looks alright here but that outfit is uhhh.....yeah I won't touch that one....Blake looks great though!

Cannes-2016.-Kristen-Stewart-a-la-conque

kristen-stewart-blake-lively-cafe-societ

• Like 2

Ghostbusters is so unlike Feig's other films that I feel like we have to discard them as bases for comparison, but I could see it being relatively leggy ("relatively" here meaning a 3.0 multiplier). The crowd I saw it with enjoyed it, and I get the feeling that most viewers who don't come in predisposed to hate it will probably have a good time.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

Actually Pets might fall below IO 2nd weekend if that 15 million number holds.  IO also had a 15 million Friday but then had a 21.2 Saturday and a 16.1 Sunday.  I don't think Pets can match that IO Saturday and Sunday hold IF Friday is 15.  I think anything above 50 weekend is pretty good,just not great.

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Was looking through box office records for comedy movies and saw that Meet the Fockers made 279M domestic. WHAT THE FOCK??? How did that movie break out that huge?

combination of good will from Meet the Parents a crappy December  of that year

Next weekend's releases:

Star Trek:

Jul 22: 60M (25M weekdays, 85M total)

Jul 29: 33M (14M weekdays, 132M total)

Aug 5: 15.5M (6.5M weekdays, 154M total)

Aug 12: 9.3M (4.1M weekdays, 167.4M total)

Aug 19: 6M (2.7M weekdays, 176.1M total)

Aug 26: 4.2M (2.2M weekdays, 182.5M total)

Sep 2: 3M (2M weekdays, 187.5M total)

Sep 9: 1.3M (700k weekdays, 189.5M total)

Final Total: 194M (3.23x)

Pretty similar total to MI5.

Ice Age:

Jul 22: 30M (14M weekdays, 44M total)

Jul 29: 15M (7M weekdays, 65M total)

Aug 5: 6.8M (3.2M weekdays, 75M total)

Aug 12: 2.7M (1.3M weekdays, 79M total)

Aug 19: 1.4M (700k weekdays, 81.1M total)

Final Total: 86M (2.87x)

A 47% drop from the last one. If it can hit 35M on OW it'll reach 100M.

Lights Out:

Jul 22: 30M (12M weekdays, 42M total)

Jul 29: 15M (6M weekdays, 63M total)

Aug 5: 6M (2.4M weekdays, 71.4M total)

Aug 12: 3M (1.2M weekdays, 75.6M total)

Aug 19: 1.5M (600k weekdays, 77.7M total)

Final Total: 82M (2.73x)

Meet the Fockers hit the perfect sweet spot of goodwill for its predecessor, perfect timing (it was the movie for teens and adults in a Christmas/New Year's that lacked such a film in the immediate aftermath of the Lord of the Rings domination), a huge year for its star (despite appearing in a flop in Envy, Ben Stiller also had hits with Along Came Polly and Dodgeball), fitting escalation of stakes from its predecessor (the first film had uptight parents, while the sequel had Hoffman and Streisand in full-on comedic bohemian mode), and plain dumb luck. It was such a perfect storm of circumstances that it's no surprise that the next sequel couldn't hold a candle to its box office success. (Speaking of: holy moley, Little Fockers was awful.)