grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

Just now, Blanks McCoy said:

Trapped in the Closet is a real masterpiece:

Then I said, "Baby, we must slow down before I bust a vessel in my brain!"

And she said, "Please, no, don't stop!"
And I said, "I caught a cramp!"
And she said, "Please keep on going"
I said, "My leg is about to crack!"
Then she cries out, "Oh my goodness, I'm about to climax!"
And I said "Cool, climax, just let go of my leg!"

Beauty

I thought that was about Tom Cruise 

Also, I can't wait until dumbass parents bring their kids to see Sasauge Party 

Feig-McCarthy collaborations have been pretty leggy. Legs like "The Heat" would bring in a domestic cume of 195M or so. That is clearly not the most likely outcome, but the movie could have strong legs and get a cume that looks okay as a topline number. A major issue is the budget and the overseas reception.

1 minute ago, superweirdo87 said:

Feig-McCarthy collaborations have been pretty leggy. Legs like "The Heat" would bring in a domestic cume of 195M or so. That is clearly not the most likely outcome, but the movie could have strong legs and get a cume that looks okay as a topline number. A major issue is the budget and the overseas reception.

I wouldn't rule out a $150M total. The Ghostbros really tampered comparing this to other brandbased titles.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Traditional animation is artistically & visually  limited, CGI movies have more depth, more complexity, a bigger color palette, astounding visual precision, incredible action, animation  and perspectives.

Characters look more alive, landscapes have no limitations, you can have giant crowds etc the only limit is your imagination.

There is a reason traditional animation died a very quick death with not a lot of people crying over it.

It was just a limited art form surpassed by a new,more complex & advanced film language with endless possibilities that is still evolving year after year.

Myazaki fans are either precious western cinephiles who think they see a delicate flower when they see a Ghibli film  or japanese citizens who actually truly understand the soul of Ghibli films because they are so imbued with the Japanese culture which is very peculiar.

So western cinephiles (the delicate flowers lovers) are in love with Ghibli because it s so different and exotic to them, it makes them feel special to be the only one in their entourage to "get" Ghibli movies ( it reinforces their superiority complex as the masters race of movie goers, Pixar & Disney are basic to them for the most part), which they really don't for the reason stated above.

The harsh reality is that outside of Japan, not a lot people really gives a crap about Ghibli and traditional animation anymore.

Renderman has won, sorry guys.

tumblr_lv87seSoBi1r6wo70o1_500.gif

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Blanks McCoy said:

Trapped in the Closet is a real masterpiece:

Then I said, "Baby, we must slow down before I bust a vessel in my brain!"

And she said, "Please, no, don't stop!"
And I said, "I caught a cramp!"
And she said, "Please keep on going"
I said, "My leg is about to crack!"
Then she cries out, "Oh my goodness, I'm about to climax!"
And I said "Cool, climax, just let go of my leg!"

Beauty

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wouldn't rule out a $150M total. The Ghostbros really tampered comparing this to other brandbased titles.

That figure would be higher than its budget. A WSJ analysis found that a studio gets ~$1.53 for every dollar in box office gross in North America because of ancillary markets. That might be higher than what would materialize now with sharp declines in Blu-Ray and DVD sales. But, 275M and foreign might not be too bad. Deadline's consultations with film finance pros lead them to estimate that the total costs would be 328.4M. Like 150 in overseas markets is at least 60M and then TV and home video from foreign markets could get it across the breakeven mark eventually.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

That figure would be higher than its budget. A WSJ analysis found that a studio gets ~$1.53 for every dollar in box office gross in North America because of ancillary markets. That might be higher than what would materialize now with sharp declines in Blu-Ray and DVD sales. But, 275M and foreign might not be too bad. Deadline's consultations with film finance pros lead them to estimate that the total costs would be 328.4M. Like 150 in overseas markets is at least 60M and then TV and home video from foreign markets could get it across the breakeven mark eventually.

It's honestly the most fun I've had at the movies this summer. I am all in favor in it going all the way to reach profitability.

• Like 1

Reading some diverse things about Ghostbusters online right now, fans of the first 2 for the most part seem rather disappointed.

(Someone did mention that a theater was nearly empty tonight, but it was followed by that there was a Summer in the Park in the city they are in so that would probably explain why)

Nice to see Dory is doing good, want to see Pets still.

On another note-I was looking over the studios this year-and unless if I missed something, I don't think Fox has had a single bomb so far this year!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Critics may be mixed, but audiences generally seem to be enjoying it if the anecdotal evidence is any indication.

The Audience Score has already risen by 10 points from the initial onslaught of trolls.

Now stands at 54%/3.0 and has been slowly but surely rising (it was initially around 42/43 2.5 right out of the gate).  Might eventually end up in the low 60s range which wouldn't even be that bad if there weren't a bunch of bogus ratings.

59 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Traditional animation is artistically & visually  limited, CGI movies have more depth, more complexity, a bigger color palette, astounding visual precision, incredible action, animation  and perspectives.

Characters look more alive, landscapes have no limitations, you can have giant crowds etc the only limit is your imagination.

This doesn't seem to be a popular opinion around here, but it is how friends/family that I've asked feel about it as well. Purely anecdotal I know, but I suspect they're a better reflection of GA.

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

So hyped for the MadTv revival on The CW. Hope it doesn't disappoint. That reminds me how nice it is to see Michael McDonald in small roles in McCarthy movies. His character in Ghostbusters got a big laugh at my showings. 

• Like 1

Girlbusters is a colossal failure any way you look at it. This was one of the greatest brand names in movies, a visible franchise that has never stopped producing tie-in comic books and merchandise, one of the dormant properties with the biggest nostalgia and built-in fanbase based on an original movie that has proved timeless in its content if not in all of its effects. Just like Indiana Jones, knock-offs of the basic premise have been produced and been successful for years while the franchise remained dormant. Ghostbusters outgrossed Temple of Doom in 1984 and had an almost equal opening week to Last Crusade in 1989. Arguably, Ghostbusters had retained an even more enthusiastic fanbase than Indiana Jones with more cosplay action and a wider array of successful merchandise for many years up to the point of the new movie's release. If Sony had produced a proper sequel that respected the vast, rich 30-year legacy of the Ghostbusters universe, the way that was done for Star Wars and in an even more apt comparison Indiana Jones, the movie would have had a massive opening similar to Crystal Skull.

What we're seeing with the box office performance is flat-lining interest from the actual fans who should've been the built-in audience that gets satisfied first before an attempt to expand on the audience was made. The Thursday preview numbers, especially from premium format screens, were atrocious and paled in comparison to the advance sales we're seeing for Star Trek and Suicide Squad, films making every attempt to satisfy their fanbase first. Those are the screenings that the fans would've filled up under normal circumstances. Instead Sony said, screw the Ghostbusters fans, and is trying to cobble together an audience from the most casual moviegoers, resulting in a deeply depressed box office performance compared to the guaranteed potential that was there. When you take what may be the biggest comedy franchise of all time, with a huge curiosity factor as to where the story could have gone in a sequel, and can only muster up a box office performance on par with the last no-name Paul Feig comedy, you are doing everything all wrong.

For the supporters of the cinematic abortion Girlbusters to be spinning a chance for it to maybe, possibly break even in the long, long run as some kind of success is simply preposterous. This is as much of a wrongheaded reboot and a box office disappointment as Superman Returns was. There is only one way for Sony to redeem the franchise and that is to do what WB did with Superman Returns, pretend it never happened and do something different and more respectful to the original film next time. Superman is not supposed to be an absentee father with a bastard Superkid and the Ghostbusters are not supposed to be 4 women. There are basic lines you don't cross with a property if you want to avoid destroying the essence of what made its characters likable and popular in the first place.

4 minutes ago, JediJones said:

Girlbusters is a colossal failure any way you look at it. This was one of the greatest brand names in movies, a visible franchise that has never stopped producing tie-in comic books and merchandise, one of the dormant properties with the biggest nostalgia and built-in fanbase based on an original movie that has proved timeless in its content if not in all of its effects. Just like Indiana Jones, knock-offs of the basic premise have been produced and been successful for years while the franchise remained dormant. Ghostbusters outgrossed Temple of Doom in 1984 and had an almost equal opening week to Last Crusade in 1989. Arguably, Ghostbusters had retained an even more enthusiastic fanbase than Indiana Jones with more cosplay action and a wider array of successful merchandise for many years up to the point of the new movie's release. If Sony had produced a proper sequel that respected the vast, rich 30-year legacy of the Ghostbusters universe, the way that was done for Star Wars and in an even more apt comparison Indiana Jones, the movie would have had a massive opening similar to Crystal Skull.

What we're seeing with the box office performance is flat-lining interest from the actual fans who should've been the built-in audience that gets satisfied first before an attempt to expand on the audience was made. The Thursday preview numbers, especially from premium format screens, were atrocious and paled in comparison to the advance sales we're seeing for Star Trek and Suicide Squad, films making every attempt to satisfy their fanbase first. Those are the screenings that the fans would've filled up under normal circumstances. Instead Sony said, screw the Ghostbusters fans, and is trying to cobble together an audience from the most casual moviegoers, resulting in a deeply depressed box office performance compared to the guaranteed potential that was there. When you take what may be the biggest comedy franchise of all time, with a huge curiosity factor as to where the story could have gone in a sequel, and can only muster up a box office performance on par with the last no-name Paul Feig comedy, you are doing everything all wrong.

For the supporters of the cinematic abortion Girlbusters to be spinning a chance for it to maybe, possibly break even in the long, long run as some kind of success is simply preposterous. This is as much of a wrongheaded reboot and a box office disappointment as Superman Returns was. There is only one way for Sony to redeem the franchise and that is to do what WB did with Superman Returns, pretend it never happened and do something different and more respectful to the original film next time. Superman is not supposed to be an absentee father with a bastard Superkid and the Ghostbusters are not supposed to be 4 women. There are basic lines you don't cross with a property if you want to avoid destroying the essence of what made its characters likable and popular in the first place.

tl;dr. Girl bye.