grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

12 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Good. 500M is still a prestigious club and Dory wasn't deserving enough. Beating Shrek 2 for the domestic animation crown is more than enough.

I hope you don't mind if I say that 600M is a super prestigious club that The Dark Knight isn't deserving enough, it's only reserved for the likes of The Avengers and Jurassic World. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, movieboner said:

Congratz on Dory achieving the domestic animated record. $500 million domestic is hard to achieve for an animated film which is equivalent to a $700 million gross for a live action film.

That makes no sense

• Like 2

I was telling my sister about the dream I had last night scared the crap out of me. So I was like in bed and the ghost of my grandfather who died last month came in and sat in the chair next to my bed, but started asked really weird questions like "where do you live, what are you afraid of" etc. 

Eventually I was like "okay man it's like 3AM I gotta go to sleep and I lay down and closed my eyes. Then suddenly his voice changed into this raspy demonic thing and was right next to my ear and said "are you sure you know who you're talking to?"

I woke up and didn't go back to sleep. I mean I may have, I just don't remember sleeping after that.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I was telling my sister about the dream I had last night scared the crap out of me. So I was like in bed and the ghost of my grandfather who died last month came in and sat in the chair next to my bed, but started asked really weird questions like "where do you live, what are you afraid of" etc. 

Eventually I was like "okay man it's like 3AM I gotta go to sleep and I lay down and closed my eyes. Then suddenly his voice changed into this raspy demonic thing and was right next to my ear and said "are you sure you know who you're talking to?"

I woke up and didn't go back to sleep. I mean I may have, I just don't remember sleeping after that.

Sounds like a cool setup for a movie. A demon which disguises itself as your close departed relatives, and finds out secrets about you in conversations and uses that information to scare the beejesus out of you (or to phish your info and hack your bank accounts :P )

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You should write a script based on this and sell it to Blumhouse or something.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

GI Joe:Rise of Cobra is playing on TV. Whatever happened to Sienna Miller? I remember her being touted as the "next big thing" when the movie was coming out.

She's stuck doing supporting roles in Bradley Cooper movies

Yeah, to Tarzan crossing $100m!!

I saw SLOP today and there was a good crowd. I really enjoyed it. Not sure it's a film that stays funny on multiple rewatches but that is yet to be determined. My wife was the first to catch the shameless plug for SING in the films final act. Well played Imagination Ent, well played!

Tracking Pets against IO is gonna be interesting. I don't expect it to surpass any more of IO's dailies but it could stay in the picture long enough to keep its 18m lead. 

Jury's out on GB. The +18% Saturday bump and the fact that it skewed female and under-25 leads me to believe weekdays and WOM will be good. Males/over 25 are going to fuel Trek and Bourne so this is probably the best demo Sony could've hit. If it plays like Ant-Man from here it'll make 140m which is fine, I hope it can do better. I have a feeling its day-to-day performance will be HIGHLY micromanaged. 

Dory's kind of winding down quicker than I thought after its stunning first few weeks. Ice Age is going to take a lot of its screens so it should take another -45% hit next weekend. It shouldn't have a problem overtaking Star Wars for #7 on the unadjusted chart, though. It'll enter the top 10 on Tuesday.

Tarzan's been a rock-solid mid-tier performer. Should hit 130m which is a nice multiplier. The Purge has been too and legs have been better for each installment of the franchise, which is great.

I think studios are gonna look more at legs this summer than any summer. The Central Intelligences, Shallows', and animated films will continue to get the most prominent summer weekends. 

• Like 3

Yeah, The Legend of Tarzan is probably the biggest surprise of the summer. Had the budget not been so astronomical and the reviews been good instead of mediocre, this might have been a promising start to a potential franchise instead of a lucky one-off.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, The Legend of Tarzan is probably the biggest surprise of the summer. Had the budget not been so astronomical and the reviews been good instead of mediocre, this might have been a promising start to a potential franchise instead of a lucky one-off.

The reviews are phenomenal.

Spoiler

For Skarsgard's physique.

• Like 6

Pets 18 million lead on IO is going to disappear fast!!!!

Its going to lose 1-2 million a day, every day, for the next 2 weeks.  

45% drops everyday for Pets would have it at 287 to IO's 285 and then IO will destroy it from then on.  50% drops would have IO already ahead in 2 weeks.

We saw it a few days ago.

Best in the beginning and very end.  Certainly not terrible but Illuminations is REALLY going to have to be careful with these giant marketing budgets and trailers showing every decent scene in the movie.  They are generating huge excitement with Minions and now Pets but the quality isn't matching the hype.  They aren't terrible, but very mediocre since they're very first offering.

People will stop falling for the big marketing and hype!!!

Sing better be very good!!!

Edited by Planodisney

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Tell the world something they don't know already.

He has a scene with Margot Robbie where he makes mating calls and proceeds to have sex. A+ stuff.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Pets 18 million lead on IO is going to disappear fast!!!!

Its going to lose 1-2 million a day, every day, for the next 2 weeks.

Just curious but do you only post doom and gloom stuff about Pets? Every post of yours seems to be about Pets misfiring in some way.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Just curious but do you only post doom and gloom stuff about Pets? Every post of yours seems to be about Pets misfiring in some way.

He's trying to warn us that the pets will soon revolt.