baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

It is a massive ton of fun. My crowd was laughing so hard I couldn't even hear some of the dialogue. A fantastic time at the movies. 

Of course the crowd ate it up. It's Portugal. 

By the way, I don't know if anyone else got this, but before my showing of Star Trek last night, there was a video from Simon Pegg on the set of the movie telling the audience "thank you for coming to support us, the cast and the crew, and for supporting the movie theater." They really want to combat the piracy problem, don't they?

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

By the way, I don't know if anyone else got this, but before my showing of Star Trek last night, there was a video from Simon Pegg on the set of the movie telling the audience "thank you for coming to support us, the cast and the crew, and for supporting the movie theater." They really want to combat the piracy problem, don't they?

I've been getting that all year. There's a Ricky Gervais one too.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I got it too. Got one similar at X-Men and Jungle Book earlier this year

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah I got that.

Similar to Alexandra Shipp for X-Men Apocalypse. It's all pandering to the crowd that already supports films though.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have seen that with most movies this year. The stars or the director thank us for coming to the theater.

I see we had a propaganda film playing at my local theater. It makes me mad my local Regal always seems to get these crappy propaganda films or terrible church films yet we can't get a single independent film or a smaller film. If we do, its once in a blue moon. 

Edited by MovieGuyKyle17

ANT-MAN,

6.4 + 16.25 + 19.46 (19.75%) + 15.11 (-22.4%) = 57.22

STB with that pattern,

5.5 + 17.00 + 20.35 + 15.80 = 58.65

One might think that ANT-MAN is an original film and STB is a sequel and do worse. However, STB has a better OD to Previews ratio (3.1x) than ANT-MAN (2.54x) because Marvel's fan-base front-loads original films too. So STB can very well match ANT-MAN's Sat and Sun % holds despite being a sequel.

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I got one of these ahead of both X-Men and dory 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I'd say he succeeded. Heck, he made the best blockbuster, and one of the best films period of 2009.

I agree.  I'm not a Star Trek fan, per se.  I've watched episodes here and there, but not by design.   But I really really like the 2009 movie.  I like SID, but not quite as much.  (I own them both, but I rewatch the first one.)  I am really looking forward to seeing this one!

I was going to see it today, but caught some airport plague and I don't want to be 'that person' in the theater, so I'm sulking at home while my friends see it.  I'll see it as soon as I decently can, though.

Edited by trifle

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I haven't seen anything like this recently in the UK.

It's 2016 everyone, even with a potential profit from the budget cut & international gross... $60m (& likely less) OW is not good I'm sorry (it may not be "bad" but I'm arguing it's alright). I-Robot, The Village opened to $52/$50m in 2004, it's always my favorite mid-late July comparable(s).