baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

If Lights Out is as successful as I think it will be, this will end up being a true renaissance for horror in the mainstream consciousness. Which even though I'm not a huge horror fan I still think is great news for an industry that needs more diversity if it comes to moneymaking genres other than CBM's and talking animals.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Bourne is back so people will show up.  Doesn't matter how shitty the campaign is.

People see the commercials and they're just like

bourne17.png?w=490

And they're sold.

• Like 13

I'm all for a good for a horror Renaissance as well but as much of a fan of the genre that I am I'm really getting tired of these weak ass PG-13 horror movies that have zero kills in them. I need another Saw Or Another Friday the 13th or some kind of slasher film where people died horribly. You can take all the found footage movies like Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project and so on and so on and they're good movies and they are spooky and they're scary but there's no kills whatsoever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm all for a good for a horror Renaissance as well but as much of a fan of the genre that I am I'm really getting tired of these weak ass PG-13 horror movies that have zero kills in them. I need another Saw Or Another Friday the 13th or some kind of slasher film where people died horribly. You can take all the found footage movies like Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project and so on and so on and they're good movies and they are spooky and they're scary but there's no kills whatsoever.

yeah I need a combo of both kinds of movies.  Not necessarily in the same movie, but I like suspense and thrillers AND I like slashers.  It doesn't have to be a plethora of one and none of the other.  I want variety dammit :P 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ThatOneTrek said:

Bourne is back so people will show up.  Doesn't matter how shitty the campaign is.

Eh... Bourne was never all that huge to begin with, it's a solid franchise that has depended on quality entries to tell more of the story.  Ultimatum was a nice conclusion, and this is just going further because there was room to.

It'll likely do decent numbers, but it'll be lucky if it can even outdo Legacy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Eh... Bourne was never all that huge to begin with, it's a solid franchise that has depended on quality entries to tell more of the story.  Ultimatum was a nice conclusion, and this is just going further because there was room to.

It'll likely do decent numbers, but it'll be lucky if it can even outdo Legacy.

The sad thing is Universal could have had an easy 200M grosser on their hands if it had even a decent campaign. Paramount was able to turn MI5's marketing around and it was very hyped a week from release, the same excitement isn't there for Bourne.

• Like 1

I hope Star Trek Beyond and Lights Out both do great business, since I'm cool w/the JJ Star Treks and I'm always fond of the existence of good horror movies (especially one steeming from a badass short like the OG Lights Out). And I also need more sexy legs for the future :ph34r:

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I hope Star Trek Beyond and Lights Out both do great business, since I'm cool w/the JJ Star Treks and I'm always fond of the existence of good horror movies (especially one steeming from a badass short like the OG Lights Out). And I also need more sexy legs for the future :ph34r:

Star Trek always has sexy legs (well not Nemesis :ph34r: )

Edited by WrathOfHan

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The sad thing is Universal could have had an easy 200M grosser on their hands if it had even a decent campaign. Paramount was able to turn MI5's marketing around and it was very hyped a week from release, the same excitement isn't there for Bourne.

I still think Jason Bourne will do M:I 5 number. Under Supremacy is probably my disappointment threshold.

What was the most Jason Bourne was ever going to make anyway? Mission: Impossible 5 numbers? It's been almost a decade since the last Damon entry and the Jeremy Renner movie in the interim probably took some of the wind out of the Bourne brand.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

What was the most Jason Bourne was ever going to make anyway? Mission: Impossible 5 numbers? It's been almost a decade since the last Damon entry and the Jeremy Renner movie in the interim probably took some of the wind out of the Bourne brand.

With proper marketing it could have went as high as 250M IMO

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Neo was convinced it was going to do 300M+ lol

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

With proper marketing it could have went as high as 250M IMO

Define "proper marketing" though. The whole hook to this movie is Damon being back in the role. I love the Jason Bourne movies but they're not something you can really mine much nostalgia from. Wouldn't be surprised if a portion of the audience has just moved on.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Define "proper marketing" though. The whole hook to this movie is Damon being back in the role. I love the Jason Bourne movies but they're not something you can really mine much nostalgia from. Wouldn't be surprised if a portion of the audience has just moved on.

Marketing that's more than one trailer and a Super Bowl spot.

• Like 2