baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But if they are not expecting/hoping for a bigger gross why are they still making these films for close to 200 million dollars?  Surely grossing 400 million on a 190 million budget isn't hat they are hoping for.

I think the biggest hope they have had since they restarted the franchise wasn't s much the US audience, but was growing the overseas audience which outside off a few places was utterly dismal, a huge, huge area they can improve, and both of those films dramatically improved overseas, even when factoring in 3D, Imax, ect.

6 minutes ago, MrPink said:

The avatar. Soon.

I just love the vacant expression, as if he realized he'd completely forgotten how he was supposed to deliver the line so he has to come up with a tone on the spot

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I just love the vacant expression, as if he realized he'd completely forgotten how he was supposed to deliver the line so he has to come up with a tone on the spot

It's like the eyes are just dead and the rest of his face is being super intense.

• Like 3

I just hope it gets over 60m OW. That gotta be the target. Then with slightly better legs it can reach the last one's numbers.

Shame exchange rate sucks right now, I wonder what it will do OS, I have no idea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There is an endless number of captions one could come up with for this picture.

Is it just me or are his eyes looking in different directions?

Saw Ice Age tonight, 5:30 IMAX/3D showing (the normally showings were all at bad times). Was about as "good" as you'd expect. Got there 10 minutes early and the place was empty. But by the time the trailers finished I looked back and was surprised that it was 1/3 to 1/2 full. The writing was wretched but they did a surprisingly good job with the 3D.

Edited by Wrath

I'm sorry to say I went to the 7:10 show and my screening was less than a quarter full. :( I think the 11:00 AM Tarzan saturday morning showing I went to was more crowded.

45 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I just hope it gets over 60m OW. That gotta be the target. Then with slightly better legs it can reach the last one's numbers.

Shame exchange rate sucks right now, I wonder what it will do OS, I have no idea.

STiD grow alot from ST09, (87% increase) but they were not big overseas markets. but considering the expansion of the international market and the jump between films I'm guessing (and Hoping) Beyond will probably be the biggest Trek yet internationally. so if STiD did $238m. an increase in proportion to ST09 would be $445m. which is probably way to high, unless it blows up in China. I'm guessing somewhere from $250-$300m. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baumer said:

But if they are not expecting/hoping for a bigger gross why are they still making these films for close to 200 million dollars?  Surely grossing 400 million on a 190 million budget isn't hat they are hoping for.

I was referring more to our expectations as a board. I am sure Paramount has looked at it as a high growth potential for OS but domestic is done. ST09 hit the peaks of the franchise from 1979 it can't get much bigger than that. And one could argue that OS doesn't have tons of room to grow either outside of China. I mean STID already hit the >50% mark in OS grosses, a first for the series (when compared with a normal <35%). 

The only reason I see Paramount spending 180m+ is that it keeps the franchise alive with fresh product which in turn fuels sales of merchandise and other paraphernalia. 

• Like 1