baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Fandango has no qualms about comparing presales to movies released 2-3 years ago so I don't see why they wouldn't compare beyond with into darkness unless it's not outselling it. In my opinion that's a pretty bad sign, but I hope I'm wrong.

So the later show at my theatre was a bit slower than expected. Beyond did our equivalent of 5.2M for previews tonight, which is in the range (albeit the low end) of where I think it'll end up. Gonna guess anywhere from 5.2-6M.

Edited by DAJK

36 minutes ago, IMojammer said:

Fandango has no qualms about comparing presales to movies released 2-3 years ago so I don't see why they wouldn't compare beyond with into darkness unless it's not outselling it. In my opinion that's a pretty bad sign, but I hope I'm wrong.

They already did, and it was performing stronger then Into darkness at the same point int time.

Edited by Newbie

3 hours ago, Kalo said:

STiD grow alot from ST09, (87% increase) but they were not big overseas markets. but considering the expansion of the international market and the jump between films I'm guessing (and Hoping) Beyond will probably be the biggest Trek yet internationally. so if STiD did $238m. an increase in proportion to ST09 would be $445m. which is probably way to high, unless it blows up in China. I'm guessing somewhere from $250-$300m. 

And Star Trek 2009 did much, much better then all but one Star Trek overseas adjusted for inflation, by american dollars (I know not really the best way to try and figure it out, but whatever).  But with the exception of The Motion Picture TOS films did almost nothing overseas.  I mean Khan did less then 18 million overseas.  Search for Spock less then 12 million.  There is a huge, huge areas overseas for trek to grow (not assaying it will), but it is very underdeveloped property compared to how it performs in the US.  Of course the dollar exchange rate is really a factor currently.  The Motion Pictures 56 or so million probably adjust higher then trek 2009 128, but nothing else was even close.

i do expect it to sell more overseas then the Into Darkness but thanks to the exchange rate, i don't know if it will be enough to pass the dollars earned, it will be interesting to watch.  And the relative strength of the dollar issn't anything producers can plan for.  I do hope most territories will releasee admission data for comparisons, I know some do, but not all (the last time i paid any attention).

54 minutes ago, DAJK said:

So the later show at my theatre was a bit slower than expected. Beyond did our equivalent of 5.2M for previews tonight, which is in the range (albeit the low end) of where I think it'll end up. Gonna guess anywhere from 5.2-6M.

I wonder why people thought previews would be strong.  The last one did 2 million, the one before that did 4 million.  Trek's audience is older (has been on TV since Voyager started, TNG and DS9 didn't release much demo info so hard to judge those).  But hardly surprising ass its a series that still has many fans from literally the late's 60's and 70'r to current.

If I remember right two films also performed kinda of odd in that they typically had poor friday bumps, and held stronger during the week days, which I seem to recall is also a pattern for shows with an older audience. 

As long as the run doesn't pull a final Frontier or Nemesis i am fine with it (both financial and critically0.  i would like to see it perform at the very least at the first contact level (and stay in top five for my personal opinion, again since most of Trek films aren't that good, top 5 really is barely OK in my book for Trek).

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

I wonder why people thought previews would be strong.  The last one did 2 million, the one before that did 4 million.  Trek's audience is older (has been on TV since Voyager started, TNG and DS9 didn't release much demo info so hard to judge those).  But hardly surprising ass its a series that still has many fans from literally the late's 60's and 70'r to current.

If I remember right two films also performed kinda of odd in that they typically had poor friday bumps, and held stronger during the week days, which I seem to recall is also a pattern for shows with an older audience. 

As long as the run doesn't pull a final Frontier or Nemesis i am fine with it (both financial and critically0.  i would like to see it perform at the very least at the first contact level (and stay in top five for my personal opinion, again since most of Trek films aren't that good, top 5 really is barely OK in my book for Trek).

The preview numbers were reported and counted different

ST09 did $7m in previews as we count them today.   $4m from Thur early previews (7,400 screens at 3,849 sites) but another $3m from midnights which were then separated into Friday's OD (BOM).

STID  did $3.25m.  $2M 8pm shows at 336 IMAX locations with 1.25M midnights.  It had a last minute date change so that previews were on Wed

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The preview numbers were reported and counted different

ST09 did $7m in previews as we count them today.   $4m from Thur early previews (7,400 screens at 3,849 sites) but another $3m from midnights which were then separated into Friday's OD (BOM).

STID  did $3.25m.  $2M 8pm shows at 336 IMAX locations with 1.25M midnights.  It had a last minute date change so that previews were on Wed

Like I said its 4 million in 2008 and 2 million  from into darkness.  Both started with 7pm shows.  

Now if if we got midnight snack anymore, I would have included those but we don't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

But if they are not expecting/hoping for a bigger gross why are they still making these films for close to 200 million dollars?  Surely grossing 400 million on a 190 million budget isn't hat they are hoping for.

I think there are 3 factors that Paramount considers with Star Trek.

1) Most Studios are killing themselves to find properties they can churn multiple movies out of.  This is an existing franchise they have rights to and there aren't many franchises that carry a core audience over a dozen movies the way Star Trek does.  It isn't a blockbuster franchise like Marvel or Star Wars but it's not a bad "B" Franchise to have.

2) Overseas grew considerably from the first movie to the second (ST09 to STID).  I'm sure the studio execs are hoping to continue this trend and expand the brand overseas.  I think the lighthearted nature and action is specifically targeted to attract foreign audiences.

3) Star Trek is one of the few franchises where ancillary revenue from merchandising can be a legitimate revenue stream.  In addition, hard core Star Trek fans are notorious for buying even high priced special edition DVDs and Blue Rays of their beloved franchise.  So the revenue outside of theaters should be a bit higher than with your typical Hollywood fare.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Like I said its 4 million in 2008 and 2 million  from into darkness.  Both started with 7pm shows.  

Now if if we got midnight snack anymore, I would have included those but we don't.

When preview numbers come in from last night they will include midnight, 1am, 2am and 3am shows as well as 7pm , 8pm, 10 pm like every other movie now does and they won't separate the numbers out for IMAX either.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Star Trek might not hold up that well because Bourne 5 which is targeting the exact same audience is just a week away. With a 60m debut, 160-170m is the target for Trek IMO.

Strange scheduling considering June and August could have fit one of the other easily and given them some more room. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When preview numbers come in from last night they will include midnight, 1am, 2am and 3am shows as well as 7pm , 8pm, 10 pm like every other movie now does and they won't separate the numbers out for IMAX either.

i didn't think they really did mass midnight showings and after anymore?  My area completely stopped having any scheduled ones after the shooting they have had rare events like TFA where they didn't have it schedule but added the showings that night for some midnights, and some rare event where someone has rated out a facility.  i just assumed those showings were not in play or extremely limited.  

and why would they separate out IMAX numbers?  Where Trek's first two films did surprisingly well.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1