baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Bourne was never some pop culture sensation. Sure, the franchise made money, but it wasn't some durable or iconic franchise with a great brand name. I feel zilch buzz on that one, honestly. I'm thinking it might do under 150m, especially since The Guardian hinted it was a drop in quality. 

• Like 1

If Ice Age does sub-$25M this weekend I would definitely pin it on the godawful reviews. Audiences are becoming increasingly fickle about parting with their cash (just notice how top heavy this year is), and a sub-20% score these days is enough to set off alarms as a sign of "this isn't worth it".

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

Explosive debut for #Rajinikanth film #Kabali in NorthAmerica w/ $1.9M for THU shows from only 220+ thtrs for superstar 1day avg of $8k+.

Holy $#%^*!!!!!

Holy shit, I thought it would hit 3-4M after those presales but nearly 2M from previews alone? :ohmygod: 

1 minute ago, superweirdo87 said:

I don't know if audiences are more fickle about parting with their cash or a lot of people only show up when there's an "event."

Considering the prices of movies these days, I imagine plenty of people become apprehensive when the movie in question seems dubious at best.

4 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

I don't know if audiences are more fickle about parting with their cash or a lot of people only show up when there's an "event."

Today I learned that The Secret Life of Pets is an event movie.

Absolutely. But I don't think that is the only or main reason that the year is so top heavy. It seems like a lot of consumers only show up for bigness and urgency, the event stuff, as Hollywood sort of left storytelling to TV and huge flat screen TVs became the norm in a lot of households.

Edited by superweirdo87