MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the box office would have been worse if GB did not have all that controversy

i kind of fall in this line of thinking too, and that's coming from someone who was a supporter of the film.  Everyone keeps saying it's not gonna hit 150 or 200 or 250 over the past few weeks but I'm very hesitant to say that if there wasn't a crowd who felt like there was something to prove (either for or against the justification for it) it could have opened to between 25/30 and puttered to a 75 million finish.  I think the controversy in the end helped it was just always a tough sell and in the end a mediocre product.

44 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

i kind of fall in this line of thinking too, and that's coming from someone who was a supporter of the film.  Everyone keeps saying it's not gonna hit 150 or 200 or 250 over the past few weeks but I'm very hesitant to say that if there wasn't a crowd who felt like there was something to prove (either for or against the justification for it) it could have opened to between 25/30 and puttered to a 75 million finish.  I think the controversy in the end helped it was just always a tough sell and in the end a mediocre product.

That's true. At the same time, I can't help but wonder, sure they wanted to play up the "You're sexist if you don't support this" angle, but what if they had put solid material for the trailers and TV spots?

On the flip side of that, since the marketing put out lower quality material, expectations were lower and thus end reception was better because it had exceeded those low expectations.

In the end, I was right. I said if the movie got positive reviews, misogynists would accuse critics of being soft or having an agenda and if they were negative, feminazis would accuse them of being misogynist. A good amount of reviews that outright praised it prefaced their reviews with the "screw the haters, women are funny" statement, demonstrating a similar condescending mindset toward the haters as the studio and filmmakers. And the number of 3/5's or 6/10 reviews were quite substantial which felt like walking on eggshells.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Since I don't have a ride to go see Jason Bourne again and I need my Matt Damon fix I'm gonna watch The Martian for the first time since opening night.

Walk. Isn't that what all the cool kids are doing these days. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grey ghost said:

4 out 6 of Denzel's last 6 movies crossed 100 m if you adjust for inflation.

Good luck finding another actor/actress with a better track record carrying movies past the century mark.

Adjusted for inflation. I'm not saying it's not impressive that he always gets 75mil or thereabouts, but inflated numbers are problematic for reasons we've all discussed ad nauseum. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am dying for some Saturday numbers and we probably still need to wait 4-5 hours until Rth drops some numbers :sadben: 

Me too. I'm hoping Bad Moms held well. WOM is very strong among social media and Flixster (went from 71% to 77%)

Heading to my evening shift in an hour an a half. During the early part of the matinee we got a phone call from some older guy (his voice didn't sound young) asking about Nine Lives.

"I wasn't sure if to check online or just to phone, I'm not sure how this works since haven't been to a movie theatre since the 90's, but this movie looks incredible and I'm wondering if it is going to play here."

That's it. Suicide Squad is doomed.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Heading to my evening shift in an hour an a half. During the early part of the matinee we got a phone call from some older guy (his voice didn't sound young) asking about Nine Lives.

"I wasn't sure if to check online or just to phone, I'm not sure how this works since haven't been to a movie theatre since the 90's, but this movie looks incredible and I'm wondering if it is going to play here."

That's it. Suicide Squad is doomed.

You didn't tell me that was you on the phone!

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the box office would have been worse if GB did not have all that controversy

I'd say Terminator Genitals domestic numbers without the controversy.  Both movies had laughably bad trailers and both were hated or ignored by most of its fanbase.

Edited by Ozymandias

46 minutes ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

You didn't tell me that was you on the phone!

NuTella, I see you are already getting those Nine Lives tickets to go with your son!