CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Honestly if this is looking at $60-65M for Friday I don't see how it can't be considered front loaded especially with that free ticket thing. Its preview numbers would be 30-35% of its Friday number. 

Also its viewer score is where BvS was. I don't think this is going to get the type of WOM that has it explode on Saturday and Sunday. 

Still keeping my prediction in check. I won't get carried away. 

Edited by Nova

13 minutes ago, mredman said:

i really don't understand the criticism of Snyder's Cavill Superman. I mean we are in a total different times. The cookey cutter would not work right away we see him and it shouldn't. Kal is a freakin Alien on earth of course he should feel alone and not at home on earth and of course people would question him. "people fear what they don't understand" its such a powerful line from Martha in BvS because its so true. I never ever seen so much deepness in a Marvel movie. Never. And its also pretty damn clear NOW after the events in BvS he will be a more lighter Superman. People of earth now trust him.. They don't question his motives anymore. So of course the next time we see him he will appeal to those that did not like his persona is MoS and BvS.

Superman is supposed to be a completely well adjusted small town farm boy, with idealistic, wholesome values, who gets somewhat isolated in his teens due to his powers and needing to hide them, but is completely integrated into Smallville society.  He embodies all things good.  He may struggle with right v wrong (to illustrate the ethical issue) but always does the right thing inspiring others.  I don't care what 'times' we are in, if you like classic Superman, that is who you like, not some emo personality.  To me, if you like Cavill/Snyder's Superman, it is a different character who they can have, but they should call him something else, imho, and change his clothes.  I have no problem with them creating whatever new character they want, but I want Superman if I go to a Superman movie.

Clearly we disagree, but I WANT the good v bad or even good v weak/situational ethics.  Superman is supposed to highlight that dichotomy and inspire those around him to better things.  I'd argue that might be more valuable than ever, in 'these times.'

Edited by trifle
  • Like 14

12 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Other people questioning him is cool. Him constantly questioning whether to save humans or not seems to be the problem.

he saved an entire planet in MoS even though he did not know how the kryptonite would affect him and he sacrificed himself for humanity in BvS. what in the hell is questioning about saving humans :rofl:

Edited by mredman

17 minutes ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

Deep? That's about as deep as a Hallmark card.

Besides that, it doesn't really have anything to do with Superman himself, you're just talking about how people might perceive him. For the movie to fall back on that line despite him (in theory) saving lots of people reduces a complicated set of reactions (being favorable to Snyder's approach) to a shallow reductive view that makes no overall sense.

On top of that, Tom Wilkinson said nearly the exact same thing in Batman Begins.

"This is a world you'll never understand. And you always fear what you don't understand."

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Honestly if this is looking at $60-65M for Friday I don't see how it can't be considered front loaded especially with that free ticket thing. Its preview numbers would be 30-35% of its Friday number. 

Also its viewer score is where BvS was. I don't think this is going to get the type of WOM that has it explode on Saturday and Sunday. 

Still keeping my prediction in check. I won't get carried away. 

Great Marketing can buy you a huge opening weekend;but it can't buy you legs if the film is dissapointeing or plain not very good.

It is going follow the BVS pattern exactly.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, mredman said:

he saved an entire planet in MoS even though he did not know how the kryptonite would affect him and he sacrificed himself for humanity in BvS. what in the hell is questioning about saving humans :rofl:

Sure, he did it. After spending the whole movie in MoS questioning whether he should use his powers to save people. And then he spent all of BvS looking like saving people was making him miserable, he briefly ran away to the mountains to give Pa Kent some random cameo, before coming back.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

So viewer scores are about the same as BvS so far?

the combination of African American and Hispanic moviegoers made up a huge 41% of the audience with both audiences giving the film a whopping 81% positive score.

I think It's no way near BvS audience reception which was mixed to negative mainly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ohana said:

the combination of African American and Hispanic moviegoers made up a huge 41% of the audience with both audiences giving the film a whopping 81% positive score.

I think It's no way near BvS audience reception which was mixed to negative mainly.

It's overall score was at 73% which was identical to BvS. 

Thats just talking about the two demographics. 

A friend of mine just sent me a text asking if I wanted to go see Nine Lives. I didn't even know people knew it was a film let alone knew when it was coming out. 

Regardless, hell no. I'm going to see Suicide Squad. And I'll see Suicide Squad a million times over, instead of that cat movie or whatever the heck it is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

On top of that, Tom Wilkinson said nearly the exact same thing in Batman Begins.

"This is a world you'll never understand. And you always fear what you don't understand."

Wilkinson's bar scene is my favorite in that movie. He and his accent are awesome. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Well, this year has taught us that Joss Whedon really overreacted to the "bad reception" of Age of Ultron..

The lesson to be learned this year is that you can't construct a building without laying down a solid foundation first. They must be sweating over Wonder Woman and Justice League right now.

3 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Oh, I see

Btw it's connected to CinemaScore in any way?

I think it is. They didn't give it a grade though but if I had to guess id say B+. 

Honestly, I'm only using it as speculation when i talk about its WOM in comparison to BvS. We won't really know how well liked it is or not until we see the type of drop it has next weekend. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The lesson to be learned this year is that you can't construct a building without laying down a solid foundation first. They must be sweating over Wonder Woman and Justice League right now.

Yeah, I will say having already gotten to know and love the Avengers characters in their own separate movies probably made it much easier to swallow a mediocre output like AoU. Though honestly Whedon was probably more sad about the process and the fan reaction to the movie.