CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

Pretty good? It just destroyed the August record.

I don't do monthly comparisons, I compare it to all other OWs.

August record, biggest OW for a WB movie, biggest OW of the year..and so on..all these kinds of records aren't really relevant.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

IM2 did not destory IM1, TREK2(STID) did not destroy TREK1 :) (other examples like HTTYD2, SM2, KFP2)

We don't know what will happen. I was rewatching GOTG, which I had liked a lot, and it did not hold up for some reason (of course, IMO). Sometimes the novelty factor wears off.

I can see it falling short of GOTG1 or go over just a small amount, say 125-130-135/2.5x/312-325-338.

While I do see a small dip domestically, most of the sequels you mentioned may more worldwide then their predecessors. I think there is a good chance GOTG2 increases worldwide.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2016/03/avengers-age-of-ultron-profit-2015-box-office-marvel-universe-1201725562/

Ultron cost 190M to market according to Deadline.

But, one problematic and imperfect estimate found that Ultron made over 300 million dollars of profits for Disney. That does not take into account merchandising.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

That was a good late night recovery for Suicide Squad.  It should not be emphasized enough how good a $135m opening in August is and likely $270m+ domestic is going to be for them.  

Lord Nile has spoken. 

• Like 3

Suicide Squad shot up the August record, while Nine Lives was put to sleep this weekend. Overall the top 12 was at $223.9 million this weekend, which is up nearly 87% from last year and is the biggest August weekend ever!                                 While front-loaded and had mixed word of mouth. Suicide Squad was off to a decent start with an estimated $135.1 million which was well ahead of the debut of Guardians Of The Galaxy, and ahead of Deadpool. But was below DC's films. But it was also actor Will Smith's best debut, and actress Margot Robbie's best debut. It is already writer/director David Ayer's highest grossing film! Overall with mixed word of mouth, the film could have weak legs or could play like Guardians. A total around $300 million seems reasonable.           With competition against Suicide Swuad, Jason Bourne took a drop around 62% and is at an estimated $22.7 million its second weekend. Look for Bourne to end its run around $165 million domestic.          R-rated female driven comedy Bad Moms took a decent hold this weekend around 40% which is the norm for most R-rated comedies, and the best hold for R-rated comedies this year! With the weeks to come, Bad Moms should hold up fine, and make $85 million domestic.                                                      Family film The Secret Life Of Pets, dropped less than 40% this weekend. With Pete's Dragon coming out next weekend, Pets should do fine and be the #1 choice for families as of right now. Pets should end its run around $350 million.           Star Trek:Beyond took another over 55% drop, which is rough for the third entry of the Star Trek reboot franchise and the Star Trek franchise. Look for Star Trek to beam its way around $160 million.      Other new release, family animal film Nine Lives died with an estimated $6.5 million. That debut is on the weak end for actor Kevin Spacey. Look for Nine Lives to crawl its way near $15 million.            Horror film Lights Out took a decent drop this weekend around 44%, and has held out strong for a horror film. Lights Out should turn off with a total over $60 million.       Nerve had an alright second weekend hold, and should end its run near $35 million.                                Ghostbusters took another steep decline, and should end its run with $125 million.                                     Ice Age 5 also crashed this weekend, and should end its run close to $60 million.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

That was a good late night recovery for Suicide Squad.  It should not be emphasized enough how good a $135m opening in August is and likely $270m+ domestic is going to be for them.  

Considering the reviews, I think WB will be overjoyed with a $270m total. This isn't a FF style disaster at all. If they can deliver with Wonder Woman which I'm confident they will then it'll be 4 for 4 for $100m+ OW

Yeah, Suicide Squad's OW is astonishing. It also has to be somewhat heartening to the industry. It is really concerning how movies that turned in solid performances but did not break the 300M mark are depleting, and how there does not seem to be much outside of the biggest hits because of millienials' feelings about moviegoing. But, there is still an audience for theatrical movies.

42 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

She has 32M followers on Instagram while my gawdesks Margot Robbie and Alexandra Daddario have a combined 6M followers on Instagram. I know this is off topic but can anyone tell me how that makes sense?

I already told you why. First off, dont put that much stock in IG followers. Secondly, people love her eyebrows, edgyness, and the fact that she has a girlfriend, and before that dated Harry Styles apparently.

Those 32m fans dont mean all that much in the grand sceme. A great of portion of them are probably spam and fan accounts as well. See: Katy Perry.

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

anyone know why Bourne would drop 30% on Sunday but the other movies only 25% or less?

Universal being careful more than anything probably. 

15 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Yeah, Suicide Squad's OW is astonishing. It also has to be somewhat heartening to the industry. It is really concerning how movies that turned in solid performances but did not break the 300M mark are depleting, and how there does not seem to be much outside of the biggest hits because of millienials' feelings about moviegoing. But, there is still an audience for theatrical movies.

Astonishing? Easy there...

• Like 1