CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, everyone keeps pooing on Ghostbusters for its supposedly bad numbers, but it's not like Star Trek is doing much better.

They're both doing terribly

It's always been kind of baffling how both JJ Treks just shat the bed overseas. Especially with the success of Star Wars and Guardians

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

They're both doing terribly

It's always been kind of baffling how both JJ Treks just shat the bed overseas. Especially with the success of Star Wars and Guardians

Perhaps the series just has no overseas pull period.

I want a Harley standalone film. In fact I liked her the most in the film. And I am sorry to say I didn't like the Joker. Maybe because I was comparing it to the best performance of all time in a CBM. And yes Snyder should go IMO.

Just now, filmlover said:

Perhaps the series just has no overseas pull period.

Well, yeah. But why? Splosions, colorful visual effects, kineticism, etc

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

I already told you why. First off, dont put that much stock in IG followers. Secondly, people love her eyebrows, edgyness, and the fact that she has a girlfriend, and before that dated Harry Styles apparently.

Those 32m fans dont mean all that much in the grand sceme. A great of portion of them are probably spam and fan accounts as well. See: Katy Perry.

I get that stuff like that would inflate followers to a substantial degree. It's just 32M seems excessive even under those circumstances. Perhaps it's worrisome of the obsession of some fans that there would be so many spam and fan accounts.

Edited by Jay Beezy

18 minutes ago, terrestrial said:
Spoiler

nope

see beneath

1. he didn't wrote $250m according to the citation, it was formulated in a way that e.g. $226m are also possible. As you seem being so insistant for correct numbers, please do so also for examples given.

I think they are aware of that and still did that knowingly, as a finale for the CA trilogy. I think they will do a mix, movies to get new audience mostly and from time to time ~ finales, if the story idea for that movie or the next movie calls for that.

We do get aa pretty good idea via productions mostly done in UK. They have some nice laws there, demansing public record, for getting the huge rebates there. That can help to get a feel...

Haven't read about that neither. They did release over-budget details with e.g. GotG

As far as I know BOM states the budget as agreed on before they start to produce the movie. That is neither the real costs nor includes the ammount going over the budget

he did not... Already someone pointed that out, it doesn't leave a good impression to me (and maybe others too) to ignore that

Hadn't AoU had some additional income via product placement / advertisement for regions / background?

GotG went over, that is correct, but with tne tax rebates... if I remeber it right (I have it somewhere) the final budget was $191.4m or $191.7m ?

If you mean via BO allone = maybe, the future will show us that. But with all the other forms of income = it will make money if no big disaster... happens.

It actually did. But not via BO.

IHulk made e.g. in dom allone:

Home Market Performance
Domestic DVD Sales $68,293,960 Details
Domestic Blu-ray Sales $5,148,132 Details
Total Domestic Video Sales $73,442,092

Add TV rights dom and ww, add rentals, also dom and ww, digital and so on. The question is more: who made how much, see Universal being still be involved

About BUDGETS:

please remember / be aware:

even if different budgets are released, all can be correct. It depends on what kind of budget is exactly meant.

1. there is the budget a studio / money giver agrees on paying for a movie.

2. the real production costs

3. distribution costs

4. additional costs not foreseen at the time of the negotiations....

A movie can get tax-returns, income via product placements... = let's say a movie really cost $200m to produce. Let's say it gets produced completely in UK. UK pays back ~ 25% (it's a bit more complicated, only for presenting reasons simplified a bit), means the people 'organizing' / producing the movie gets $50m paid back. Add some advertising product placement (MoS was / is record holder with $160m), let's say $30m. So if the studio agreed on paying $120m the movie still would be in budget, even of costing $200m to make.

But:

sometimes actors or other people / companies will get also percentages of profit or BO. That can reduce the gain... depending on how that gets booked (production / distribution...)

Can add to the budget details floating around.

Or something happens:

see Harrison Ford's accident on stage for Star Wars TFA, they had to shut down production for 2 weeks. If insured accordingly, no problem, if not = additional costs.

re-shoots are usually calculated in to a degree, if more is needed, can be expensive or not so much, depending on availability of the actors / sets / ...

Sets: if a stage is used for more than one movie it is usually less expensive to re-shoot as if they have to re-build...

FX. often a really problem. Negotiations for a movie according to script. Who ever has watched LotR extras latest will know: directors sometimes wish for more,... or mooooooore. Those bills get often not even finalised when the moviie gets released, sometimes more than a year takes place till the finalizing negotiations, calculations,... are done (one of the reasons FX get in financial troubles, GRRR about studios)

Or like in China, a studio gets sued over product placement being not as successful as imagined ...

Or......

Distribution costs dom and ww and / or details about advertising dom and ww = all can add up to the 'discussions' about the 'true' budget.

So please stay open minded if people are using different numbers, they might all be correct.

Now that you say that about GotG I vaguely remember seeing 190-something before.  And Ultron may have gotten something else back from other shooting locations or other sources but it may have cost even more than I said before. And yes, in one way or another different numbers can all be true, just depends on what the number is really pointing to.

I'm perfectly fine judging Suicide Squad against a 175m budget because of all the unknowns (and BvS and Civil War against  250).  But there's always going to be an asterisk beside all of them.

• Like 1

I don't buy the $175 number, especially with reshoots. And the marketing costs must be very high. I think it needs to make at least $750 million WW to be a real as opposed to paper success. 

Edited by straggler

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

By the end of the year the top ten is going to be almost entirely WB/Disney movies (Deadpool and Pets as the only exceptions) and superhero/talking animal movies (Fantastic Beasts, Star Wars and Moana as the exceptions there)

Yay?

I blame this on the rise of better serial programming in the form of HBO, Netflix, etc. that provide strong material targeted to adults with greater length and depth better appreciated by adults. Silly adult, movies are for kids!

Just now, Chewy said:

Well, yeah. But why? Splosions, colorful visual effects, kineticism, etc

Perhaps it's what happens when the product has always been a niche in appeal. Star Trek has always been considered the nerdiest franchise anyway. 2009 was a fluke.

• Like 1

Every studio lies about every single blockbuster budget, if there's an asterisk next to Suicide Squad then we've got about a billion asterisks to keep track of

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Movies this summer that opened well and audiences bothered to care about after opening weekend: Dory, Pets, Central Intelligence. 

Das it

And Tarzan. But it's fudged budget keeps taking it out of the conversation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

Movies this summer that opened well and audiences bothered to care about after opening weekend: Dory, Pets, Central Intelligence. 

Das it

It didn't make anywhere nearly as much money but The Shallows held really well until theater drops did it in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Das it

The Shallows and Lights Out too (not going to say Tarzan since it would be the fourth time :lol: )