CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

One

Seriously, they've already got a blind following, so their first good film would pretty much ensure their next three films after that turn a profit

That's the best description yet.

21 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I said this before but I think Sausage Party is one of those novelty movies that will review well but will be too out there for a lot of audiences.

So Popstar ? Still think it's been the most underrated movie of the summer.

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

I hope that is right but I would rather think less and be happy it is better.  TMobile tickets were today.  I want to see tomorrow before I relax into that sort of a number.  I'm figuring above 120M which would be very good, and anything better is gravy.

Even if Friday was inflated due to TMobile tickets (I have no idea by how much), it's to tough to imagine less than (65*2 = ) 130M for the weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Don't know about France but Britain was desperately trying to work out a deal with Germany. I think they called it appeasement. Anyway, they didn't want to go to War. That was prior to Churchill taking over as prime minister.

WWI was so devastating almost everyone wanted to ignore the obvious and plead for peace because they didn't want to deal with the horror again. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

One

Seriously, they've already got a blind following, so their first good film would pretty much ensure their next three films after that turn a profit

3 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Eh, if WW turns out to be well-received, I think things could change for the brand as long as they keep the quality under control, although I have serious doubts about that.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

At this point, even a film considered half-decent would probably suffice. Which is a shame really.

I understand what you guys mean, but wouldn't Wonder Woman being good-great only seem like an anomalous result for the general public? Or is the DC brand big enough that the first universally loved film of theirs in years be enough to win people over who decided to skip on Suicide Squad and BvS - two films which featured most of DC's heavy hitters.

With Marvel, it took several years of goodwill to build such a strong brand image; but DC already started on a sour foot, so I'm wondering how much it would take to recover from their last three misfires.

Just now, TMP said:

I understand what you guys mean, but wouldn't Wonder Woman being good-great only seem like an anomalous result for the general public? Or is the DC brand big enough that the first universally loved film of theirs in years be enough to win people over who decided to skip on Suicide Squad and BvS - two films which featured most of DC's heavy hitters.

With Marvel, it took several years of goodwill to build such a strong brand image; but DC already started on a sour foot, so I'm wondering how much it would take to recover from their last three misfires.

Their next film after that is Justice League, which will at worst break even. Wonder Woman being good would pretty much rejuvenate all hype for it.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

I understand what you guys mean, but wouldn't Wonder Woman being good-great only seem like an anomalous result for the general public?

The general public doesn't really differentiate between Marvel and DC. It's just "superheroes".

• Like 9

Final numbers from my theatre Suicide Squad had a $38.2M Friday at my theatre (including Thursday).

Nine Lives crashed and burned after the first matinee; $3.4M OD which idk maybe that's what estimates might end up with.

Bad Moms $8M. Bourne and Trek fell hard; $7.4M and $2.8M respectively.

• Like 1

Marvel reached a level of trust so that they could make Ant-Man into a 180m dom/ 520m ww movie. DC will need a lot of time before they can do something like that. But right now they have A-listers to focus on. So it doesn't matter much what they could do with B/C listers. DC a gold mine like is being proven by SS ow. Whether the films currently are received well by the GA or not, DC has a long run-way. People will always give them another shot due to the affection of their property which goes well beyond theatrical releases. 

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

The general public doesn't really differentiate between Marvel and DC. It's just "superheroes".

I dunno. I think there's a general knowledge of different brands. Like Pepsi vs. Coke.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I dunno. I think there's a general knowledge of different brands. Like Pepsi vs. Coke.

Sure, for people who follow these things, particularly among those who might've read comics as kids. But a lot of other people don't have a clue.

• Like 2

The problem with the DCEU is that there really isn't one person overseeing everything so the studio just throwing everything in to see what sticks at the cost of coherency (that would certainly explain why BvS felt like half-a-dozen movies clumsily crammed into one 2.5 hour film). And the closest person they have to that is Snyder, whose views on these characters are...questionable...at best.

Edited by filmlover

6 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

That may have been true a while ago, but I think that branding for these big budget superhero films has been so strong ever since the whole "shared universes" thing began that there've been some obvious differences between the two. Kind of like the distinction between Pixar and Dreamworks among most of the general public

6 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Their next film after that is Justice League, which will at worst break even. Wonder Woman being good would pretty much rejuvenate all hype for it.

Agreed on the Justice League box office being a safe bet to break even, but how well would DC's solo post-Wonder Woman do if they're 2/5 for quality, or at worst 0/5.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Marvel reached a level of trust so that they could make Ant-Man into a 180m dom/ 520m ww movie. DC will need a lot of time before they can do something like that. But right now they have A-listers to focus on. So it doesn't matter much what they could do with B/C listers. DC a gold mine like is being proven by SS ow. Whether the films currently are received well by the GA or not, DC has a long run-way. People will always give them another shot due to the affection of their property which goes well beyond theatrical releases. 

Exactly, saying that the occasional moviegoer doesn't know what a Marvel Studio movie is from a WB one is a fallacy. Marvel Studios has been around long enough to earn the kind of trust that films like Ant-Man and probably Doctor Strange happen and are successful. 

With that said, I've seen Kevin Smith video review of Suicide Squad earlier on YouTube and I couldn't agree more. WB is finally in the right track, regardless of what the critics say. Now, if ONLY Snyder wasn't directing Justice League... 

16 minutes ago, a2knet said:

~65 pretty much assures 140+ ow

Movies don't show a drop usually from true Fri.

Even if it shows a marginal drop, it can get close to 140.

20.5 + 44.5 + 43 + 32 = 140

I'm thinking a little lower

20.5 + 43 + 41 + 29 = 133.5

Rth's numbers are just as likely to be a bit high as they are to be a bit low so I wouldn't be surprised if the studio estimate for Friday is 63.89 or something