Blankments

Hell or High Water | David MacKenzie | August 12, 2016

It's... pretty good!

Not really sure what the fuss is. Everyone gets the job done, and MacKenzie directs the hell out of the last third of this movie, but the subtext is so obvious, told to us through supporting characters and literal writing on buildings instead of through any real nuance. Bridges is fun too but like the rest of the film it's fun because it's familiar. 

Last scene however, between Pine and Bridges, was so damn good I wish the movie's first act was its third. 

10 hours ago, Gopher said:

It's... pretty good!

Not really sure what the fuss is. Everyone gets the job done, and MacKenzie directs the hell out of the last third of this movie, but the subtext is so obvious, told to us through supporting characters and literal writing on buildings instead of through any real nuance. Bridges is fun too but like the rest of the film it's fun because it's familiar. 

Last scene however, between Pine and Bridges, was so damn good I wish the movie's first act was its third. 

Hmm, I'd argue that it's not even subtext, it's basically another character in the movie.

• Like 1

I posted a picture of the poster on Snapchat and my cousin replied and said she's been waiting on this since May. She's not a movie buff. I also sent the trailer to my ex-ish, and she said it looked really good and wanted to know if it was coming to her area.

I watched UFC 202 with some coworkers last night and I brought this up and they immediately were like "don't say anything! I wanna see it so bad!" They plan on going today.

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this until the day of, yet everyone else has been excited. I really hope it can get a decent amount of eyeballs. This movie was amazing and deserves acclaim. The more I think about it, and read yalls thoughts, the more I love it.

14 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

My favorite funny bit is

Reveal hidden contents

Yep.

Spoiler

The racism was funny and worked because it wasn't added to try to create any shock value. I truly thought Alberto was offended by Marcus' constant "your people" remarks, and I was waiting on him to snap, but I was relieved when he didnt. It fit.

Sounds weird, but I think it even furthered their friendship. The fact that Alberto just kept letting it slide showed how close they really were, and it showed just how much Marcus cared for him because he knew his limit, and he knew Alberto would just come back with something else.

I also loved when Marcus and Alberto were sitting outside the bank and Alberto was like "your people took this land from my people, and now the bank is taking it from yall. Then the look on Marcus' face was just "shit, you're right. We were some assholes." 

I found that very powerful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Yep.

Hide contents

The racism was funny and worked because it wasn't added to try to create any shock value. I truly thought Alberto was offended by Marcus' constant "your people" remarks, and I was waiting on him to snap, but I was relieved when he didnt. It fit.

Sounds weird, but I think it even furthered their friendship. The fact that Alberto just kept letting it slide showed how close they really were, and it showed just how much Marcus cared for him because he knew his limit, and he knew Alberto would just come back with something else.

I also loved when Marcus and Alberto were sitting outside the bank and Alberto was like "your people took this land from my people, and now the bank is taking it from yall. Then the look on Marcus' face was just "shit, you're right. We were some assholes." 

I found that very powerful.

Spoiler

Marcus' reaction to Alberto's death is amazingly well-done too. He's in the middle of another tiresome "tomahawk" joke but his immediate realization of what just happened is heartbreaking, it's clear he's shaken to the core. Then he immediately has to pull himself together and when he goes after Tanner there's steeliness and determination in his behavior that wasn't there before - a line has been crossed, and he's gonna take the life of the person that crossed it. No fucking around anymore. We can all enjoy ribbing Bridges for staying in his Cogburn persona but he really acts the shit out of that whole scene.

• Like 5

Saw it, really liked it. Had a headache during it so I didn't love it and will probably check it out on DVD again at year's end to more properly assess it, but I really liked how it felt like a period piece of the 2010s, if that makes any sense. Really funny too with some strong acting (except Ben Foster, didn't like him in this at all).

One of my friends involuntary shouted out "No!!" when Alberto got shot while my other two friends and I all gasped. Really great moment.

Also the funniest scene I haven't seen mentioned here is when the punk pulls up and goads Ben Foster's character and Ben Foster goes "You'd think there'd be ten of me" and then Chris Pine just beats the guy up lol

On 8/29/2016 at 3:47 PM, Blankments said:

Saw it, really liked it. Had a headache during it so I didn't love it and will probably check it out on DVD again at year's end to more properly assess it, but I really liked how it felt like a period piece of the 2010s, if that makes any sense. Really funny too with some strong acting (except Ben Foster, didn't like him in this at all).

Reveal hidden contents

Weird I had a headache watching it too, still loved it though, probably my second favorite film of the year so far.