Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

5 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

Not to mention Suicide Squad will very likely be the third straight DCEU movie to have a higher opening than Guardians of the Galaxy but have a lower domestic total.

But, but GOTG has good legs as per only detractors of DCEU. It is not like it is a fact or something. :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

In the context of a comparison between SS and GotG, I don't think it matters whether or not SS's 2nd weekend is roughly equal to that of GotG if the overall haul is bigger. However, projections seem to indicate that it will be smaller, so...:(

Hum, yes it does matter. Suicide Squad opened to over 130M+, Guardians opened to 90M+. On weekend #2, they grossed almost the exact same, indicating that Guardians' audience wanted to continue to watch the film (and this despite going against a 65M debut for TMNT), while Squad's audience was mostly done on the first three days. And it indicates that, comparatively, Guardians would do more money post weekend #2 than Squad. Thus, ending whatever shot Squad had of outperforming Guardians.

Let's put it this way: BVS opened to 166M, close to 70M more than GOTG. Guardians still did more (about 3M of a difference, sure, but the point remains). And Suicide Squad isn't even guaranteed to cross 300M (looks likelier than the opposite, but still).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Maybe if Marvel marketed GOTG better it would have opened to more than what it did so WB clearly win the marketing battle. I'll let you try to tell me that part of it doesn't matter..

Of course marketing matters. But I'm not even going to say this as a DC or a Marvel thing. But a studio can only market a film so much and if people don't care to see it then they simply don't care to see it regardless of how you spin the trailers or how often you show them. Just because you throw a ton of money at marketing doesn't mean people will flock to see the film. 

But yea of course WB wins the marketing battle. They know how to disguise their awful super hero movies and make great trailers for films that aren't that great. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Hum, yes it does matter. Suicide Squad opened to over 130M+, Guardians opened to 90M+. On weekend #2, they grossed almost the exact same, indicating that Guardians' audience wanted to continue to watch the film (and this despite going against a 65M debut for TMNT), while Squad's audience was mostly done on the first three days. And it indicates that, comparatively, Guardians would do more money post weekend #2 than Squad. Thus, ending whatever shot Squad had of outperforming Guardians.

Let's put it this way: BVS opened to 166M, close to 70M more than GOTG. Guardians still did more (about 3M of a difference, sure, but the point remains). And Suicide Squad isn't even guaranteed to cross 300M (looks likelier than the opposite, but still).

I still stand by my opinion that if SS's overall domestic were to wind up being bigger, then it wouldn't matter, because that would indictate that enough of its audience remained to grant it a bigger haul. All that matters in the end is the money. However, my hypothetical scenario is meaningless because it looks like SS will wind up with the smaller overall haul. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Maybe if Marvel marketed GOTG better it would have opened to more than what it did so WB clearly win the marketing battle. I'll let you try to tell me that part of it doesn't matter..

is everybody gonna ignore BvS second trailer? Brilliant marketing right there. 

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I don't want to poison the well, but both of those films had great marketing.  Despite that, SS still had an advantage for opening.  Suicide Squad had many well known characters in it, as well as being tied to Batman.  Guardians of the Galaxy had characters nobody had ever heard of and they looked absolutely absurd.  

94m was probably the highest OW GOTG was ever going to be able to reach.  134m OW was great for SS, but its internal weekend multiplier made me think 134m wasn't its cap.

I don't understand why there was to be a battle on what was marketed better.

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think you're forgetting that WB had more marketable/well-known characters, like Joker and Harley Quinn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Look I was wrong and it did not go up 75%. But historical data was not wrong. Films in the second week of August had increased by that amount. You can't say I was wrong on that.... that part was right. I was obviously wrong thinking that Suicide Squad will follow the same pattern. So congratulations you guys are alright... go ahead and gloat. I don't understand why there was so much of vitriol and anger towards me when I was just posting facts. It didn't have to turn into some big freaking War I was just showing you guys that movies had increased by that amount on the second Friday in August. Suicide Squad did not and therefore you were right and I was wrong.

There were special circumstances for Suicide Squad that indicated that it would not jump as much as the other August releases.

1. Its gigantic opening weekend that ate up demand.

2. Toxic WOM. Yes, toxic WOM. Turns out that RT can indicate something sometimes.

Suicide Squad s marketing was basic and vulgar, just like the film, using one of the (THE Most ? ) most iconic  rock song of all time to pimp itself.

Tele could have edited this trailer better while moderating the forum & taking care of Tele Jr.

GotG had awesome marketing. It did far and above what anyone expected in it's OW. 

Revisionism is great, but people expected GotG to flop for a long time - it was a comic barely anyone heard of with virtually no ties to the greater Marvel universe and no recognizable chararcters or movie stars (unless you count Bradley Cooper doing a Raccoon voice over). 

Compare that to a movie that was hearvily marketed on the Joker, has Will Smith and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, plus a Batman connection fo course.

Trying to use SS to make GotG's opening look bad only works if you ignore a whole bunch of context for both movies.

• Like 10

360-365M dom will give PETS 3.45-3.5x multiplier. At par with TJB. Similar OWs, similar DOMs.

At 480, DORY will have a 3.55x multiplier.

Says something about DORY's great early run or weekdays (which stay hidden from weekend hype), that it's not being called out for great legs, but it's multiplier will be higher than PETS (unless PETS does 370M but then it will still be matching it).

1 hour ago, jb007 said:

Another attempt to state that DCEU has bad legs to built in fan base not poor wom.

Nice try. BTW, the wom for MOS was average, not toxic like bvs and SS (very likely)

That's weird, because SS is doing better each day than MoS and will make more post OW.

And the DCEU seemingly will continue to make over 160m after OW for each movie, consistently. So on average, the poor WOM of that universe has only generated more money than the full run of X-Men Apocalypse and nearly make as much money as the full run of Ant-Man. Not only that, but the poor legs are consistent, followed up by another record breaker for the next movie in the franchise. Also, despite the poor WOM, SS has bettered GotG each and every day up to this point. So toxic.

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1