Ezen Baklattan

Weekend Thread | Estimates SS 43.7m, SP 33.6m, PD 21.5, JCIJB 13.6m, BM 11.45m, SLOP 8.8m, STD 6.8m, FFJ 6.58m

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I do agree with this and know I did this personally.  I would talk to people I knew that were casual movie goers that don't watch every Marvel movie, and when I mentioned I had gone to see Civil War I told them I really liked it but didn't recommend they see it because they needed to watch at least 5 specific movies to have any clue what was going on.  

Yeah, I said this to several of my friends, even the ones who I knew were casual Marvel fans and has seen most of the films but didn't have a good memory lol. 

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Iron Man 2, Ultron and Civil War were all guaranteed certain things as well 

Ultron was guaranteed to pass Avengers? That's new to me.

Edited by picores

CACW convinced me that the ceiling if my beloved MCU has probably formed. 

It was critically successful, core fans really liked it, new Spider-Man, Black Panther debuted, huge opening and it is at $407m. 

I want to believe Infinity War can break $500m if everything falls right, but it's harder to see. 

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Civil War did fine but it was also "guaranteed" to have better legs than IM3 and Ultron simply because of the reviews. Just like how IM2 was guaranteed to top IM1  and Ultron guaranteed to make 550m at least

Eh, we never learn though.  It didn't happen for Empire Strikes Back or Spiderman 2 either

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Yeah, as long as Marvel does a good job marketing the movie as a fun standalone flick (and as long as the quality isn't terrible), I can see a 400m+ Dom run being possible.

Or a $500m dom run. Shrek 2 all over again for GOTG2!

Pete's Dragon was good. Not great, but it had a lot of elements that certainly reminded me of ET. I liked the tone, the setting, as well as several key scenes.

But I'm not sure if it was that the movie felt too short, or didn't do enough with the time that it had to really develop the Pete/Elliot relationship.

6 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Then you didn't look very hard.  

Right. There were a lot of crappy movies out for sure but there were also quite a few really good movies that came out. For me they were more the lower budget films but they were still a blast at the theater.

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Total anecdote: last week I had an husband/wife organizer team come to help clean up my office (total mess since we moved). I got to talking with the guy about summer movies, because he said how much he loves going to see blockbusters. (The conversation started off when he asked if I was gonna see SUICIDE SQUAD). After raving about BAD MOMS, he started talking about other big summer movies he'd seen. I asked if he saw X-MEN, and he said he didn't like it that much. Said he was expecting something bigger and cooler, not two teams fighting against each other. I said, wait a sec, are you talking about X-MEN? He then realized he was talking about CIVIL WAR, which he reiterated he didn't like it much. Then he said he really enjoyed X-MEN.

General audiences, man.

Well I guess it's official. One guy saying he didn't like CW means the movie was hated by the GA.

• Like 6

Just now, Water Bottle said:

Well I guess it's official. One guy saying he didn't like CW means the movie was hated by the GA.

Kind of like the "evidence" people use when citing why a movie sucks to justify their opinion...Using "friends" or people they overhear at the cinema....

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I think the point was the GA doesn't know the difference between the franchises or films.  That is if one thinks one person (with very poor taste) represents the GA:rock:

• Like 2

I'll share my thoughts on Sausage Party (as well as Nerve and Florence, which I also saw this weekend) in the Review forum tomorrow but I will say this: Oh. My. God! My sides still ache from laughing so hard. I think I'm gonna need a few days to recover from that ending.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

Didn't Iron Man 2 have behind the scenes issues?  Rourke hating Marvel, problems with his salary, Rourke saying that most of his scenes were cut and so on. It also seems that Favreau was forced to make some changes in the movie, in order to put a set up to Avengers and so on.

Iron Man 2, Thor The Dark World and Age of Ultron are easily the weakest MCU movies. 

I think Thor also faced some problems. Director didn't like the post credit set up to GOTG, didn't know what to do with the story, had to ask for Whedon's help a couple of times. Regarding AOU, it seems Whedon and the producers clashed during the production. Hawkeye's farm scene and Thor's cave scene are pretty much the evidence of studio interference. AOU had a weird pacing. I hated the farm scene, it simply killed the movie.

5 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

CACW convinced me that the ceiling if my beloved MCU has probably formed. 

It was critically successful, core fans really liked it, new Spider-Man, Black Panther debuted, huge opening and it is at $407m. 

I want to believe Infinity War can break $500m if everything falls right, but it's harder to see. 

I think even if they made something the combined quality The Godfather II and Citizen Kane it won't be increasing much if any. 

Can you imagine a casual movie goer trying to walk in cold or even semi-cold to Infinity War?  The utter confusion would be hilarious as they tried to piece together who the 60+ characters are.  

The good news for Marvel and Disney is they did a great job of creating a huge fan base that can get them to the $150m - $200m domestic area for most individual character movies, $250m - $400m for really popular characters or partial team up movies and $450m+ for bringing all the Avengers together.  

They are never getting back to the $600m+ range again and may possibly hit $500m for the final Avengers movie if people think their favorite characters aren't going to be appearing anymore.  

• Like 9