Nova

Wednesday Numbers: SS $4.1M (Guru)

5 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Terrible number 

Stop being a troll dude.  We've got a policy in place for this now.  Either tell us why you think it's bad or just stop.  If you want to continue down this road, we might have to say see ya for 24 hours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I think those of us who like the film just want it to hit 300.  That would be a good round number.

Stopping at 290m wouldn't make it a failure, it would be a good number for a movie at 26% on RT. Just sayin'...

• Like 1

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Stopping at 290m wouldn't make it a failure, it would be a good number for a movie at 26% on RT. Just sayin'...

Yep, 290 is fine.  It's going to clear 600WW for sure, possibly hit 700.

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Dang it. 21 looks tough now.

20+ is still possible.

3.6 -13%

5.9 +64%

8.2 +39%

6.0 -27% [20.1]

I don't see why it has that small an increase on Friday.  It will do 70% at least if you go by last year.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2015-08-14&track=mi5.htm

7 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I don't see why it has that small an increase on Friday.  It will do 70% at least if you go by last year.

I just gave it GOTG's 2nd Friday bump because their 1st Fridays had a similar bump (60% vs 61%)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=augustopen.htm

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I just gave it GOTG's 2nd Friday bump because their 1st Fridays had a similar bump (60% vs 61%)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=augustopen.htm

Well, it's certainly possible.  I'm just thinking that it will jump by at least 70% this weekend.  Hoping, I guess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Yep, 290 is fine.  It's going to clear 600WW for sure, possibly hit 700.

Let's say that it's doing well DOM but its OS numbers are more questionable......Doing less than 700m WW these days when you're a big Hollywood movie is a tad disappointing :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

Well, it's certainly possible.  I'm just thinking that it will jump by at least 70% this weekend.  Hoping, I guess.

Yeah. If anything my Sat is a bit pessimistic.

GOTG's 2nd Sat bump was 37.6% and 3rd Sat was 49%

SS's 2nd Sat bump was 34%. Same improvements in bump would give SS a 44% bump on 3rd Sat.

I have used +39% for Sat but low 40s is possible.

8 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

I think those of us who like the film just want it to hit 300.  That would be a good round number.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure SS will make at least 300 million domestic, even if it takes a while to get there.

If for some reason it fails to make 300 million domestic and it makes something like 285-290 million, that's still good. It's a 2.2x ( basically ) multiplier. In fact, a 2x multiplier is already confirmed to be better than BVS. Hell, anything would be better than BVS. Just kidding. :)

For a movie about the Suicide Squad, these numbers are fantastic. I never thought I would be seeing SS making 300 million or more domestic. That's crazy. 

• Like 1

I can see the Friday increase going either way for SS. If it follows the mid-late august trend, 70+% increase easily. If guardians, slightly lower. You have to remember that we're playing with the largest August opening ever in a typically frontloaded genre with a rabid fanbase that is split on how much they liked the film; its not going to play by all the rules. SS is going to lose the majority of its IMAX screens and a number of 3D showings which may end up being the difference. I have it pegged at a 60% increase, but it may very well go up more depending on how the new releases stack up this weekend.

Edited by The Fast and the Furiosa
  • Like 7

11 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Let's say that it's doing well DOM but its OS numbers are more questionable......Doing less than 700m WW these days when you're a big Hollywood movie is a tad disappointing :unsure:

Not if you don't have China :)

With China <700M is not likely.

SS was never expected to be this big. Early in the year BVS and CW were the A-listers.

APOC was next in the BO pecking order, followed by DS and SS.

DP was at the end.

DP will finish at #2 dom and #3 WW (no China) and is the biggest surprise.

But SS is a very big surprise too. It's WW will beat APOC by at least 100M without China (where APOC did 120M+). 

So removing APOC's China too, the difference between SS and APOC is 220M+ WW in the same markets.

That is unreal if you think about expectations early this year.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Don't forget SS won't have China to boost its numbers.

Civil War only made more than 1 billion worldwide, thanks to China's grosses ( 190 million ). X-Men Apocalypse made 539 million worldwide, but without China ( 121 million ), it would have made 438 million. SS overseas numbers are insanely good, because these numbers don't include China's numbers at all. 

GOTG made 96 million in China alone. So, overseas numbers for SS are really good. It it makes at least 330-350 million overseas, that's already a win. Deadpool is a good example, it managed to make 400 million overseas without China.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Not if you don't have China :)

With China <700M is not likely.

SS was never expected to be this big. Early in the year BVS and CW were the A-listers.

APOC was next in the BO pecking order, followed by DS and SS.

DP was at the end.

DP will finish at #2 dom and #3 WW (no China) and is the biggest surprise.

But SS is a very big surprise too. It's WW will beat APOC by at least 100M without China (where APOC did 120M+). 

So removing APOC's China too, the difference between SS and APOC is 220M+ WW in the same markets.

That is unreal if you think about expectations early this year.

Many movies beyond $1B would still be beyond $1B without China so I'm not sure...And you can't be sure that Chinese would like a movie with such a style.

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Don't forget SS won't have China to boost its numbers.

Civil War only made more than 1 billion worldwide, thanks to China's grosses ( 190 million ). X-Men Apocalypse made 539 million worldwide, but without China ( 121 million ), it would have made 438 million. SS overseas numbers are insanely good, because these numbers don't include China's numbers at all. 

GOTG made 96 million in China alone. So, overseas numbers for SS are really good. It it makes at least 330-350 million overseas, that's already a win. Deadpool is a good example, it managed to make 400 million overseas without China.

I don't think there is any question SS is doing better than people thought it would.  The only question now is how good will that end up being?