Nova

Wednesday Numbers: SS $4.1M (Guru)

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There have been a few nice ones lately to be honest. Hardly anyone/nobody saw Zootopia clearing 1BWW, American Sniper doing 350M DOM, Jurassic World beating TA's OW record, Furious 7 doing 1.5B WW, Frozen's domestic and overseas sensation, TFA doing nearly 1B DOM.

It's been a nice couple of years I'll say.

yes it certainly beats some of the dry spells we had - particularly in the later part of last decade. (05 and 07 in particular - and really 08 aside from TDK)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

yes it certainly beats some of the dry spells we had - particularly in the later part of last decade. (05 and 07 in particular - and really 08 aside from TDK)

~$100M OW and over $300M domestic for Iron Man was pretty big, especially since many people had never even heard of Iron Man the year before. IIRC, Iron Man's opening was briefly the 10th largest of all time (beaten by Indy 4 a couple weeks later), and was the second best opening by a non-sequel after Spider-Man. 

TDK definitely overshadowed that though. 

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kswiston said:

~$100M OW and over $300M domestic for Iron Man was pretty big, especially since many people had never even heard of Iron Man the year before. IIRC, Iron Man's opening was briefly the 10th largest of all time (beaten by Indy 4 a couple weeks later), and was the second best opening by a non-sequel after Spider-Man. 

TDK definitely overshadowed that though. 

You are right I had forgotten about that... to many big openings since then lol

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Agree. Despite ZOOTP, TJB, SLOP doing amazing...DP still takes the cake for the most stellar BO performance for 2016 imo.

Most unexpected, too. I think all three of those other examples would have had to make at least $450m dom to match the shock factor.

Edited by cannastop

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Most unexpected, too. I think all three of those other examples would have had to make at least $450m dom to match the shock factor.

Weren't a lot of people of the opinion that boxoffice.com's ~$85M OW/$175M DOM prediction was on the high side for Deadpool? Tracking the week or so before was definitely lower than $85M. 

Deadpool pulled a TED, but on a bigger scale. 

This may be the nostalgia talking but TDK's run was SO much fun. Reading the boards when it dropped like 40% its first Monday was insane. Avengers was almost as fun - the Friday number going up from 60 to high 60s to mid 70s to low 80s - and TFA opening week was undoubtedly crazy, but TDK was the first time a summer blockbuster in our era was pulling those kinds of numbers. 

• Like 4

Just now, Gopher said:

This may be the nostalgia talking but TDK's run was SO much fun. Reading the boards when it dropped like 40% its first Monday was insane. Avengers was almost as fun - the Friday number going up from 60 to high 60s to mid 70s to low 80s - and TFA opening week was undoubtedly crazy, but TDK was the first time a summer blockbuster in our era was pulling those kinds of numbers. 

Pfft. I watched Titanic's run as it happened. 

43 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Rogue Nation was more adult skewing.  SS like last Friday is more likely to be following GOTG's Friday jumps though maybe less this week because it's losing some IMAX and PLF screens to... Ben Hur.

Thanks. 

I already said it wasn't going up 90%. I just used Rogue Nation and the link for that weekend last year to show that films are starting to go up a lot more on Fridays now.

41 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dude lay off the condescension... I have been (as have most of us old timers) tracking Box Office for more than a decade. We KNOW what release dates do to films legs. We just normally don't have such a stark comparison as we do with BvS and SSQ.

That being said - normally the winter films would benefit from stronger weekends which makes up part of the difference in gross. Obviously that was not the case with BvS and frankly at most it probably would have added an additional 20-30m it still wouldn't have grossed 400m.

Dude lay off the chest poking.

Who ever said you didn't know how release dates effect flim  Releases?

Me saying 'I'm glad more and more...etc'

Isn't talking about anyone special it's just an all around thing I've noticed.

Hopefully that can stop the "legs" arguments some never factor in when making Points about a flim reception.

"frankly at most it probably would have added an additional 20-30m it still wouldn't have grossed 400m"

Who's to say it wouldn't?

You seem very salty,I never said anything about the flim crossing the 400 domestic mark i just said' better leg'.

You saying the flim wouldn't have crossed the 400 domestic mark tells me your mind set.

CW 407dom this is why you said that number. 

Do any of you know own how to have a conversation without factoring in your personal bias?

Edited by Brainiac5

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Pfft. I watched Titanic's run as it happened. 

And Titanic didn't do anything close to what TDK did. Titanic was a marathon. TDK a fast hard sprint.

12 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Jurassic World and Inside Out selling like mad simultaneously last summer season was bonkers too.

5 minutes ago, Baumer loves Dory said:

And Titanic didn't do anything close to what TDK did. Titanic was a marathon. TDK a fast hard sprint.

Spider-man in 2002 was first run of that type I can remember, just without the summer weekdays. 

The only $400M domestic films we had before then were Star Wars, E.T., Titanic and the Phantom Menace. Star Wars and E.T. were released in a different era and had multiple re-releases. Titanic was a marathon like you said. The Phantom Menace came out in the tail end of the 90s era when blockbusters were starting to see larger opening weekends, but were still expected to have more than a 3x OW multiplier. 

• Like 2