Gopher

What summer 2016 box office run gave you hope?

I don't think it's controversial to say it's been a rough summer at the movies. Disappointment after bomb after negligible film. Yet I'm inclined to pick through the wreckage and make cases for what films I was happy to see an audience respond to (positively or negatively) a specific way, and seemed to signal good tidings for the future. I thought given how diverse the tastes of these boards tend to be, many members can chime in with many reasons. 

Also, in the face of constant internet civil war, who doesn't like a warm and positive discussion?

For starters, I just saw that The Lobster is closing its run just under 9 million dollars. For a baffling, bizarre, not-made-for-US-audiences-whatsoever film that was slated to be dumped by a failing distributor, A24 picked up the slack and gave it a proper platform run. Yet it still felt like a film audiences discovered early on, recommended, and kept around for a while. Weird even when critically acclaimed won't always hit (see: Swiss Army Man's middling box office) so I love success stories like this one. 

On the studio side, Lights Out - a truly solid horror film borne from a singular filmmaker's style that refused to pull its punches -  opened against several tentpoles that couldn't muster any staying power and went on to a 3x multiplier after a very good opening. Horror may be the cornerstone of the original live-action studio movie these days, but I don't think it'll ever go away. 

And of course I was thrilled when Sausage Party did better than Team America: World Police in just one weekend. 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 5

I'd say Bad Moms run for sure.

And on the flip side I'd say North American audiences rejecting sequels to Alice and TMNT was welcome.

I didn't include NYSMNYD 2 because I kind of like the first one

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gopher said:

I don't think it's controversial to say it's been a rough summer at the movies. Disappointment after bomb after negligible film. Yet I'm inclined to pick through the wreckage and make cases for what films I was happy to see an audience respond to (positively or negatively) a specific way, and seemed to signal good tidings for the future. I thought given how diverse the tastes of these boards tend to be, many members can chime in with many reasons. 

Also, in the face of constant internet civil war, who doesn't like a warm and positive discussion?

For starters, I just saw that The Lobster is closing its run just under 9 million dollars. For a baffling, bizarre, not-made-for-US-audiences-whatsoever film that was slated to be dumped by a failing distributor, A24 picked up the slack and gave it a proper platform run. Yet it still felt like a film audiences discovered early on, recommended, and kept around for a while. Weird even when critically acclaimed won't always hit (see: Swiss Army Man's middling box office) so I love success stories like this one. 

On the studio side, Lights Out - a truly solid horror film borne from a singular filmmaker's style that refused to pull its punches -  opened against several tentpoles that couldn't muster any staying power and went on to a 3x multiplier after a very good opening. Horror may be the cornerstone of the original live-action studio movie these days, but I don't think it'll ever go away. 

And of course I was thrilled when Sausage Party did better than Team America: World Police in just one weekend. 

Studios have never done better movies than today.

Your whole point is moot and seeded in your very peculiar tastes.

• Like 1

Three Things:

1). Rejection of unnecessary sequels such as IDR, IA5, AIW2, and TMNT2

2). Comedy and Horror movies breaking out like Sausage Party, Bad Moms, LO, TC2, etc.

3). The entire run of Finding Dory.

I haven't seen it yet, but Hell or High Water seems to have come out of nowhere and is kicking all kinds of ass at the indie circuit of the box office. A total of 20m+ doesn't seem out of the question. Love and Friendshlip and The Lobster also did a great job of carrying the indie scene earlier in the summer, and Don't Think Twice recently to a lesser extent. Swiss Army Man didn't set the world on fire, but thank god for A24 for the sole fact this movie exists.

Horror in general seems to be doing great this summer. Of the four major horror releases this summer (TC2, Shallows, LO, and now DB), each has been at least a mid range hit and has been certified fresh on rotten tomatoes.

The Secret Life of Pets (Which I didin't love, but admittedly enjoyed - Illumination knows what they want to do with their stories, and Sing curiously looks to be different - but I digress) proved for Illumination that Despicable Me wasn't a fluke. Regardless of your thoughts on it, two animated films coming out within a month of each other and combining to over 800m+ is incredible.

Also, this may be cheating, but it's given us a glance at a Holiday season that could turn everything around: Doctor Strange, Arrival, Billy Lynn, Fantastic Beasts, Moana, Bad Santa 2, La La Land, Office Christmas Party, Rogue One, Passengers, and Sing all look like they could either be quality or massive hits at the box office, if not both. As we often say on here, it is always calm before the storm.

• Like 4

In terms of the summer, only HELL OR HIGH WATER's promising little run has brought me real happiness. Of the rest, either I didn't really care enough (Dory, SLOP, basically every tentpole) or I haven't seen the movie (Bad Moms). It's nice to see horror/thrillers doing well -- collectively they've had a great summer. I didn't care much for THE SHALLOWS, but it's the sort of movie I wish studios would make more of, so its run was promising too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

In terms of the summer, only HELL OR HIGH WATER's promising little run has brought me real happiness. Of the rest, either I didn't really care enough (Dory, SLOP, basically every tentpole) or I haven't seen the movie (Bad Moms). It's nice to see horror/thrillers doing well -- collectively they've had a great summer. I didn't care much for THE SHALLOWS, but it's the sort of movie I wish studios would make more of, so its run was promising too.

Tele you should see Bad Moms. Hail Kathryn Hahn!