Gopher

What summer 2016 box office run gave you hope?

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

NuTella is the type of person that is all like "Bad Moms, movie well received with good reviews and great WOM? Nah I will see it in VOD" but looks at a fucking Mechanic sequel and says "I am gonna see this OD, totally worth it.".

Fuck NuTella. 

But aren't you the type of person to see Mechanic on OD? :redcapes: 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

NuTella is the type of person that is all like "Bad Moms, movie well received with good reviews and great WOM? Nah I will see it in VOD" but looks at a fucking Mechanic sequel and says "I am gonna see this OD, totally worth it.".

Fuck NuTella. 

It *was* totally worth it. 

• Like 2

• Community Manager

Pfft, I'm with Tele. Bad Moms can wait. Only 61% on RT. Come on guys, let's not act like he's missing Ghostbusters!

I wouldn't say any summer 2016 box office run gave me hope. If anything, I'm still reeling from Star Trek Beyond's disappointing run. :(

• Like 1

Hell Or High Water is a slightly smaller version of the Gift -a late summer indie hit that stunned everyone by being so good. Otherwise, vom. My favorite studio movies (Popstar, Ghostbusters, Star Trek Beyond) either outright failed or disappointed. Civil War and Central Intelligence were the only major films that I both liked and came close to/exceeded expectations, and even they had relatively blah and predictable runs. But I'm with Spags here, fall and winter look amazing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gopher said:

I don't think it's controversial to say it's been a rough summer at the movies. Disappointment after bomb after negligible film.

11 hours ago, Kalo said:

This summer was a catastrophe, I'm glad Civil War managed to do over $400m domestically and $1.15b ww.  I wish Star Trek would have made the money it deserved, and Suicide Sqaud should have bombed. Pete's Dragon deserved more too. Yeah like literally Civil War was the only film I saw that I was happy about it's box office take this summer.

Every single year like clockwork we get these sort of posts.  The trades LOVE to do them about mid summer when a couple high budget movies don't do as well as some thought they might and we get the standard "Hollywood is in huge trouble!!" article.  

Of course somehow through all of this supposed disaster the box office is actually up.  There were movies that were huge hits, movies that were hits, movies that made money, movies that surprised and then of course movies that sucked and bombed.  

Summer 2016 gave you Civil War, The Nice Guys, Love & Friendship, Popstar, The Conjuring 2, The Lobster, Finding Dory, Central Intelligence, The Shallows, The Secret Life of Pets, Lights Out, Star Trek Beyond, Bad Moms, Hell or High Water, Florence Foster Jenkins, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party, Kubo, Don't Breathe and Southside With You.  

This doesn't even count the poorly reviewed but audiences seemed to like and connect with stuff ike Tarzan, Suicide Squad, Jason Bourne, Me Before You, Money Monster and The Angry Birds Movie.  

It wasn't a rough summer, it wasn't a catastrophe.  

• Like 2

1. SLOP (it's doing much much better than I expected, passing IO's DOM)

2. Dory (its run before SLOP is absolutely incredible)

Other movies I've watched is disappointing either in legs (Civil War) or in quality (Suicide Squad) 

I missed a lot of movies this summer because I had my first long vacation in 5 years

My favorite movie I watched IN summer is The Jungle Book

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hell Or High Water is a slightly smaller version of the Gift -a late summer indie hit that stunned everyone by being so good. Otherwise, vom. My favorite studio movies (Popstar, Ghostbusters, Star Trek Beyond) either outright failed or disappointed. Civil War and Central Intelligence were the only major films that I both liked and came close to/exceeded expectations, and even they had relatively blah and predictable runs. But I'm with Spags here, fall and winter look amazing. 

I agree on The Gift.  Well deserved and a really good movie that isn't talked about enough.  

This year Bad Moms.  

It wasn't until I read the first post I realized how poorly every potential blockbuster has performed (save for suicide squad and dory which on the other hand had bad leggings). 
But this summer's been great. July was the second best July ever (tied with 2013). August will be the second best august after 2014's. May was of course a minor catastrophy, but spring 2016 made up for it big time. 

But hope... SLOP and FFD overperformed if you ask me. Unoriginal and lazy stuff. Same goes for suicide squad.

Bourne was bourne good on the other hand and should have made it to 200m., and Star Trek 3 is meaningful and beautiful blockbuster which should have earned more like 250m. 

If Nice Guys had made 150M a little spring of hope would also have entered my day. Too bad. Because that one was really good. Not zootopia good, but really good. 

17 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Every single year like clockwork we get these sort of posts.  The trades LOVE to do them about mid summer when a couple high budget movies don't do as well as some thought they might and we get the standard "Hollywood is in huge trouble!!" article.  

Of course somehow through all of this supposed disaster the box office is actually up.  There were movies that were huge hits, movies that were hits, movies that made money, movies that surprised and then of course movies that sucked and bombed.  

Summer 2016 gave you Civil War, The Nice Guys, Love & Friendship, Popstar, The Conjuring 2, The Lobster, Finding Dory, Central Intelligence, The Shallows, The Secret Life of Pets, Lights Out, Star Trek Beyond, Bad Moms, Hell or High Water, Florence Foster Jenkins, Pete's Dragon, Sausage Party, Kubo, Don't Breathe and Southside With You.  

This doesn't even count the poorly reviewed but audiences seemed to like and connect with stuff ike Tarzan, Suicide Squad, Jason Bourne, Me Before You, Money Monster and The Angry Birds Movie.  

It wasn't a rough summer, it wasn't a catastrophe.  

I meant on a personal level. which Star Trek Beyond did so poorly internationally I fear they won't even do the sequel becuase of that. and I loved it. I haven't seen most of the indie films yet, mostly do to where I live. and sure some did okay. but they still stayed in their safe "indie" zone BO. as for Suicide Sqaud. sure it did great numbers, but I was soo let down by that movie that I feel I was lied to in the marketing and I don't like to see films that are so damaged do so well.  I am glad Tarzan did better than alot of people that, cause I like that genre and it's nice to see there is still an audience for it. but it still may lose money.

Jason Bourne was a big disappointment to me that made me think maybe they should have quit with Ultimatum. so I pretty much lost interest in it's box office. this thread is titled what movie gave you hope. so that's how I responded.