grim22

Labor Day Weekend Thread | 4 day #s - DB 19.5M, SS 12.8M, Pete 8.5M, Kubo 6.5M, SP 6M, Bad Moms 6M, War Dogs 6M, LBO 5.9M, Morgan 2.4M

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Will there ever be a 100M OW movie at this time of year one day ?

:thinking:

If a studio releases a movie with the potential to open to $100 million, yes. If there's anything that we've learned from the last decade, it's that the audience will show up for a true event film irrespective of when it's released (save for the exception of Super Bowl weekend, given that the big game will inevitably crush every single thing in its path). The trick will be convincing a studio to release a film with any kind of potential over a weekend that is typically seen as prime dumping ground.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

I know it's probably going to be a case of history repeating itself given that yet another young, hot Oscar winner is involved, but Alicia Vikander's involvement in Tomb Raider gives me far more hope than I've ever had in a video game adaptation.

Funnily enough, I was just trying to remember something - ANYTHING - from Prince of Persia, the most recent video game adaptation to feature an Oscar nominee in the title role while driving the other day (no idea why). Other than Alfred Molina's very welcome comic relief as an ostrich-racing magnate (not making that up) and the fact that the title character was basically carrying a physical Deus Ex Machina in his pocket throughout the entire film, I had nothing.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I know it's probably going to be a case of history repeating itself given that yet another young, hot Oscar winner is involved, but Alicia Vikander's involvement in Tomb Raider gives me far more hope than I've ever had in a video game adaptation.

Funnily enough, I was just trying to remember something - ANYTHING - from Prince of Persia, the most recent video game adaptation to feature an Oscar nominee in the title role while driving the other day (no idea why). Other than Alfred Molina's very welcome comic relief as an ostrich-racing magnate (not making that up) and the fact that the title character was basically carrying a physical Deus Ex Machina in his pocket throughout the entire film, I had nothing.

Jake Gyllenhaal is doing some other video game adaptation with Jessica Chastain. Oh Jake.

• Like 1