DAJK

Weekend Actuals: Sully 35M, WTBB 14.2M, DB 8.25M, SS 5.72M

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Basically tomorrow when estimates are released.

I think Sully can probably leg its way to around 135-140M by the time it finishes its run. It is competition free till Deepwater Horizon (which Lionsgate seems to have forgotten they are releasing based on the complete lack of marketing efforts so far)

I think it will share a market with Mag 7 but not more than Bourne did with STB. Still, I think both Bourne and STB were hurt by being so close together, particularly STB which started losing theaters before it could swing back after Bourne's opening.  I think both Sully and Mag 7 would do better if they weren't opening so close to eachother, as well, but at least they are two weeks apart.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Basically tomorrow when estimates are released.

I think Sully can probably leg its way to around 135-140M by the time it finishes its run. It is competition free till Deepwater Horizon (which Lionsgate seems to have forgotten they are releasing based on the complete lack of marketing efforts so far)

LionsGate has no idea what they are doing. They will be gone soon I believe. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

LionsGate has no idea what they are doing. They will be gone soon I believe. 

They are living on horror films, and small budget films. Nerve and Dirty Grandpa did both decent numbers for smaller budgets, and Grandpa did nearly $95 million worldwide on a $11.8 million production budget. Nerve made around $55 million worldwide so far on a $20 million production budget. But yeah they need to make a game plan on their next batch of films, because Blair Witch and Medea aren't enough(although they should do decent numbers). La La Land should be their first awards contender since Crash. 

45 minutes ago, lobogotti said:

We might be getting a $15M+ Saturday for Sully.  My theater and ones around me are selling out like crazy.  I'd say $14M is a lock, and I feel like $14.5M is the floor.

$15 million could happen the older audiences can go see matinees and sometimes night showings(older people have to work to eat and keep on the lights on for the weekdays too).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Hanks top 10?

1. Forest Gump

2. Bachelor Party

3. Big

4. You've Got Mail

5. Splash

6. The Burbs

7. Saving Private Ryan

8. Sleepless in Seattle

9. Da Vinici Code

10. That Thing You Do!

Da Vinci Code but no Money Pit? NOPE.

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I wonder if Warner Brothers will fire Kevin Tsujihara. According to the trades, this might be the most disastrous run to 2 billion for a studio. Three of the top four from the studio were termed "flops", but the studio has a very good chance at the coveted 2 billion mark anyway.

? I seriously don't get this. How are BvS and especially SS termed flops? Like, what run where they expecting from SS?!! And when a studio is hitting 2b DOM foor the year it is IMPOSSIBLE to be deemed a bad year. It only happened 4 times in all BO history (2x Disney, 1x Universal, 1x Warner and it looks WB will add it's second year with 2016).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James said:

? I seriously don't get this. How are BvS and especially SS termed flops? Like, what run where they expecting from SS?!! And when a studio is hitting 2b DOM foor the year it is IMPOSSIBLE to be deemed a bad year. It only happened 4 times in all BO history (2x Disney, 1x Universal, 1x Warner and it looks WB will add it's second year with 2016).

The only people calling them flops at this point are DC fans posting sarcastically to make a point. Like the message you replied to, BTW.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

The only people calling them flops at this point are DC fans posting sarcastically to make a point. Like the message you replied to, BTW.

Yeah. I actually think that some DC fans are creating a false narrative so that they get to act super righteous. Very few posters have SS a flop in the first place - an odd one here and there (BVS got shit thrown at it for under-performing at the bo, missing mediocre expectations of 350, coming under GOTG, but I think people agree that it made a lot of money and is a hit).

edit: Though I don't mind their rejoicing considering there has been a lot of doom and gloom talk around DCU and SS is now a big success all around.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I could give you quotes from Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter, Tracking Board, etc but they might be sarcastic DC fans.  Btw, I'm a fan of many things and was disappointed by Suicide Squad. I don't think it's unfair to make a point there are people who want to paint the box office of these movies as a failure. For example, Rob Liefeld will continue to tell you Suicide Squad lost money. Thanks for stratifying me though. 

30 minutes ago, James said:

Yeah, this is the first year for a studio to repeat at 2b+. Disney got it done. Warner might get there. I wouldn't give the credit to Kevin Tsujihara as the studio already had the franchises making this money, but just a month ago several on these forums and some "professionals" were speculating the demise of the higher ups for the studio. That's not to say I'm happy with their movies because 3/5 of their 100m+ disappointed me. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'd watch it with that RT score for Snowden. Political thriller and a very hot button issue right now. I'm not saying it'll be good but there's going to be a lot of reviews based more on the politics surrounding it than the actual quality.

It's interesting, if you look at Metacritic there are a few 50s and then two 100s. Extremely split. It's rare for films with mixed reviews to receive 100s on Metacritic. 

It drives me crazy that Snowden is even considered a controversial figure. He did the right thing, but half of our population is fucked in the head and thinks someone is a traitor if they don't stand for a goddamn song.  

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 2