chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

HTTYD2 has all the makings of a great movie, and yet the final result doesn't leave much of a lasting impact. Is it because the movie doesn't spend much time exploring one single element in depth and instead spends time juggling several and doesn't quite do full justice to any of them? 

It's got more action but less character moments than the first one; in the long one it's always character that makes a movie enjoyable - action wears off.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Thegun said:

I can't believe A Bugs life is so high.  Antz is so much better, and it came first and actually started the craze.  Though the story around the two films is pretty crazy.

A Bug's Life is much better than Antz. I'd still place it in the upper half of Pixar films, It's underrated if you asked me.

• Like 7

A Bug's Life is just more appreciated around these parts. I think Antz is a bit more funnier, but it suffers from being rushed out by Katzenberg, so he could beat Lassester. The script is good, but the character designs suffered a lot because of it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

HTTYD2 has all the makings of a great movie, and yet the final result doesn't leave much of a lasting impact. Is it because the movie doesn't spend much time exploring one single element in depth and instead spends time juggling several and doesn't quite do full justice to any of them? 

It's actually focused largely on a single story idea, with some scattered ideas here and there. Personally, I think it's a very good movie, and it was somewhere my around top fifty. It's gone down a few points in my list, but that's to be expected, since I've seen quite a few animated films since then.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2016 at 0:13 PM, chasmmi said:

64th - Robin Hood

108pts - 11 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: 70th Up 6)

Still the best adaptation of Robin Hood to date. 

This is one of my own personal top 10 Disney films (I'd place it near the top of the bottom 5 of the top 10 [that's about 6-8th in actual English). Once I got past the confusion of Baloo playing Little John, it just becomes a great fun Disney classic that a young me never knew was actually a cheaply made cobbled together animation that blatantly steals scene and animations from previous films. 

Despite its setbacks, Robin Hood has great characters, wonderful songs and one of the more fun villains in the Disney canon. The film is a surprising joy and it's nice to see it get some love. 

A slight increase too which makes me happy. Especially as we closer to the summit. 

The movie is charming but noooooo...

"Why, you speak treason"

"Fluently"

Edit:  After reading the later posts I see @Jake Gittes beat me to it

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Thegun said:

Surely you jest.  There is nothing remotely interesting about A Bugs Life, especially when Antz does the exact same story, but adds edge and humor.

This is the first time I've heard anyone describe Antz as a retelling of Seven Samurai.

• Like 1

51st - The Wind Rises

149pts - 9 votes, 1 first, 2 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 117th Up 66)

The final film on the list to receive less than 12 votes, and it received 9. 

And it would have been 8 if I hadn't seen it literally on the list deadline (and placed it about 70th or so and not actually affecting anything at all list wise).  This is the second Ghibli film to make the list that I have actually seen and while I fell in love with Marnie, The Wind Rises was... fine. It was pretty, very pretty, I liked that it was just a story about a guy trying to build a plane and didn't try to become a political rant, but I also wanted a little more to happen in this film.

It is such a well made film and i can see why some would love it (I did really like it), but it just didn't quite hit me the way most of the Ghibli I have seen did.

The big 60 place increase is impressive and likely due to the film being pretty new and unwatched at the time of the last poll.  

• Like 9

50th - The Princess and the Frog

150pts - 18 votes,  (2014: 71st Up 21)

I saw this for the first time last month too and then had to check with people if this film was horribly racist or if people actually spoke that way. 

Well yeah, this was a weird film. There were a few cool bits and fun ideas. The bad guy is pretty creepy. I wanted the firefly to die a horrible gory death from the first second I saw him and then was kind of shocked by how his arc ended. Overall, I liked parts of this and can see elements of what turned Disney awesome after this film, but it was also a bit too weird and disjointed for my liking. 

A 21 place increase suggests that people are getting round to seeing this film and giving it adequate love (hence the huge 18 different votes) 

• Like 10

49th - The Land Before Time 

152pts - 13 votes, 2 top 10  (2014: 54st Up 5)

My personal favourite Bluth film turns out to be the top Bluth film, hurrah!

Whereas NIMH scared me senseless and Feivil put me through emotional turmoil, this was the film I watched a million times as a kid. I really enjoyed this film so much and despite the darkness of other films, this has one of the saddest moments in animation when it comes to Littlefoot and his mother and maybe solidifies the idea that you can put a kid through anything and if there is a happy ending, the kiddies will enjoy it. 

If you have never seen this film, then you need to change that status ASAP (and then ignore the 47 sequels).

It's holding strong since 2014 too which is pretty nice. 

• Like 9

48th - Coraline 

154pts - 15 votes, 1 top 5  (2014: 39th Down 9)

We have come to the penultimate film on this list I haven't seen...

Another of those Laika, stop motiony things and this is apparently the best one so I should probably give it a go at some point (although Frankenweenie actually feels the best to me purely based on the trailers.)

The film has dropped about 9 places since the last list which is pretty much holding station bar a position or two once factoring in the new films of the past 30 months. 

• Like 10

47th - Despicable Me 

154pts - 16 votes, 1 top 5  (2014: 51st Up 4)

Of all the films to increase in the face of the foreign/artistic onslaught, this one is pretty unexpected by me.

I mean I like this film and the minions are of course wonderful in this, but with the films that we have seen drop 20 or 30 places in this list to make way for a bunch of lesser known but highly regarded films, I would have thought Despicable Me would have suffered greatly too.

I am pretty glad it didn't though. Hovering close to 50th works well for my opinion of the film and it has a lot of charm to it. Despicable Me 2 on the other hand dropped like a stone. 

• Like 6

46th - Dumbo 

160pts - 13 votes, 1 first place, 3 top 10  (2014: 37st Down 9)

Tim Burton, I am warning you. Fuck this one up and I will come for you. 

The film that made you believe that an elephant could fly and one that I need to watch again as an adult (seriously one of the things I am legitimately looking forward to about having children one day is having a cast iron reason to force me to watch all the Disney animated back catalogue again one day).

Dumbo is a lovely, if at time confused film that has scenes memorable for the emotion, the fun, the insanity or the ...well yeah the other stuff. The animation quality here also defies its age in my opinion and holds up a lot better than say Snow White or many of the other pre-1953 Disney stuff does. I can fully understand why one (or 4) would place this film so high on their lists. 

And yet this one drops places. Not a huge number and is probably yet another net non-mover in reality. But I possibly would argue that Dumbo should be finishing closer to 25th than to 50th in a list like this. 

• Like 7