Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

11 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

Big problem with MPR was that the songs sucked. Musicals live and die by their music (I know, duh, but it bears repeating). If Wonka has a banger or two on the soundtrack, it will make bank. If not, it will fizzle.

Read in some reviews that the songs aren’t very good but the musical numbers are amazing due to exceptional visuals 

could work

• Like 1

Great start, I like the content of the reviews, they make it seem like this movie could have great WOM and explode with the GA if they market it just right.

I will really need to try to watch it, gotta make my avatar justice I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I just read the article about CHalamet on VULTURE. They say he's the next big star, the next Leo diCaprio. Without much competition in his age bracket and a horde of fans, i think they might be right

https://www.vulture.com/article/timothee-chalamet-movies-next-leading-man.html

Does that make Tom Holland the next Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise?

no, it doesn't make sense

1 minute ago, Arlborn said:

Great start, I like the content of the reviews, they make it seem like this movie could have great WOM and explode with the GA if they market it just right.

I will really need to try to watch it, gotta make my avatar justice I guess.

They should make Timothee Paddington's boyfriend in the next movie IMO. Just think of all the money they could make.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

Just now, Arlborn said:

Does that make Tom Holland the next Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise?

no, it doesn't make sense

I read Tom Holland tested for Wonka, but the producers wanted Chalamet. It's obvious Chalamet is one step forward Holland. Chalamet does prestige movies

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

52 minutes ago, Litio said:

Yes, Timothee hasn't proven himself to be a great actor, he's not good at roles that require charisma, and he hasn't proven to have the comedic timing to be considered a diverse actor, but people treat him like he's one of the best new talents. If he was a black actor (and wasn't a nepobaby, mainly), he wouldn't be treated like this

That’s ridiculous I’d say the reverse is more true. Timothee proved himself with Call Me by Your Name and his early theater work. He hasn’t been on that level since except for maybe Beautiful Boy where he was pretty great. He got in for his talents but has been given roles still from the hype after CMBYN. This isn’t a matter of race Hollywood has changed so much from the last couple of years. There hasn’t been a major Hollywood film where a POC isn’t playing at least a major supporting role. We should recognize and celebrate that and stop the divisive racial complaining people love to continue to do. You aren’t a better or moral person for only wanting perfection and putting down people for not living up to your misguided standards. 

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I just read the article about CHalamet on VULTURE. They say he's the next big star, the next Leo diCaprio. Without much competition in his age bracket and a horde of fans, i think they might be right

https://www.vulture.com/article/timothee-chalamet-movies-next-leading-man.html

...I dunno about "the next DiCaprio" but he is likely gonna be big

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

80% on RT out of 55 reviews 7.5 out of 10 average rating. I just can't stop thinking this is Mary Poppins Returns all over again from the RT score, to the release date, to it being a musical. 

Mary Poppins was never reintroduced to modern day audiences,, so it always had a hard ceiling on it. The Depp version is well-liked and reintroduced the IP to younger audiences and has had a strong post-theatrical. Timothee is also a big draw amongst Gen Z, which will also help.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Mary Poppins was never reintroduced to modern day audiences,, so it always had a hard ceiling on it. The Depp version is well-liked and reintroduced the IP to younger audiences and has had a strong post-theatrical. Timothee is also a big draw amongst Gen Z, which will also help.

Is he?  What movies was he a big draw? Dune's audience was because it was Dune.  Looking at pre-sales for Wonka I'm just not seeing it. Maybe, WOM will be amazing. 

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

I don't agree. I think the Musical hurts it. Live action musicals vs a fun action adventure movies released over the Christmas.  The fun for families action movies like Jumanji, Aquaman, NWH,  Night at the Museum have a greater chance to hit vs Greatest Showman, Mary Poppins, Cats, West Side Story, Pitch Perfect 3.  I think the Live Action Musical piece limits your audience.  Guess we'll see maybe audience's preferences have changed.

Thats because live action musicals for kids almost never get made. There’s MPR and…? Kids love musicals that have the music though, all the animated ones etc 

53 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

That’s ridiculous I’d say the reverse is more true. Timothee proved himself with Call Me by Your Name and his early theater work. He hasn’t been on that level since except for maybe Beautiful Boy where he was pretty great. He got in for his talents but has been given roles still from the hype after CMBYN. This isn’t a matter of race Hollywood has changed so much from the last couple of years. There hasn’t been a major Hollywood film where a POC isn’t playing at least a major supporting role. We should recognize and celebrate that and stop the divisive racial complaining people love to continue to do. You aren’t a better or moral person for only wanting perfection and putting down people for not living up to your misguided standards. 

John David Washington, who has also The nepotism aurea just like Timothee, also proved to be a great actor in BlacKkKlansman, right? No. People continue to claim he's weak and has no charisma despite John being more charismatic than Timothee. It doesn't mean much, but I don't see people worshiping John David like they do to Timothee. An expressionless white person is sold as cute, but an expressionless black person means lack of charisma, right? Let's not pretend that the reason is his skin colour.

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Even if this fails, Timmy wont be hurt. Timmy is a white handsome dude so gets gets a thousand chances.

How many flops has Ryan Gosling been in and he still keeps working.

The main difference between them is that Ryan has a lot of talent and got several jobs when he was young thanks to his talent only. He is not an industry plant like the protagonist of Wonka.

• Like 1

I will just stick to the movie itself right now , and not whatever the hell else  is going on in this thread,  and say finally a movie where the reviews are better than the social media reactions made it out to be,  at least for now.

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1