Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

12 hours ago, Valonqar said:

30M OW is not happening with Spiderverse poised to draw the same audience. And that one is already selling plus early tracking has it between 35-40M OW so it'll likely go higher. There won't be 50M and 30M openers, more likely 50M and 15M. 

think what you want, say what you will, but Spidey-Verse versus Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines should see 2 40M+ OW's duking it out in December.  

if you were to look at a magazine highlighting Winter's movies, hyperactive fan-driven kids might come up with the same conclusion.  

As an original movie, and since it has been so long since King Kong, I expect Mortal Engines to out-perform King Kong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skunk said:

think what you want, say what you will, but Spidey-Verse versus Peter Jackson's Mortal Engines should see 2 40M+ OW's duking it out in December.  

if you were to look at a magazine highlighting Winter's movies, hyperactive fan-driven kids might come up with the same conclusion.  

As an original movie, and since it has been so long since King Kong, I expect Mortal Engines to out-perform King Kong.  

Mortal Engines is a guaranteed flop. It will be lucky to hit 15mil opening weekend. I'm thinking it does 11-13mil. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, skunk works said:

Engines will be lucky to get a 20 Million opening. It won't even be close between Engines and the Spideyverse movie. I think a few people are wildly overpredicting Spidey verse, but it will beat the snot out of Engines at the box office, easily.

ANd I hope you are joking when you say Engines will out perform King Kong. That is truly a WTF statement.

20 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Mortal Engines is a guaranteed flop. It will be lucky to hit 15mil opening weekend. I'm thinking it does 11-13mil. 

ANd no way can Engines survive the massive competiion coming down the road in the next week. Not even sure how well Spideyverse's legs will be against that massive compettion.

• Like 2

"Make more "original" movies" they said ...

"People crave "original " content" they said ...

"The sad state of Hollywood these days" they said ...

"People are fed up with franchises" they said ...

"Way Too many funny book movies these days" they said ...

"People want original originality they have never seen before" they said

Isn't it ironic ?

Yeah I really do think.

Edited by The Futurist

10 hours ago, The Futurist said:

"People are fed up with franchises" they said ...

Are you suggesting Mortal Engine isn't a franchise and that YA distopia sci-fi is still original by now ?

There is 500 movies released in theater that failed completely that would be better example. 

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are you suggesting Mortal Engine isn't a franchise and that YA distopia sci-fi is still original by now ?

There is 500 movies released in theater that failed completely that would be better example. 

Well, you can only become a franchise until you have a second film.

The first film is still somewhat "original".

Gotta start somewhere.

I've never said that there were too many comic book movies. I'm fine with the amount of comic book movies being released. I also don't bitch about the lack of original films because there are plenty of original films being released. They net a smaller box office usually but they exist. People are just too lazy to seek them out and support them. Calling a film based on a popular book series original is nonsense by that way. Adaptions are not original movies. Period. 

Mortal Engines looks okay but it's not something that I'll go out to the theaters to see and I don't feel bad about that one little bit. If it somehow succeeds then good for it. I don't have some vendetta against anyone involved with the film. My prediction that it won't succeed still stands though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Well, you can only become a franchise until you have a second film.

The first film is still somewhat "original".

Gotta start somewhere.

Somewhere does not need to be from a popular book from a very popular genre that was adapted a lot in the last 10 year's.

If Mortal engine flop can easily be used has an argument of people wanting original-fresh stuff and not yet again YA post-apocalypse distopia sci-fi. Widow is a better example I think.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Somewhere does not need to be from a popular book from a very popular genre that was adapted a lot in the last 10 year's.

If Mortal engine flop can easily be used has an argument of people wanting original-fresh stuff and not yet again YA post-apocalypse distopia sci-fi. Widow is a better example I think.

We could debate for hours and days on what is fresh and original and come up with a gazillion definitions.

It 's not that clear cut.

Arguing that "people want new stuff" while saying "of but the new stuff you are presenting is not really new" leads absolutely nowhere I am afraid.

Unless you have a clear idea of what is new and fresh and "truly original" , then lucky you, all studios will hire you tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Unless you have a clear idea of what is new and fresh and "truly original" , then lucky you, all studios will hire you tomorrow.

Why would studio hire me ? Has you clearly said many time on the past people do not care much about what is new and truly original (or that those words do not matter much).

Appearing has fresh while audience still having a good clue for what they will get from a 30s ads/posters  is probably the important balance to achieve and for that execution will be important and not something you can safely know when you green light, in 2018 an Halloween made in a very classic way appeared fresh in a "they do not make it like this anymore" type of way, 10 year's ago would have not necessarily played like that at all.

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

We could debate for hours and days on what is fresh and original and come up with a gazillion definitions.

It 's not that clear cut.

True, but for a 2018 release: YA post apocalypse dystopia SCI-FI.... would probably not be in the top list of the most fresh and original studio propositions of most, specially about the YA product created during the YA craze in a very formulated way.